server wide OOC chat

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Garrett
Count
Count

server wide OOC chat

Post by Garrett »

can we get a chat that can be seen by anyone on a server? Something like shout but global.
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Re: server wide OOC chat

Post by sergeil »

Garrett wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:07 am can we get a chat that can be seen by anyone on a server? Something like shout but global.
I don't want to see annoying communication.
Dyndrilliac
Baron
Baron

Post by Dyndrilliac »

Yea, it would have to be opt-in to be feasible, and I don't know if NWN supports that. Other games of this type, a user can create a new chat channel, and anyone on the server can join that channel to see its messages. If it's opt-in, it's not really server-wide, so I don't see the point. I think Discord is the best we can hope for.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It can be done, but it would have to be an auto opt-in, manual opt out system to halfway work.
SkyBlues87
Duke
Duke

Post by SkyBlues87 »

To me this just smacks of wanting the shout channel reactivated ... The reason this is ... LAG on the server ...

Sending messages to all in game should only be the preview of a DM..

We have as players the town cryer perhaps instead an addition to the options there will suffice...
Where there is a will there will be a way...
Garrett
Count
Count

Post by Garrett »

Well, In my opinion having a global chat is more friendly to people if you want them to join a raid, ask for a help, or go on a event. I've noticed that none really reacts on town crier message.
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

Garrett wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:01 pm I've noticed that none really reacts on town crier message.
Hmmm, why do you think that anybody will reacts to your broadcast. IMHO, town crier is more as enough.
If someone wants join, he will.
Cybermagi
Count
Count

Post by Cybermagi »

Please...God NO!
So many reasons this would be a bad idea...
Peace

Lady Panacea Stormwatcher
Elsbeth Stormwatcher
Drow Arrow
Baron
Baron

Post by Drow Arrow »

personally I like the idea.. while i can understand from an "RP" players perspective the potential dissonance with their immersion, it wouldn't do any harm as long as there was a way to opt-out.

personally I'm more likely to respond to a global chat message than have to go out of my way to meet someone at a town crier, or hunt through the player list to whisper the person that just used the town crier.

I don't imagine I'll change anyone's mind that is against the idea but it would definitely be a boon for those of us that aren't RP inclined.

to be clear though.. the town crier is most definitely a good utility for people that like to keep themselves immersed in the world (although one could argue that a seemingly average town crier that can shout all across the realm that you're looking for a party is somewhat immersion breaking).
Active Characters:
Ragos Meadsmith
Efiel Meadsmith
Avalius Meadsmith
Gharbad Meadsmith
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

If I do this, it will be an opt in.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

This will be in after the next scheduled reset. It is an opt in system.

Type /global_chat to opt in or out.
Garrett
Count
Count

Post by Garrett »

driller wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:23 am This will be in after the next scheduled reset. It is an opt in system.

Type /global_chat to opt in or out.
that's great but can you add a message on a login that tells a player that he can enable global chat with a cmd?