Bow sockets

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

engine wise, though, that doesn't work. unless there were socketed arrows? that would seem weird to use a socket gem for 99 arrows.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

viobane wrote:engine wise, though, that doesn't work. unless there were socketed arrows? that would seem weird to use a socket gem for 99 arrows.
Maybe an Amber stone could be used on a bow to give the bow a unique ability:
On use: Target desired ammo type and refresh the stack to 99.

Allow the bow to replenish the targeted stack of arrows twice a day?

This way the amber could have a "Ranged" use and the expensive aspect of some of the better arrows could be minimized somewhat.

Just an idea.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I will toy with the ideal of specific arrow crafting.

-driller
KingAwsm
Knight
Knight

Post by KingAwsm »

That would be awesome Myle...the choose the type and replenish to 99!
KingAwsm is the king of all kings.
(thats me)

Siuol Jarna: Blackguard
Fren Kross: Druid
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

driller wrote:I will toy with the ideal of specific arrow crafting.
-driller
Some time ago like 6 maybe 8 months back I believe DM Demitri was looking into the possibility of crafting arrows. Perhaps it got forgotten... But it was suggested this could somehow be tied into a special crafting ability for the Arcane Archer class also the Harper Scout and just maybe an epic Ranger.

Don't think it was either going to be socket based or forge stones... mainly because of costs and availability for every stack of 99 arrows would make it prohibitive.

I would like to see the ability to craft arrows included in some way or other obviously if the arrows can be enhanced in this crafting too would make things interesting for dedicated archer based characters.

In the now old CNR crafting system you could make arrows with elemental damage but only 1 type of damage per 20 or 99 bundles depending how it was set up on specific mods. Trouble with that way was it turned out more expensive to make them than you could buy. Added with all the time you'd have to spend learning all the skills to make them and the gathering of resources.

Not an option here for BSK too much work for Driller to change a well establish mod that 99% are very happy with. But it might be worth a look into just to cherry pick some of the ideas behind it.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I was thinking more along the lines of a Horadric Cube type of device.

-driller
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

it would be an awesome idea.

Use it on a red forge stone, say, and then it has 20 uses to add the red effect to a set of arrows.
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

driller wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of a Horadric Cube type of device.
-driller
If I recall that was a diablo game item that you could combine items into one new item with all the effects of its component items.

Seems a like a good idea to have something along those lines, it would enable characters to combine the damages to their own tastes.

I still would not favour having to use forge stones for such particularly reds as they are very hard to come across these days. Even as suggested 20 times use for crafting ... arrows tend to fly off the shelf very quick when your epic AA.
Elf of Silver
Knight
Knight

Post by Elf of Silver »

I have a Zen archer cleric I never use to fight unless its DM event related simply because its too expensive. Arrows do so little damage without the magical enhancement the AA gets.
Lukas_Mandingo
Duke
Duke

Post by Lukas_Mandingo »

Haha! i knew this was a good idea! by the way, what's mighty?
~hello iam Lukas Mandingo, just the friendly neighborhood gnome~

lvl 40's-
Lukas Mandingo
Undead Lord
Caldor Bet'e'line
Lefur Nufgenk
and the latest and greatest...~The Black knight~
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Normally when using a ranged weapon, a character cannot apply their strength modifier to damage rolls. The mighty property allows the character to apply some or all of their strength bonus but never exceeding the mighty value. If you have an archer who will never have a higher strength than say 26 (Base of 14 +12 from equipment) then you won't need more than +8 mighty for that character's bow since his strength modifier would max out in that case at +8.
The only constant is change.
Lukas_Mandingo
Duke
Duke

Post by Lukas_Mandingo »

ahhhh i see, but it doesnt really help if your archer is all dex.
~hello iam Lukas Mandingo, just the friendly neighborhood gnome~

lvl 40's-
Lukas Mandingo
Undead Lord
Caldor Bet'e'line
Lefur Nufgenk
and the latest and greatest...~The Black knight~
winteraven
Count
Count

Post by winteraven »

What Caesius means is that to attack your dex bonus still applies... the strength bonus from the mighty part of the bow applies to extra damage.

If you have 10 - 11 Str (0 ability modifier)... not including forged items or ability enhancers and no mighty effect on your bow, then you would only achieve the equivalent damage on the arrow ONLY.

For each point of strength after that, say 12 - 13 Str (+1 ability modifier) and Mighty +1 on your bow then you would do the arrow damage PLUS the strength bonus from the mighty on the damage roll.

(arrow damage example) 1d8 physical +no mighty = 1d8 dmg.

1d8 physical + 1 mighty = 1d8 +1 dmg.

(extra arrow damages still apply such as elemental etc I just used the plain arrow.)

Happy Gaming :D
~ I kill things and drink potions~
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

I recall toying with one build which was Bard 7/Red Dragon Disciple 10/Arcane Archer 23 who had both a strength and a dexterity of 36. +13 mighty and +12 from enchanted arrows can add some punch to ranged attacks. His damage output in melee isn't too shabby either.
Last edited by Caesius on Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only constant is change.
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

Among the many ideas I've been working on, this is still one of them, yes.
However, I am in school and I work, so I don't have tons of time to devote to my scripting endeavors.

But I AM still working on them. Different ideas and methods are always welcome as we all have ideas we think would be great. I'm glad to see the idea of the archers weapon is being mulled over by many. (Wish NWN wasn't as restricive in what bows can have added to them, *sigh*)

Thanks!
~Demitri
Queen Naga II wrote:
driller wrote:I will toy with the ideal of specific arrow crafting.
-driller
Some time ago like 6 maybe 8 months back I believe DM Demitri was looking into the possibility of crafting arrows. Perhaps it got forgotten... But it was suggested this could somehow be tied into a special crafting ability for the Arcane Archer class also the Harper Scout and just maybe an epic Ranger.

Don't think it was either going to be socket based or forge stones... mainly because of costs and availability for every stack of 99 arrows would make it prohibitive.

I would like to see the ability to craft arrows included in some way or other obviously if the arrows can be enhanced in this crafting too would make things interesting for dedicated archer based characters.

In the now old CNR crafting system you could make arrows with elemental damage but only 1 type of damage per 20 or 99 bundles depending how it was set up on specific mods. Trouble with that way was it turned out more expensive to make them than you could buy. Added with all the time you'd have to spend learning all the skills to make them and the gathering of resources.

Not an option here for BSK too much work for Driller to change a well establish mod that 99% are very happy with. But it might be worth a look into just to cherry pick some of the ideas behind it.
" The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. " ~Dorthy Nevill