Limiting party size

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Limiting party size

Post by driller »

I am thinking of limiting the size of parties to 8. Parties over the size of 8 strain the CPU and connection. This will have a major impact on lag.

-driller
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

I like the idea. I prefer small parties anyway.
Androc
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Androc »

Yeah, I really can't see why you would need a party any bigger then that.
dm_xeen1
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_xeen1 »

something to think about ....how this will effect large scale events such as a guild wars but in reality freindly fire also kills... just a thought
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

To be honest I tend to avoid parties over 4 or so players, much more than that and its too much talk going on to roleplay or concentrate.

Guild wars and the like, can be coordinated on a more team oriented thing.
Think about any boook or movie, the leader say " you three go that direction, you two come with me ( or something to that effect ) then the three that wasn't in the leaders team go get killed hehe.
makes for better roleplay stories anyways.

"Bones.. Spock..Scotty, come..with.. me!! You, other.. five,,.. circle ... around .. the other.. side... of.. the.....rock!!"

Ain't that the way every other Star trek expendable newly introducd people were? :P

8 party members sound fine to me :)
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
Berforam
Count
Count

Post by Berforam »

great idea
T'banyin
Duke
Duke

Post by T'banyin »

Berf your icon makes me crazy.... :P
~~I am the cat who walks by himself~~
_Murdock_
Count
Count

Post by _Murdock_ »

I know of other servers that did the same to prevent lag and it worked.
Sooooo,...good idea.
oPlayer
Knight
Knight

Post by oPlayer »

Hmm Im not keen on this idea. NWN and D&D is about the party. Its been acceptable and playable up to now.

Just letting people know the effect of large parties might be enough to help. But now you're asking people to constantly scrutinize party memebership and this is just going to be a pain in the butt and probably just make more people ill and irritated than making them happy..

If the lag is too great and the party is that big.. most leave party and make their own anyway.

Please dont mess with the parties. Bleh
FOXY LADY790
Count
Count

Post by FOXY LADY790 »

I like the idea of having a small party :D
I may be small but im fast cunning and very very devious
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

i prefer(ed) to have bigger parties as they encouraged both IC and OOC banter, letting you get to now the playerbase better.
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Bigh parties cause not only lag issues but you often have someone who take quests and they don't look for those who have not had the chance to take them yet in the group. That is very annoying because the newer player never gets another chance to take that quest.

It would also stop the problem with not seeing party memebers too then having to leave party and come back in to see them. It's a good idea Driller.
The world is a strange place.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

oPlayer wrote:Hmm Im not keen on this idea. NWN and D&D is about the party. Its been acceptable and playable up to now.

Just letting people know the effect of large parties might be enough to help. But now you're asking people to constantly scrutinize party memebership and this is just going to be a pain in the butt and probably just make more people ill and irritated than making them happy..

If the lag is too great and the party is that big.. most leave party and make their own anyway.

Please dont mess with the parties. Bleh
People have been told of this before and they still do it on a regular bases. We have even had players in large parties making snide comments about so-n-so being too good to be in their party when an invited person opted out of staying in a large party.

As for guild wars, it is likely better to limit these conflicts to 8 to each side anyways. The lag caused by having 16 players buffing, casting and fighting in the same area is bad enough. Rather than have one big lag filled battle, have a few smalled clashes.

Large parties are a known lag issue and if people want to stand around and chit-chat, they can always gather someplace and do so 'face-to-face', as it were.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

I like the idea of limiting the size of parties..

This should allow for less lag and for those who wish to RP a chance to do so....

8)
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

And confuse the dms even more when they try to understand party chat.

I can remember one DM screaming that if we didn't stop telling jokes they were going to turn off party chat..... Needless to say the next moment they were adding to the jokes.
The world is a strange place.