New Player (Ish) Advice requested

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Jibekn_BoW
Commoner
Commoner

New Player (Ish) Advice requested

Post by Jibekn_BoW »

Hello!

Warning, Spoilers to players under level 16 may be present in this post.

I am having a great time on the server so far, my Character is a Dwarf named Flavius Decimus, and I am currently level 16. (Fighter\Dwarf Defender\Weapon Master)

However it feels like Ive hit a brick wall for quest advancement, I have done the quests that i could find in the Woods, Blackstone Keep, the Bordermarch and Skara Brae. The lowest CR quest in my log is 23 which is the Vampire Cult quest which Is beyond me. Ive killed Green and Ice Dragons, Ice Giant Kings, and even helped a random Camper on the Woods.

It feels like Ive missed a quest hub/npc or two somewhere along the line, any advice on where to wander to find some new quests would be wonderful, as right not Ive resigned myself to grinding rakasha in the Dark Woods
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Re: New Player (Ish) Advice requested

Post by sergeil »

I would advise you to grow in open space, exploring server.

But, if you prefer quests, you can find 2(+1) NPC in Blackstone, 2 NPC in Bordermatch, 1 NPC in Skara Brae. Also you have 6 shrines to find and explore (separate line).
Jibekn_BoW
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Jibekn_BoW »

I have completed or reached my abilities to complete those quest chains.

Im starting to think im undergeared AC wise, because when I go exploring and encounter a baddie that examines as challenging or overwhelmingly challenging, they rip me apart in seconds.

Currently have moved to killing minotaurs and looking for the fourth shrine, and checking every merchant I can find for upgrades, Armor wise im great at +5(Bracer), but the other types are +1 and +2, weapon wise I think im good, using a +2 Enhancement weapon with 2 different damage gems.

What also has stung, is Ive only been able to find 10 Piercing resist, 5 slashing and 5 crushing belts.

Ill keep searching, others have succeeded, so I know I will too.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

BSK is more of a party server than a solo one. There is a town crier who can shout for you if you need to find party members.

Otherwise, you need to find a certain merchant that can help you with your gear needs. Ask around in game to find out where this merchant is and how to get to him.
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

Jibekn_BoW wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 6:39 pm I have completed or reached my abilities to complete those quest chains.
3 NPC in Oasis (+ deity quest "Lost City")
3 NPC in Dwarf Citadel
+ Bounty
SkyBlues87
Duke
Duke

Post by SkyBlues87 »

4th shrine you'll find in the ettin enclave, 5th in the ty swamp..

You might try for a few more levels the bount quest giver in the state building in the keep he gives quests for toughier than their CR rating up to level 20 and rewards are nice too often a loot chest drops for the kill of the beast you hunt and then when you return to get another quest your given a legendary item too ...

There is also another bount quest giver in the wastes Oasis too search for him near the way point gives bounty for right up to around level 25 ish too level 37..
Where there is a will there will be a way...
bthorns
Baron
Baron

Post by bthorns »

I will add that sometimes quests disappear from your log without being completed. I have only had it happen from the State building. I would urge you to revisit that building and talk to him to see what he says, also Foxmore. You will need to complete those two quest lines to get quests in the next area. Also, right by the docks where you started is a building with some quests.

Gear will come for sure. In the meantime, maybe visit the smith in Blackstone to add an enhancement bonus (up to +5) to your weapon. Check vendors as well for items sold to them by other adventurers.
Arithor
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Arithor »

You can try typing /init_journal in the chat bar to rest the journal. Sometimes this will fix it. ~ Thank you Driller
~-Characters-
Naga Brightsteel
Naga Kalus
Naga Kalil
Naga McHorden
Naga Asen
Naga Felher
Naga Craftin
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The journal is bugged because Beamdog changed the journal function a while back and it has been unreliable since.
Arithor wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:54 am You can try typing /init_journal in the chat bar to rest the journal. Sometimes this will fix it. ~ Thank you Driller
Dyndrilliac
Baron
Baron

Post by Dyndrilliac »

A few questions from me as well, also a new player (hope it's okay to add to this existing and recent topic instead of creating a new one):

Note: I'm totally down with the whole self discovery thing (I'm currently level 15, so I've been playing for a little bit feeling my way around and exploring prior to asking these on your message board here, just FYI), just not a huge fan of the in-game text chat. I suspect once I get comfortable I'll probably join the Discord server for voice chat. So it's cool if you don't want to give exact details, just some clues to put me on the right track would be appreciated.

1) Is there a way to reset/respec my character aside from the Transfer/Delete/Remake mechanic in the building with the Warden of the Keep? I've seen a lot of other servers that just have an NPC that will zero out your XP and reset you to level 1, then just give you the minimum XP needed to reach the level you were originally (because I don't want to change my choices for level 1, just the following levels). Seems like that is a much better option than having to risk your stuff with some janky transfer mechanic which is dependent on storage that gets erased if the server resets or crashes. The reason I ask is because I assigned my skill points blind not realizing how important crafting is on this server, and would like to re-allocate more to Craft Armor/Weapon if possible and relatively convenient. I'm also not too excited by the idea of risking all the gear I've acquired thus far.

2) Are there any uses for vanilla crafting reagents? When I killed the Green Dragon, he dropped the quest item the quest-giver NPC was expecting to prove I'd killed him, but also the Dragon Blood crafting reagent from the OC NWN. Can I do anything useful with this? Also want to know if I should expect similar loot from the Ice Dragon.

3) Is there any point to keeping the handbook and letter (starting the quest line for the 7 shrines) you receive at the beginning of the game once you've read them? Also, same question for the Key to Skara Brae. I completed the snake cult quest and still have the key even after accessing Skara Brae and acquiring the way point. Is it worth keeping (If I toss it will I no longer be able to travel there?) or can I toss it in the trash?

4) Are there any clues to the locations of Shrines 6 & 7? I've found the first 5.

5) Can you point me in the direction of Oasis and Dwarf Citadel? I've found the way points for Skara Brae, Bordermarch, Dark Forest, and Tyranoid Swamp. No need for spoilers if you're averse, just tell me which way point to start from and which cardinal direction to go and that will be just fine.

6) I acquired a Hand of Justice Holy Avenger longsword (I'm playing a Paladin - P.S. love your script that keeps them Paladin only! Actually gives me a reason to play Paladin instead of Fighter/Cleric... so thanks!) and gave it an enhancement bonus at Gruther's Anvil in Blackstone Keep, and used one of those consumable enchantment gems to give it some minor elemental damage. The trouble is the elemental damage it received is Cold damage, and I'm about to fight the Ice Dragon... and so it would really be nice to have some other element on there right now. So, is there a way to change the enchantment, or is it set forever? If forever, would I at least be able to buy some Alchemist's Fire from a store and apply it right before the fight so I can at least get some fire damage temporarily in addition to the useless (at least against this opponent, not useless long-term) cold damage?

Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the server :)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

1.This server uses ELC(Enforce Legal Character), the issue with zeroing your character to 1 XP is that sometimes it will not reset the skills/feats/spells. This can cause your character to fail the ELC check.

When this happens, the server rejects your character and you will be unable to enter.

Most servers that do the 1 xp thing have ELC turned off, the issue with this is people can easily cheat and give their characters feats/spells/skills that should not have.

That being said, I do use nwnx with the ELC plugin to handle this now, so perhaps I may re-visit this at some point.

2.I believe Dragon Blood is needed for scribing certain scrolls.

3.You do not need to keep the items.

4.Follow Foxmore's quest line.

5.Later in the game, there is a way to remove properties from items, but it takes certain resources and knowledge to do so. It is best to ask around in game.
Dyndrilliac
Baron
Baron

Post by Dyndrilliac »

Thanks for the response! One last question for the time being: Previously while exploring, I found a "mysterious cave" that when I tried to enter, it stopped me and said I should come back after completing all of the tasks for Cranford Jordan in Skara Brae.

I have since completed all of those quests for that NPC, but now I can't find the cave again - I've looked around but don't see it marked on my map anywhere as I move from zone to zone. Can you please point me in the right direction with a small hint, say which way point I should start from, and then I can systematically search the surrounding area on my own?
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Go north from Skara Brae until you can go north longer. You should find it there.
Dyndrilliac wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 4:37 pm Thanks for the response! One last question for the time being: Previously while exploring, I found a "mysterious cave" that when I tried to enter, it stopped me and said I should come back after completing all of the tasks for Cranford Jordan in Skara Brae.

I have since completed all of those quests for that NPC, but now I can't find the cave again - I've looked around but don't see it marked on my map anywhere as I move from zone to zone. Can you please point me in the right direction with a small hint, say which way point I should start from, and then I can systematically search the surrounding area on my own?