Greater Sanctuary?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:Maybe I should just lock this thread.

Not for any particular reason. Just because PFWG seems on the verge of being entertained.

:)

Myle
oooh, you will pay amigo! You will pay!
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Ok, all the above comment are beside the point ... Greater Sanctuary is not working, period! Both my PC and another had troubles with being spotted in the bloodcult fortress and I was attacked by Umgah's with it running and no offensive actions taken, on two occasions. First I was buffing at the portal with it up, and was killed, and the other just after that. The first time I could not get my buffs up fast enough. There was some lag with the Umgahs but not the bloodcult. It seems to be intermitant and it might be with other spells as well. My shielding elemental and acid might also by on and off. But I can't be sure.

Is there a problem with the script being corrupted? Greater sanc is a balancing spell for weak PC's and this needs to be looked into.
Difas
Duke
Duke

Post by Difas »

if you combine GS with other invulnerability spells (read: Invis, and sanctuary) it generates bug. meaning: if you cast any combination of the 3, and a monster breaks one of them, he will see you, ignoring other effects.

hope i could help :)
PURPLE!!!!

PLAYING:
Difas Cend: Gnome Bard, Purple Wonder

Zed: Mule :P

Zacho Cend: Druid of Lia, Slayer of Umgahs
Valnir
Count
Count

Post by Valnir »

hmmm, well i haven't had any problems with this spell as of yet.
But i'll try to test it with known bosses and monsters with high spot/true seeing.

I did notice that there has to be a monster or pc nearby to get GS to work. In the single player game or on other servers i've played i saw that without anything nearby GS didn't work properly and almost looked like sanctuary. After casting a summon or familiar and then casting gs it seemed the work again. Not sure if it was a setting on those servers but as i said i'll test it.
Valnir Raven

Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

One of the funniest things I saw involving a greater sanctuary occured last night, when I was in the underdark. I was rollin with a mage and he cast greater sanctuary whilst in the temple. When he came back through the portal to the underdark, this shrine thing (that had been following him around for a while) was waiting for him and he swung at it involuntarily, even though it wasn't attacking him. Thus, the sanctuary went out of effect. This went on for some time and was absolutely hillarious to watch. Every time he cast it, the shrine sparklies would be following him and he would involuntarily swing and negate the spell. Had I some popcorn, I would've sat back and enjoyed the show even more.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

I don't know if it's the same here as on Canada West (sorry for the mention of another server), but since they don't use haks and BSK doesn't use haks I thought I might mention it.

True seeing is see invisibility with a high spot chance right? Well, is it the same for monsters as well as for PCs? If not, then monsters with true seeing of the normal uber type will see a GSd individual, just not be able to target them.

Also, there is a difference, for some unknown reason, between a clerical GS and a mage GS. To test this on CW, a DM spawned a dragon on a GSd mage. The dragon saw the mage, but could not physically attack him. He could target the ground next to the mage with his breath weapon but that was essentially it.

When the cleric came time to cast GS, the dragon saw him and was able to target him with physical attacks, breath weapons and spells. Casting the GS a second time did not seem to work.

Don't know if this helps or not.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

i must say, it does sound about right. Whenever my mage used GS, he never got hit. my cleric however, frequently was chased.

From what i remember, anyway,
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

NWN Lexicon on EffectEthereal wrote:Known Bugs

EffectEthereal does not appear to create an effect of type EFFECT_TYPE_ETHEREAL but one of EFFECT_TYPE_SANCTUARY.

The Greater Sanctuary spell (SPELL_ETHEREALNESS, x0_s0_ether.nss found in SoU or HotU) uses EffectEthereal, it is the only non-visual effect this spell uses. However recipients of this spell have no effect of type EFFECT_TYPE_ETHEREAL; they have instead EFFECT_TYPE_SANCTUARY. Nothing can be found to indicate the DC used for EFFECT_TYPE_SANCTUARY, so no way to distinguish it from EffectSancuary() apart from what spell it is from.
Source: NWN Lexicon: EffectEthereal

On occasion Greater Sanctuary sometimes misfires as just a regular Sanctuary spell. This seems like the likely cause of those moments when the monsters are noticing you when they shouldn't be.
The only constant is change.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

ah. the facts just seemed to fit the hypothesis, that's all.
ShadowQuaEld
Commoner
Commoner

Post by ShadowQuaEld »

That's why a mage or cleric should never travel without their trusty handy-dandy meatshield fighter. :)