Not understanding Shifter weapon merging

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
cmdisc
Commoner
Commoner

Not understanding Shifter weapon merging

Post by cmdisc »

Ok, so I've done research online and in-game to try and understand how merging works for Shifters.

I see that regarding Armor bonus, only the highest value from an item is used as all bonuses are converted to Deflection and multiple Deflection bonuses don't stack. This isn't the case for any effects on a character such as Barkskin or Haste. Those still provide the regular effect bonuses.

I also see that regarding stat bonuses, only the highest value from an item is used. So a +5 Str belt and a +3 Str helmet only gives +5 Str in shifted forms, not +8 as in regular form. This isn't the case for any effects on a character such as Bull's Strength. Those still provide the regular effect bonuses.

Where my understanding falls apart is over weapons. I can't seem to get them to function as expected.
I'm a Druid6/Shifter7/DD6 and I tested the wyrmling, basilisk, and minotaur.
I also tested between no weapon (unarmed), a light hammer that did a bonus +1d6 sonic, a kukri with an on-hit effect, a waraxe that was +5 enhancement, and a waraxe that was +3 enhancement with bonus +1d6 each of sonic, cold, bludgeoning.

I used the wyrmling because it had 3 attack forms. I noticed that the bonus damage came through on 1 of the attacks but I wasn't able to find if the attack bonus in the combat log was affected.
I used the basilisk because it only had 1 attack form. No weapon effects seemed to come through...no bonus on attacks and no elemental damage and no on-hit triggering.
I used the minotaur because it had a weapon equipped. Again no noticeable weapon effects just as with basilisk.

My understanding is that weapon properties are supposed to carry over onto a creature's natural attack (one of them) or onto a creature's weapon attack. But I can't get this to work.

What am I missing?
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Not understanding Shifter weapon merging

Post by driller »

Try it after the reset. I fixed a few bugs with it.
cmdisc
Commoner
Commoner

Post by cmdisc »

It seems to be working as expected now. :D

If the form has a weapon, the properties carry over. I wasn't able to test whether Weapon Focus feats work, but I assume they do.

If the form doesn't have a weapon, then one of their attacks is assigned the weapon properties (although it doesn't show up in the character window). The only form I could find that doesn't work is the basilisk. It has 1 attack style and the weapon properties don't carry over. But I'm not planning on using that form so it's not an issue for me.

Thank you for the assist, Driller!
All those who believe in telekinesis, raise my hand.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The Basilisk will work after the next reset.