Changes.

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Changes.

Post by driller »

Devastating Crit has been changed to act like stock(fort save), but does x2 base damage instead of death.

The spawner script was re-written to clear up a few issue it had. It is a lot faster now. Please let me know if there is any weirdness with mob spawning.

Loot drops should behave better and have a bit more variety. This doesn't mean every chest is going to drop fabulous loot.

The Assassin damage bug should be fixed.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Re: Changes.

Post by Cornflower »

As I like to be clear on the mathematics....
When you say DevCrit is now x2, is that x2 after all other damage has been added, or just the base damage of the weapon, or what?

Example:
Sword d8 + 8 (str) + 5 (EB) + 2d12 (socket) + 2d6 (overwhelming), almost all of it x3 for crit+increased multiplier. Does DevCrit add d8+8 (base damage), or somewhere up to 130ish?
Last edited by Cornflower on Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Also, thank you for the good work of developing and maintaining this favourite place of mine.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

Cornflower wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:13 am As I like to be clear on the mathematics....
When you say DevCrit is now x2, is that x2 after all other damage has been added, or just the base damage of the weapon, or what?

Example:
Sword d8 + 8 (str) + 5 (EB) + 2d12 (socket) + 2d6 (overwhelming), almost all of it x3 for crit+increased multiplier. Does DevCrit add d8+8 (base damage), or somewhere up to 130ish?
I just did some testing at Umgah.
Say that you land a critical and are supposed to do 100 Physical 10 Acid damage (before DI/DR, but after critical multiplier, sneak attack, massive criticals, power attack, etc).
With devastating critical you will instead do 200 Physical 10 Acid damage (before DI/DR).
This is much better than the old Dev Crit since it's only affected by DI/DR once, and it isn't +0 damage any more which means that it's useful even against non-squishy mobs.

The only downside is that it seems to only work once per flurry. If you land two dev crits in one flurry only one of the attacks will have the physical damage doubled, the other will be a normal crit.

Edit: Actually it only works on the first attack of each flurry regardless of whether it's a crit or not. So if you land a dev crit in a flurry but that flurry is a normal attack then a critical hit, the physical damage for the normal attack gets doubled while the physical damage for the critical attack is the same.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Normal critical attacks and devastating critical attacks each have their own rolls. This is stock behavior.

The normal stock message that it was a dev crit is not seen because the event is stopped and substitute code is ran.

That's why it looks like a normal attack. I think that's what you are seeing.
Edit: Actually it only works on the first attack of each flurry regardless of whether it's a crit or not. So if you land a dev crit in a flurry but that flurry is a normal attack then a critical hit, the physical damage for the normal attack gets doubled while the physical damage for the critical attack is the same.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

driller wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:49 am Normal critical attacks and devastating critical attacks each have their own rolls. This is stock behavior.

The normal stock message that it was a dev crit is not seen because the event is stopped and substitute code is ran.

That's why it looks like a normal attack. I think that's what you are seeing.
It's definitely doubling the first attack only, regardless of crit or not.
Below is a few lines from my logs, luckily my rapier doesn't have much physical damage on it so it's easy to test.
With both power attack and sneak attack, my WM ranges from 37-52 physical damage on a normal hit and 112-166 physical damage on a critical hit.

In the logs my WM does 80 physical (2x 40 from a normal hit) and 152 physical (152 from critical hit).
It's impossible for my WM to do 53-111 physical without dev crit affecting the normal hits too.

Code: Select all

[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:01:18] Umgah : Fortitude Save : *failure* : (8 + 26 = 34 vs. DC: 48)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:01:18] Power Attack : Sneak Attack : Cam Yunim attacks Umgah : *hit* : (6 + 75 = 81)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:01:18] Power Attack : Sneak Attack : Cam Yunim attacks Umgah : *critical hit* : (13 + 70 = 83 : Threat Roll: 5 + 70 = 75)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:01:18] *Devastating Critical*
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:01:18] Cam Yunim damages Umgah: 96 (80 Physical 4 Acid 6 Divine 3 Electrical 3 Sonic)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:01:19] Cam Yunim damages Umgah: 192 (152 Physical 3 Acid 11 Divine 15 Electrical 11 Sonic)
Here's an example of a double dev crit affecting only one of the attacks.
With just power attack, my WM ranges from 35-40 physical damage on a normal hit and 110-154 physical damage on a critical hit.
The first crit does 266 physical (2x 133 from crit), the second does 133 (133 from normal crit).

Code: Select all

[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:02:03] Umgah : Fortitude Save : *failure* : (4 + 26 = 30 vs. DC: 48)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:02:03] Umgah : Fortitude Save : *failure* : (6 + 26 = 32 vs. DC: 48)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:02:03] Power Attack : Cam Yunim attacks Umgah : *critical hit* : (15 + 73 = 88 : Threat Roll: 1 + 73 = 74)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:02:03] Power Attack : Cam Yunim attacks Umgah : *critical hit* : (20 + 68 = 88 : Threat Roll: 11 + 68 = 79)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:02:03] *Devastating Critical*
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:02:03] Cam Yunim damages Umgah: 312 (266 Physical 9 Acid 12 Divine 13 Electrical 12 Sonic)
[CHAT WINDOW TEXT] [Sun Aug 18 13:02:03] Cam Yunim damages Umgah: 179 (133 Physical 11 Acid 8 Divine 16 Electrical 11 Sonic)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

You can't go by the normal message in the combat dialogue, they don't tell the whole story.

The normal messages about dev crit you see in the stock game don't show. In BSK if you see *Devasting Crit* and damage is applied, then the engine sent the event.

Not saying you are wrong, but test this again after the reset to make sure with these helper messages.

After the 6pm EST reset, the messages will display differently. They will be structured as thus:

1."Devastating Critical Event Attempt" > this means the engine fired a Devastating Critical event and a Fort save for the mob will be rolled.
The stock Devastating Critical will be negated at this point. If the mob makes the save, then you will see: "Mob made save vs *Devastating Critical Hit", else you will see "Devastating Critical Hit".

2.If the Mob fails the save, then you will see "Devastating Critical Event Applied". At this point the damage will be intercepted and changed to do x2 base damage.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Side note: It's a very elegant solution.

Also, regardless of any wrinkles, this is better than before in my opinion.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)