PvP in the keep

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Here's a thought....

I think that GOOD RP will almost always avoid PvP. After all, very very very rarely in RL have I ended up fighting with someone directly, even if I completely disagree with them. Sure, that might not be the case with soldiers in a genuine war, or a police officer attempting to uphold the law or if talking with a genuine psycho... But those sorts of things *should* be rare unless you place yourself in a position that they are more commonplace.

And I think a good RPed paladin or blackguard would avoid combat for the most part. After all, a paladin might be better served spying out the power behind the evildoer and the blackguard may want to trick or lure someone over to their deity instead of just out and out smiting them.
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Vio-

In that statement- I will whole-heartedly agree with you. Because in real life we'd have consequences.. (and swiftly) if we acted that way in real life as we do online. It is after all.. part of the "thrill of it".

The reality of the on-line world is-- that we don't. On BSK the penalty for death is very light compared to other servers. The consequences for your actions less severe- so the more fiendish side in all of us can most certainly show itself.. and it DOES...!

And what I've learned in two years of online play is that..

Contrary to real-life.. when RPing online, there is much higher chance of fights coming from it.. than if it was "real".

Therefore- some sort of control need be in place.. to keep a lid on (say it for me Thanatos) "jackassery"....

Again, I'm speaking very specifically to online gaming/NwN/BSK- and no PvP in the starting area. I'm totally FOR it everywhere else.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
warlock
Count
Count

Post by warlock »

ValentianNizzle wrote: We don't need any DM application thingies. We'll just end up with DM Warlock again, and we all hate him. But mainly because he's a Swede.
*Edit*
It wasn't worth posting a page in reply just for you.
Just a few questions to you though:
Do you know why I was removed as a DM?
Did you know me as a DM? - If you did: Did I ever do anything wrong? if so, what?
Blackstone Keep Veteran
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

warlock wrote:
ValentianNizzle wrote: We don't need any DM application thingies. We'll just end up with DM Warlock again, and we all hate him. But mainly because he's a Swede.
*Edit*
Did you know me as a DM? - If you did: Did I ever do anything wrong? if so, what?
Yes, yes and yes, but I see no purpose to elaborate in this thread, seeing as it hasn't got anything to do with the topic but if you'd like I'd be happy to send you a PM stating the reason.
warlock
Count
Count

Post by warlock »

ValentianNizzle wrote:
warlock wrote:
*Edit*
Yes, yes and yes, but I see no purpose to elaborate in this thread, seeing as it hasn't got anything to do with the topic but if you'd like I'd be happy to send you a PM stating the reason.
Please do so.
Blackstone Keep Veteran
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Getting back on track here. My own opion is from my experience is this:

A mod needs an area that is Nonpvp weather that be a keep, town square, or the merchants row. One for those new to the server to get at least 5 mins to figure out if they wish to stay or not.

For those of us who like to RP and not have to deal with some nut who pks you for no reason. Yes we deal with the nuts who can't rp through a sock and those who whine on as if they need the attention. But ignor and they will move on to bug someone else and the rp goes on.

And well ok to take a bathroom break, or stop our RL kids from killing each other in the next room, or stop dinner from burning because we got caught up in the game and the rp or party chat, or to answer that .... just a min... the damn phone is ringing again.... what? No I don't want to buy cream for that I'm not a guy and don't need it.... what? No he don't need it either.... I don't care if it is on sale and I get a 10 days cruse to Port Vareo.... where ever the hell that is..... no.... no.... no.... *click*.... a now what was I saying oh yea - going on at the time so we take a few mins to be AFK.

I entered the picture of BSK around oh August of 2004 it took me about 5 mins to find out I had to buy some stuff and that there was some wolves to go kill outside. So I went out on the road and made a wrong turn and BOOM there were Zombies and some gal fighting them... Well ok I ran around trying not to die and get the hell out of there.

As I get back to safety I get a wonderful tell.. "You bitch! You ran all those zombies into me!" Apparently the other person was not all that high level either and well ok she died. I said I was sorry I didn't do it on purpose that I was new and had only been on for 5 mins.

When that happened I was on YIM with Kace and told him to get over to Blackstone Keep because I just got bitched out and it sounds like we will have fun here. I know a funny way to pick a server. We were just coming from a HC server that went down.

In the end she also said that she was sorry for shouting at me and told me where the wolves were. I had that day visited two other servers where they had pvp right off the bat and in both before 5 mins was up and I was still trying to figure out the main area and where to go folks had come by and killed my char for no reason other than just to do it.

The fact that BSK had a safe zone helped me greatly to decide to stay around and see what was up.

When I made my 2nd char who was Orty I could rp with folks and insult them as a low level and not have fear that they would take sudden offence and kill my char instead we had wonderful arguments in char about the vitues of paladins and folks enjoyed the drowess who was tossing out insults and staying on the edge.

ORty stayed at level 8 for weeks because well ok I knew I would get my ass handed to me if I stepped outside. I only did at odd hours to do a little leveling and get some odd things called forge stones.... how odd. Needless to say Orty was rped through every level she took and many of you know I HATE leveling. It took about 2 months to have her reach level 40. I redid her 5 times.

The first time I really didn't know anything about mages so really muffed it the 2nd time the char glitched and had to quickly replace her with the 3rd version for a event. Then I did a 4th for kicks and opps she was glitched too and so the 5th is the one you all know now. Since I had at the started rped her and she was suppose to be a high level mage I really only used the old Orty for a long time in RPS and quietly leveled the new one.

Yes I was invited several times to step outside the keep and a few times I did do so. A few times to fight mainly to have some fun rping. For years there were some great rps going on in the keep all non pvp. When the wards came up well yes some of the magic show went away but there was still tons of rp going on.

Over all I would of only looked at the server as a hack and slash if it was not for the Keep and a few other places being non -pvp. The non-pvp setting allowed tempers to flair but everyone to have to work it out not just hack and slash bam your dead I win type rp. As Orty I loved arguing with Raven and others who normally have a short fuse. And it was fun keeping the heated descussion going. Not having to fall back on pvp but instead use your mind to rp a way out of something is far more valueable to me and a few others and more enjoyable too.

Yes we did at times go outside to deal with matters. Either I won or lost mostly due to crashing or the light show over powering my graphic cards and boom I was dead. Still there was always a Starkson member to raise the drowess... who really was NOT a member of Starkson until much later. And that reason was rped several times.

The fact that there are jerks that love to bring attention to themselves will happen pvp, non-pvp, or really even on the 6o'clock news. They happen no matter what and about all you can do is either screen shot it and send it to a dm, if a dm is around they will deal with it, tell your friends and they will all gain up on the person in areas they can, Driller will ban them or you just ignor them and they will loose interest and move on.

The other thing is as some do when the tree is being indated with jerks move to your guild hall and rp there. One the jerks can't get in or if they do you can beat their asses to a pulp. Or like with Starkson let them port into a locked room and pretty much ignor them while you go play in the rest of the guild hall.

Ok so I was never around when the Keep was pvp except for the one day Driller changed it and I got to watch Winesa beat the hell out of a pickpocket with folks whinning that she should let the guy get up and let him go. Needless to say the person was a jerk and deserved what he got.

Myself I feel that it is not incorrect to have at least 1 area be non-pvp. I think they layout as it is now is fine. I do think some spells should be allowed in the keep and that is fairly easy to script (Or so I was told by a scripter... cough). I would say allowing a few spells that are low level or buffing is fine but we don't need some jerk firing off fire balls at folks sitting around the tree.

The rules we have now are due to jerks and ues the folks who obey often are the ones who suffer. Not much you can do about that other than ask Driller to ban this person for being a ass... screen shot please. That's why I log not only because I write about the rp later but to catch what screen shots miss.

I agree beef up the guards when their are commoners IN THE KEEP killed. And to given them ts.

It is possible to chase someone from the arena and still kill them in the Keep. I have seen it happen a few times where the action will keep going even through a trans. It's rare but it can happen.

But I will say if folks are going to be jerks they will no matter what because they want attention. I think Driller should allow for more than one arena area to be on the server that if someone is being an ass in the Keep you can move to another arena to duel. The only difference is say if they go to the area in the Starkson forest that the other zones around it are pvp and you can easy go after them.

While I love rping I also did not like HC rp servers so yes I don't like pping in the Keep. Typing out rps is enough of a time taker I don't need some jerk trying to steal from me at the same time. I give them enough chances going to other areas of the server. And yes the few who have tried often die several times until they return the item or get the point. And I have no problem telling everyone in party that so and so is being a ass, pper, or griefing folks. Getting a party of folks hunting down the person often will do the job. At least for me.

Ok this is long it's 6am and I was suppose to sleep.... I have to go to a appoinment and oh joy I only get 3 hours to sleep then drive to DC.... Most likely I will read this over and wonder "Who the hell wrote this?"
The world is a strange place.
GoVols
Count
Count

Post by GoVols »

Just one thing to understand.

No PvP in the keep isn't going to stop any "jackassary". If someone wants to torment people and kill low level players then they will do it in the low level areas.

Not having PvP in the keep will in no way stop someone from breaking rules that are already established. They just won't do it in the open so everyone can see.

If the "jackassary" happened in town where 6+ people could see it, that would be proof without any doubt. If it happnes to 1 person, then it's 1 word vs. another.

Just something to think about. :D
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Freddies Nightmares
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Freddies Nightmares »

I can personally remember one particular chr actin the idot/walley etc etc..and got on a lot of peoples nerves way back when PVP was allowed in the keep...that chr soon stopped when several chrs RPed and RPed it well killing him...that player realised it wasnt wise to upset people.

Iam sure that many can remember many occasions of incidents like this...

But at this particular time as the Keep is none PvP those idiots do and will continue to annoy and harass those who actually want to RP under civil conditions...IMHO if the keep or even a protion of the keep was to return to PvP im sure justice on some would be swift 8)
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

GoVols wrote:Just one thing to understand.

No PvP in the keep isn't going to stop any "jackassary". If someone wants to torment people and kill low level players then they will do it in the low level areas.

Not having PvP in the keep will in no way stop someone from breaking rules that are already established. They just won't do it in the open so everyone can see.

If the "jackassary" happened in town where 6+ people could see it, that would be proof without any doubt. If it happnes to 1 person, then it's 1 word vs. another.

Just something to think about. :D
That's a very valid point.... but it would help protect the noobs..
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

I just don't get this. "PvP in the keep will allow us to kill the eeevil ones and make sure they don't ruin our RP!"

...?

Let's just say a group is standing by the tree, chatting and RPing away, and a jerk shows up. He starts harassing and threatening people, using foul language and so on and so on. Then a goodie paladin gets furious, kills the jerk and justice and balance has won, hooray!

But wait! The jerk respawns (because he doesn't care if he's killed, what's the difference, he's probably a jerk IRL as well and is only logged in to amuse himself by griefing people), returns to town and does it all over again. This time, the paladin gets his friends and chase the jerk through town, encouraging the jerk to continue his behaviour. He's now sitting by his computer laughing his ass off, enjoying the attention.

How is this a good way to deal with it? When you can, oh I don't know, just ignore him? Go somewhere else for a minute? Take a screenshot and deal with the fact that he's bothering you for a couple of minutes, and send the screenshot to a DM? The jerk is banned and the problem is solved.

See, usually the ones that ruin the fun for everyone else like this are the ones harassing the people behind the characters, and thus it is OOC, and OOC problems can't be solved IC. A person bothering/harassing/threatening you this much, that it actually ruins your RP, is a person doing it OOC.

Hm, I don't know if I got my message through or not, but I hope someone understands what I'm getting at? :)
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

Lunatic-High wrote:Hm, I don't know if I got my message through or not, but I hope someone understands what I'm getting at? :)
Yes, this is exactly what I was trying to get through myself, way back at page 2. A few people picked up on it, including Myle, but others seem to not listen and continue to argue in circles.

The bottom line is this. If you want PvP in the Keep because you think it would be fun, then that's great. I see more negative sides to it than positive ones, but that's just me, and I don't pretend to speak for everyone. But if you claim to want PvP in the Keep because it will help dealing with jerks, then you're out on thin ice. Dealing with OOC jerkiness in an IC manner is not only something that shouldn't be made easier. It's something that is altogether a bad idea.
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Lunatic-High wrote:
Hm, I don't know if I got my message through or not, but I hope someone understands what I'm getting at? :)
good point made. Agreed
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

GoVols wrote:Just one thing to understand.

No PvP in the keep isn't going to stop any "jackassary". :D
I think that is what I said as did Myle. It does not matter if the setting is Non, Party, PVP or HC if they are going to be asses they will. The only one who can stop it is Driller by banning them. In the mean time you can ignor them or move on to a area they can not go.

Killing them or playing up to them is only giving them what they want. Attention.

If folks want to move the rp to another place I have no problems helping them out. Most guild halls have limited access and can be use. Often are used. If good folks want to join in on the rp and behave it's not hard to pm the person and rp getting in. Starkson is always open for rp use and as long as no one sets their stone to it it's not a problem.
The world is a strange place.
Roland Deschain
Duke
Duke

Post by Roland Deschain »

ok the post I wanted to reply to has been locked but it was about the same thing PvP in the keep

Here is an Idea for those of you that do not want pvp in the keep, unless you were here for when it was PvP and didnt like it then GIVE IT A TRY. You do not know for sure that you wont like something until you try it.

And it isnt only the OOC stuff that I want to be able to stop, It is the folks who run their mouths IC and think that there is no consequences for it. My characters will ask you nicely to talk to them civily and will then warn you that if you continue to speak so that there will be bloodshed. That is their RP they are normally soft spoken but dont take any ****. If they do not want to be PvP then all they have to do is not run their mouths, very simple.

Does bsk take place in 21st century earth? Ok didnt think so, actually think about what would happen if you were running your mouth in the time period that bsk most realistically translates into.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Okay...

It is no surprise that I do not support making the Keep PvP....

But Roland offered a compromise thats not unreasonable so I would like to continue in that direction...

What about the following for a test:

OPTION ONE
-Make the Keep Party-PvP
-Leave PP disabled in the Keep for the mean time
Leaving the Keep non-PP will remove much of the griefing potential.
-Disable the Wards so spells can again be cast
Allowing the casting of spells will allow mages the ability to act.
-Do not 'charge' players killed in the Keep any XP (add a note in the character creation conversation) and basically consider the damage "subdual".
Since lamers who do not care about their XP, then losing it does not punish them when they are killed by players seeking justice, BUT if players do not lose XP on death in the Keep, then Lamers will not be able to add injury to to insult if they grief PK someone.
-Have the DM's message alert that indicates when a player is killed by another player; indicate specifcally if a player is killed in the Keep. If possible have the DM's get a listing of any "in Keep" PK's since last reset on log in.

OPTION TWO
Leave the Keep as it is but:
-Wands for the DM's to enable/disable PvP, PP, and the wards.
-Do not 'charge' players killed in the Keep any XP (add a note in the character creation conversation) and basically consider the damage "subdual".
Since lamers who do not care about their XP, then losing it does not punish them when they are killed by players seeking justice, BUT if players do not lose XP on death in the Keep, then Lamers will not be able to add injury to to insult if they grief PK someone.
-Have the DM's message alert that indicates when a player is killed by another player; indicate specifcally if a player is killed in the Keep. If possible have the DM's get a listing of any "in Keep" PK's since last reset on log in.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle