Monster Loot Drops?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

sounds quite plausible.

Idk if there was lag when i got the drop, though.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

why are we using highdrop() and lowdrop() functions :?: why not let the drop system use whole set of dropable items instead of spitting them up into two sets :?:
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Try reading what I wrote.

-driller
k9mouse wrote:why are we using highdrop() and lowdrop() functions :?: why not let the drop system use whole set of dropable items instead of spitting them up into two sets :?:
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

driller wrote:Try reading what I wrote.

Old Pseudo Code:

1d1000() Amber drop
1d500() Purple item drop
1d300() Good Forge stones
1d100() Regular stones
1d75 socket gems
1d20() Misc crap

New Code
if 1d1000() Amber drop exit code
else
if 1d500() Purple item drop exit code
else
if 1d300() Good Forge stones exit code
else
if 1d100() Regular stones exit code
else
if 1d70 socket gems exit code
else
if 1d20() Misc crap exit code

-driller
are doing this way to make some items more rare then other items :?: instead of letting drops be more random within a given subset (ie high or low) or as one big set :?:
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

K9... It's just like the random loot tables for PnP. You have an X% chance of getting loot from a creature. If you do make that roll, and get loot, then you typically have a d100 roll to determine what type of loot. So, say, given driller's example, there's be a breakdown roll of:

01-30 - Misc. Crap
31-50 - blue drop
50-70 - socket gem
71-80 - purple drop
81-90 - forgestone low/mod value
91-96 - red/blue/yellow forge
97-99 - scarlet
00 - Amber Drop

It's a simple mathematical thing. And the randomizer of NWN may suck sometimes because it randomly picks the same number roll each time. It's why sometimes you'll roll six 1's in a row. Driller is giving scripting examples, but scripting is really just a computerized breakdown of PnP rules in many cases.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

thanks.. at least someone answered my question at least.. i have never used PnP drop tables.. so that is still new to me.. do u know a web site taht explains the high() and low() drop functions and how they relate to the drop table :?: i know computer do not have a good random sometimes, it is hard to get a differenet speed to change the outcome of the complex equation that any random system uses....
.Stinky Pete.
Baron
Baron

Post by .Stinky Pete. »

](*,) For the love of all that is decent, what are you trying to get to with all of these queries? Really? ](*,)

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.

If you look at the pseudo old code you quoted, upon a kill the system generated 6 numbers. Any and all 1's resulted in an item dropping. There were drops of nothing, one or more than one item. With the new system there is a max of one item per kill.

Overall the chance of getting SOMETHING is the same as in the past but there is NO chance of getting more than one item per drop.

Again, this is the pseudo code.

This is a series of IF/THEN statements where a random number is generated when a monster is killed. Without taking the CR factor into it:

In the example code, upon a kill the first thng that happens is the computer generates a number one through 1000.

if 1d1000() Amber drop exit code
else

IF the random number is 1 THEN an amber drops and the drop code finishes. IF the random number is any another number (2-1000) THEN it goes to the next line

if 1d500() Purple item drop exit code
else

IF the random number is 1 THEN a purple item drops and the drop code finishes. IF the random number is any another number (2-500) THEN it goes to the next line

if 1d300() Good Forge stones exit code
else

IF the random number is 1 THEN a good forge stone drops and the drop code finishes. IF the random number is any another number (2-300) THEN it goes to the next line

if 1d100() Regular stones exit code
else

IF the random number is 1 THEN a regular stone drops and the drop code finishes. IF the random number is any another number (2-100) THEN it goes to the next line

if 1d70 socket gems exit code
else

IF the random number is 1 THEN a socket gem drops and the drop code finishes. IF the random number is any another number (2-70) THEN it goes to the next line

if 1d20() Misc crap exit code

IF the random number is 1 THEN some misc crap drops (lots of socketed weapons for me) and the drop code finishes. IF the random number is any another number (2-20) the program finishes and you feel that you got hosed.

That is the best I can explain it. This is nothing more than a table and random numbers (such as they are). There is little else to understand about the way the system determines drops without drillers exact script.

I agree that gong drops are nothing to get excited over anymore and I have found forgie drops to be more infrequent (just bad luck I guess). Just remember, it is the same 1 that generates an amber as the 1 that gets you dead against the Illithids.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

.Stinky Pete. wrote:](*,) For the love of all that is decent, what are you trying to get to with all of these queries? Really? ](*,)

Someone, please correct me if I am wrong.
i am not talking about drops (or lack of them)... i don't care about anymore, but just trying to understand how the code really works and what different functions really work... i am thinking about making a mod and am figuring out how to control the drops if need be
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

For what it's worth, I've created a brand new char too. I've found the wolves and undead don't drop a heck of a lot, but other low level areas are plentiful. By level 5, I've already collected over 200k worth of stuff, including a Vorpal dagger that was worth alot more than the 50k I got from Vogon. Moral of the story? Explore.
Qui Chang
Baron
Baron

Post by Qui Chang »

I think one of the main issues here isn't really so much that the drops have changed but rather since there was never any real big post or sticky explaining it(at least none that I have seen), people were left scratching their heads wondering what in the world happened. "Was it a bug?", "What's going on here?", "Did something change?", etc.... Which then led to confusion and complaining and what not.

I've been playing for a number of years and I too have noticed changes in drops for sure. I remember when I'd find several purple items in one day everyday. Since then I thought they were taken out cause I haven't found even one. And there was a time when there were also light blue items if I remember correctly. Many more yellow items and forge stones it seemed as well. Quite a lot more sockets for sure. I still have never even seen an amber let alone having one in my inv.

Any ways. I realize that yes there are changes and It's all good in the hood. I'd be glad to have a better understanding about how the drops work and to hear directly from the source (Drilla da Thrilla) that things have changed and it is intentional and nothing buggy. And if the drop system has been fully explained in a post already I'd appreciate a point in the right direction. Thanks.
Last edited by Qui Chang on Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When the student is ready.....the master appears" Old Zen Saying
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Qui Chang wrote:Any ways. I realize that yes there are changes and It's all good in the hood. But I'm glad to finally have a better understanding about how the drops work and to hear for sure from the source (Drilla da Thrilla) that things have changed and it was intentional and nothing buggy.
Qui Chang doing his thang, right thurr. But I agree to an extent, some confirmation and explanation would be nice in form of a stickied thread so there wouldn't be a million of them. For shizzle.
Qui Chang
Baron
Baron

Post by Qui Chang »

Haha. Notice how I changed what Niz quoted me. Sorry bout that. I was editing it. Pretty close to the same thing. But yes confirmation and explanation. Especially since I'm seeing posts in this topic saying two different things. That the drop system did change and that it didn't change. *scratches his own head now*
"When the student is ready.....the master appears" Old Zen Saying
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

Qui Chang wrote:*scratches his own head now*
helps Qui scratches's his head while scratheing her own....
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Back to the orginal thread ... monster loot drops are still down. I made two levels out at the ant farm and got maybe 30k totally and only one socketed stone. It would be nice if socketed items, armor and weapons, have a gem or two put on them. Since monster loot is, I assume, the remains of the last adventurer the monster ate.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

With all the powerbuilds and experienced characters, monsters are having a more difficult time finding a good, easy-to-kill adventurer (and their stuff) to munch on.

It's supply and demand, and supply is low because demand is high.
ZOMFGOMBIES!