Taking other's kills

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

That particular scenario can be very tricky.

Kill-Stealing inherently involves just ONE thing.. and that is.. that a player (or group of players) is already engaged with a MoB when another player (or players) walks up, and finishes the MoB off.
Salt is thrown into that wound when the newly arrived player then pilfers the drop, if any. And then the flame postings ensue.

This can happen by accident:
- Archer types who are engaging a MoB from a distance, and the approaching character can't see the MoB already engaged.
- By accident because someone thinks or sees you are about to bite it.
- And lastly, by sheer jackassery-

In any circumstance, he/she who engages a MoB first should be given the right to finish- or ask for help- from a courtesy standpoint.

If you walk into someone elses battle and begin swinging, flinging or casting, you are setting yourself up for a kill-stealing argument, and unless invited to help- are most likely in the wrong.

It just comes down to player courtesy.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

The archer thing is tricky. I like archers and on Marvale the other day there was another character there wearing similar colors to the Marvale Guards.

I think I fired at her mobs 3 times. Twice it was an auto tragetting thing right after dispatching my own and the other was from a distance as I thought it was just the guards and Cultists.

After apologizing each time, I just left the area so as not to do it again. I can only think that the other player thought "once is an accident, twice is suspicious, but three times...must be some sort of idiot."
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

alot of times in the ants, if see a player is almost dead or losing life very quickly, i finish the mobs (or die trying) to save the said person.. just trying to be helpful, but some peep's also see this as a kill steal, i will leave the loot for them if they stay in the area, if the player goes to the temple, i will claim the said loot.... (to help to cover the expenance of the rise scroll/heal kits etc) if they take it, it is also fine
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

I do similar to you K9, often I will stand aside and ask if they need the help first before swinging into action being the only difference. I will like you also claim the loot if they leave the area in this instance.

However if I happen across them as they die or are dead I'll clear the ants first claim the loot as my recompense for then giving them a rez.

Often I do this because am in stealth mode, and sometimes as such I miss out on some mobs because someone runs in ahead of me from another direction. I stand for a few seconds to see if they are okay then move on if they are. I say this because I have been victim of stealthy loot stealers too, but that another issue al together.
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

On the flip side of the argument, I often play chars who can hide quite well, usually SD's. If I'm engaging with a MoB and then shadow-hide, and that MoB begins to pursue another PC or party, my loss. Usually, I'll try to party up with whoever it is, but if not - I can't expect anyone to just stand there and let me complete the kill while the monster is bearing down on them.
Carpe_DM1
Count
Count

Post by Carpe_DM1 »

Also, if you come across an injured monster, step away and wait to see if someone is invisible, healing or in stealth. even ask ooc //anyone here? it all comes down to courtesy. Sadly thems the breaks if you are a sneaker.
"Common sense is not so common" -Voltaire
"I thought to myself 'Why doesn't someone do something about that?' ...And then I realized I'm someone" - Lily Tomlin (when commenting on the environment and other tragic circumstances)
dmcclain
Count
Count

Post by dmcclain »

I normally stand, like Naga except I'll ask in character if they are ok. Normally just a quick "you ok?" and I go from there. They say yes, I leave, they say no, I stay. I also kill the mob and collect the loot before I rez, not for payment but because I killed them and if there was something there before, they are dead and if they had to respawn it would have been lost loot so oh well. And when I accidentally steal a kill (I have done this with archers a lot and Capt Cliff if that was a little cleric in a black hood...sorry) I say sorry and give the loot back if someone lets me know I was in the wrong. Sorry got ADD and shiny things distract me so if I'm fighting up close, sometimes I don't see the arrows at all till someone telling me and a little peeved. I would never steal a kill on purpose, I get angry when I have a mob, especially ants, and someone thinks I'm overwelhmed and tries to help me, but those are the breaks in playing a halfling so I get over it with a "thank you but I was ok". Didn't mean to ramble...got written up for being late today and I don't feel like doing crap.
"People in Icewater want Hell!"

~Harley Quinn, Batman Hush
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

So there I was, down in the underdark, grinding away on some umgahs. Now my new build doesn't do very much dmg to them, and doesn't really have a high AB. But since the 6 legged wonders don't dmg him, he can stand down there and take the hits until he rolls high enough to dmg one.

Now this is a slow process. We're not talkin a minute/umgah...more like 2-3 minutes. This leads to a long, long day of grinding. Now, about 3 dozen times, I've got a pack of 8 or 9 swarming me...I'm workin on beating the swarm down...somebody runs by and some of the pack breaks off to chase them. 9 times out of 10, the one umgah I had beaten down to within an inch of its life that breaks off to chase like a lost little lamb.

Now, those that brough the lost sheep back for the slaughter, let alone stood there while I finished killing...you rock and I shower you with praises...and beer. Those of you that killed the lost lamb for yourself...HAVE YOU NO SHAME???? :P
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Thanatos wrote:Those of you that killed the lost lamb for yourself...HAVE YOU NO SHAME???? :P
No. Umgah leather is going to be the thing of 2007 and nobody is going to stop me.

Another Umgah, another sale.

And people wonder how come I'm so rich.
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

ValentianNizzle wrote:
Thanatos wrote:Those of you that killed the lost lamb for yourself...HAVE YOU NO SHAME???? :P
No. Umgah leather is going to be the thing of 2007 and nobody is going to stop me.

Another Umgah, another sale.

And people wonder how come I'm so rich.

Oh it's no secret...the sly smile says it all.

Now, Umgah Leather...I could be persuaded to throw down on a nice belt made of it. Maybe a wine flask..? Let me know what's in stock.
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

Carpe_DM1 wrote:Also, if you come across an injured monster, step away and wait to see if someone is invisible, healing or in stealth. even ask ooc //anyone here? it all comes down to courtesy. Sadly thems the breaks if you are a sneaker.
LOL. How nice, and lovely, and polite.

I'll be sure and do that everytime I see an injured monster in the future.
dmcclain
Count
Count

Post by dmcclain »

lol, that's priceless. Stand and wait for the injured monster to kill you so the hidden player can kill the monster and politely rez you. Yes? Just kidding.
"People in Icewater want Hell!"

~Harley Quinn, Batman Hush
Difas
Duke
Duke

Post by Difas »

i generally ask, or open the player folder in that situation... if there is no answer, nor player around (its says in the folder), i kill the mob, and proceed to the next one... everything, even those filthy umgahs, deserve a clean death... not excluding players... :twisted:

is it kill steal if i kill a player someone else is hitting, as in arena?
PURPLE!!!!

PLAYING:
Difas Cend: Gnome Bard, Purple Wonder

Zed: Mule :P

Zacho Cend: Druid of Lia, Slayer of Umgahs
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

My kill steal experience is in the ant farm as an archer/ranger ... I was running aroung putting arrow's into the mob and this person (PC) came by close, I guess trying to get them to follow him/her, then just stopped to watch. I guess they figured I was not finishing them off fasten enough and waded in and killed them all in one or two sword thrusts each, and then took the loot. I guess I could have started a PvP but with that kind of uber weapon fighting over a few bobbles and some gold was not worth it. I did have fleating moments of getting my 40 lvl sor and hellballing the SOB, with ruin thrown in for good measure and a bigbeys crushing hand as a closer. But cooler heads prevailed and it would be metagaming, like having your rhune stone set to the thieves guild to sell pp'd items when your not a member of the thieve's guild. DOH! Did I just saw that!!!
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Difas wrote:
is it kill steal if i kill a player someone else is hitting, as in arena?
Heck, is it a kill steal if you kill the player the monsters are killing? :twisted: