Assassins Guild

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Assassins Guild

Post by BaskingDemon »

No consent p/k and no requirement raise ONLY for members of the Assassins Guild.

1: An experienced dm can oversee the guild by recieving all 'contracts' direct from the guild leader in the form of a pm.

2: All guild members are known and trusted members of the guild. The guild leader must be dilligent in his selection of members, membership is not easy to attain.

3: The contracts are kept as records, thus any screenshots recieved of kills that have no accompanying contract can be dealt with in the harshest terms, as per rules of the server.

4: Kill contracts do not come cheap, the guild will charge (I'd imagine) somewhere in the region of one million gold per kill.

5: This guild will need no new building, it already has one, one of the side rooms in the rogues guild will suffice for their occasional clandestine meetings.

6: All contracts go through the guild leader who then approves or rejects them. Then passes them onto said dm for record. All contracts must be in the form of pm's, they go from player - to guild leader - to dm.

Whether or not a player marked is told (IC or out) by the guild of the contract on him is not something I am sure about. Realism says no, but I think it would make things quite interesting if he was informed prior to the attack (in some cases days or weeks prior).

I like this idea, I see no reason for it not being viable. It came to me quite some time ago, but I diddn't think then was the time to suggest it.

By the way I hve no intentions of being the guild leader, I have not the time. But I am sure there are some experienced, trusted roleplayers who would like the opportunity, and do a good job of it... kind of like the middle man betwen his team of hired killers and the dm.

I really would like to hear everyones, especially drillers, thoughts on this.

I can see no problems with this working at all.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

One other thing ...assassins can be killed on sight by any good PC or group of good PC's. Say a Palidin does a detect evil on you and your decked out in your cute assassin grab he/she can kill that assassin on the spot. Assassin's should only be evil PC's, I have never checked the stats and I think that's right.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Capt Cliff wrote:One other thing ...assassins can be killed on sight by any good PC or group of good PC's. Say a Palidin does a detect evil on you and your decked out in your cute assassin grab he/she can kill that assassin on the spot. Assassin's should only be evil PC's, I have never checked the stats and I think that's right.
Although a true RPed paladin would never attack an evil character on sight. Unless they are breaking the law, such a thing would be murder, which would be an evil act.

Paladins are not and should not be vigilantes, because that is a chaotic sort of thing... Now if a CG ranger or CoT were to see an assassin, however, known by reputation or by act, then they may act rashly depending on their personality, but paladins are supposed to be paragons of law and order. And part of law is not being a judge unless you are assigned to do so. Adjudicator paladins might be like inquisitors, and might be a possible RP build, but would be difficult to keep lawful and good.
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

One thing though. For the purposes of RP, if an Assassin hit is successful, the victim should be perma-killed. Otherwise, if he appears somewhere later, the hit could be deemed unsuccessful. Same thing if a known assassin is found in town or caught in the act and killed, he too would be a perma-kill.
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

The old perma-kill. I have not had experience with it since PnP when we could only rez a char twice. I thought about that when I read the OP.

If perma-kill was made to be a part of this there would have to be consent AND a one time only thing. I think any assassin that failed in the attempt should be perma-killed as well. That would put some meat on a contract and likely make assassination an expensive proposition.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

^ that would be brilliant.

Although the death should only be permanent if they're killed for trying or being found out for the kill.

If this was metagamed, it would lose all it's fun.
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

I don't think anybody is going to buy having their L40 assassin or L40 character perma killed, that is if by perma kill you mean lose character... forever.

I am merely suggesting a system whereby you can kill and leave for dead, 'legitamately', but at a not insignificant cost. Maybe at a small added cost a message can be read out to the dying victim, written by the hirer and passed on after the deed is done?

This guild would need a voulenteer dm to oversee some records, and a guild leader to administer the guild, that's really all.

Also of course a few assassins, perhaps with levels ranging from 5 - 40, so that a for a job against say a L20 character, a comparative level assassin can be used. I certainly have a couple of characters from L10 - 20 that could fit in there, as i'm sure many other players do.

If any dm is intersted in overseeing this, they should say so on here (provided it is approved by driller of course). Then any wishing to take on the position of guild leader could take things forward with the dm directly via pm's.
chbtartdat
Knight
Knight

Post by chbtartdat »

Naw, it's got to be permanent. Otherwise, what's the point of spending so much gold just to have your mark come right back after reset none the worse for wear.

I'd be willing to agree to permanent death for a character as long as the same were true for my would be assassin if he/she failed and I killed them instead.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

permanent death = wasting other people's time who does not want to rp that ie bad idea
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

k9mouse wrote:permanent death = wasting other people's time who does not want to rp that ie bad idea
Permanent Death = Risk one takes and is the better RPer for it.

People Against Permanent Death = Those who cannot remember IT'S A GAME!
alnyndur
Knight
Knight

Post by alnyndur »

Maybe the perma-death can equal the death of the char until his family and friends or others willing to take on this cause, go on a quest to return the soul of the assassinated character back to life.

Adds another RP element to this and does not invalidate the assassination.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

This is all getting needlessly complex. With low death/respawn penalties, assassination is pretty limited. If the "must-rez" rules were dropped, it would have a bit more bite to it, but even then, the character just comes back after reset.

If it's going to get more complex in this idea mongering, how about having characters who are assassinated who DO come back anyway get some sort of token that makes their character some sort of undead creature... Maybe a reaver or something. Then they *could* become a part of the living again if they killed their assassin. That way there would be some sort of ongoing rivalry instigated between assassins and victims... And the good assassins would have hordes of undead creatures stalking their steps, but if they're really good, they'll still be able to beat back their stalkers.

But I think BD's original idea is fine as is, without all the complexities that occur with permadeath and such. But I like my idea the best *puffing chest*
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

eclipse08 wrote:
k9mouse wrote:permanent death = wasting other people's time who does not want to rp that ie bad idea
Permanent Death = Risk one takes and is the better RPer for it.

People Against Permanent Death = Those who cannot remember IT'S A GAME!
this is a lite rp server, why are you always trying to forced rp on people who does not want it? rp can be fun, but they are other aspects to this game as well... think out side the rp box...

please not
you = everyone
Last edited by k9mouse on Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Ishamael
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Ishamael »

Anyone remember that slaughter in the Assassin's guild? Who was it that staged it? I can't remember bt they executed it fairly well.

Now if that guy was in charge, the Assassin's guild would be something to be afraid of!

Oh, and you don't even need to go into the Rouge's guild. There is an actual guild for Assassins. The door can be opened by anyone with the Assassin class.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

Ishamael wrote:Anyone remember that slaughter in the Assassin's guild? Who was it that staged it? I can't remember bt they executed it fairly well.

Now if that guy was in charge, the Assassin's guild would be something to be afraid of!

Oh, and you don't even need to go into the Rouge's guild. There is an actual guild for Assassins. The door can be opened by anyone with the Assassin class.
i have no problem with an assassin guild, but i am consern about the abuse of some poeple might do with that.... it just take a few bad apples to spoil the whole batch....