DM's don't do Events Anymore

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

DM Nexus
Viceroy
Viceroy

DM's don't do Events Anymore

Post by DM Nexus »

I keep hearing people say this. The truth is we do, but we are not going to just make a shout and see everyone run.

I set stuff up a lot so I can just watch to see what happens. So far the results are always the same, nobody talks to each other, nobody rp's, everyone is just too busy leveling.

Yes, my events have a purpose, so if you do not ask why and seek out answers, then you will miss it. Most are not long ongoing events, but they still have a purpose. I do not do the "drop creatures in the keep hack-n-slash" events. I will do things out of the ordinary and see if anything comes of it (you know snow in the keep...a few White Dragons...), just things to make you think, "Why is this happening?" And the event that follows (or lack there of) is a result of where you as players take it.

I can not and will not force anyone to RP, nor will I force an event on you. I will set up a scenario, and the rest is up to the PLAYERS.
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

I sat and watched as a few on the road RPed a little bit of an event but sadly no more interaction was forth coming....

Cmon guys a lot of you scream out for such things..

then keep em peeled for little clues etc...why does it snow in the hamlet????

Why is that creature here ive not seen this before

Is it hostile????(only finding out after its bitten your sword hand off)

Little clues like this might lead to bigger things 8)
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
FOXY LADY790
Count
Count

Post by FOXY LADY790 »

Hey i dont say ya dont do them ...i love them when i'm still up and awake when they are going on that is lol.. :D.....and i also RP when there are happening also :)

All i can say is give them hell if they dont like what ya trying to do :P

*crosses fingers and hope's i dont get it when he see's me next*
I may be small but im fast cunning and very very devious
DM Nexus
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Nexus »

I guess I could add some helpful advice here for everyone about my events...

I do not start events with a server shout.

Most of my events are level independent, which means there is something in it for everyone if they look for it. If there are creatures too powerful for you to handle, then maybe you need to seek assistance or need to figure out a different approach. (the opposite is also true...if they are too easy then stop and think, because you may have just missed something).

Party chat is OOC (Out of Character for those who are new to this), my events are not. I do not want to see you converse in party chat saying, "Hey get over here, something is going on." This means your character may actually need to go to the keep or another area to speak to people. **Edit** Myle's response below for the use of party chat is not what I refer to in my statement here (I'm sure most of you know what I mean, but thought I would clarify it for the few players out there that might get confused). I am speaking about using it for meta-gamming purposes.

And remember some things are not as they seem, but some are. To figure out what is what, you may need to "put your thinking cap on" and investigate. The "how you resolve it" part is yours to figure out.
Last edited by DM Nexus on Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

I have attempted several in the past. Only the ones which involve a server shout ever get a response and then, only about 2/3rd's of the time.... Though I generally have steered events towards lowbies.

I have tried several times to start up a "Find the cure" event, but people just stand around waiting to people to explode so they can kill the slaad. Or they do a DM's favorite thing, multiple characters run off to multiple NPC's askingfor help.

The "Find my mommy!" quests have been blanketly ignored.

The "Find the Drunken Dwarf" mini-events seem to draw the most interest, but I am not going to hold those endlessly.

Just a hint, DM's can only interact in one zone at a time. WHile we can view a dropdown listing of PC's in areas we are not in, we can not monitor and respond to multiple RP tangits in different areas at the same time.

The players need to keep the group of characters basically together. If there is a need to slipt up, the break off group should use Party chat or direct DM channel chat to keep the remote DM awareof thier actions and the details of the conversation.

Lastly, players need to be patient. We, as DM's know it can be annoying to ask a question and wait five minutes for a respondse. Especially after we, as DM's, mention how important time may be to success, BUT... DM's often are in dialogue with many individuals and even the best DM is limited by mortal abilities.

The availablitiy of DM events is there, though sometimes, players may need to stop the HnS and focus on RP.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Zacarias
Duke
Duke
Location: Chesapeake, VA - West of Virginia Beach and South of Norfolk Naval Base.

Post by Zacarias »

I am dissapointed at the outcome of these events but I applaud your efforts, and I only hope that I'll be present during the next one. Then maybe I won't feel like I'm a hypocrit.
We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
We ran to the sound of the thunder.
We danced among the lightning bolts,
and tore the world asunder.
evilann
Baron
Baron

Post by evilann »

Truth is, the dms job isnt just making events. there are other stuff, and AT THIS MOMENT i believe the dms are busy doing the other stuff.

This is a rp server. us pcs should make our own events, its up to the dms to decide if they want to join in and make it more interesting for us, So if you want to see a dm roleplay. i say make a roleplay yourself and make a good one, then when a dm sees whats goin on. He or she will make it more interesting.

one thing i can say about the dms is, The dms that are accessable right now, meaning not busy in real life sorta wait for roleplay.

Yes it is true, the dms on bsk are best . Trust me i would know.
they are trying to make things work, i believe, driller got faith in them.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

Well, I won't lie. I've been up to several occassions been 'running my mouth' about how DMs need to run more events. But that was before I realized this:

I only did that when I had nothing to do myself - i.e. being too bored or not finding anyone whom would RP rather than just jogging off to who knows where to level.

It is all what you make of it. And when I, myself, have been involved in some heavy RP merely with good friends of mine, I've never once thought to myself "Where is that damn DM event when you need one?" - And why that is, one might ask? Because we created the RP and thereby I (everyone as well) was satisfied with it.

So once more, it all comes down to this: It is what you make of it.

Atleast in my oppinion.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Oh boy, Driller used one of the new emoticons! :rolleyes:
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

It is all what you make of it. And when I, myself, have been involved in some heavy RP merely with good friends of mine, I've never once thought to myself "Where is that damn DM event when you need one?" - And why that is, one might ask? Because we created the RP and thereby I (everyone as well) was satisfied with it.
I have to agree with Nizzle. I think EXPECTING DMs to facilitate RP is pretty silly. If an event comes up, then it should be welcomed as a nice change of pace, but I wonder how many people want DM events so that they can get a "prize"? In a way that's ultimate metagaming.

It'd be like in RL always looking around for God to hand out miracles, and getting all pissy because one isn't handed out.

BSK is unique in that it is a PW which has a defined quest and numerous side quests that offer a plethora of RP opportunities. Whining about a DM not being available is just a bit childish IMHO.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

driller wrote:Yes, I couldn't resist and had to indulge.

-driller
ValentianNizzle wrote:Oh boy, Driller used one of the new emoticons! :rolleyes:
You old trickster you, I knew you had it in you.
GrayBeryl
Commoner
Commoner

Post by GrayBeryl »

I am new here and have generally enjoyed the world that Driller and others have created. In paticular, I greatly appreciate their hard, behind-the-scenes efforts that only someone that has hosted a server would understand. That having been said, I believe that you have to work to encourage good roleplay. Many of the current generation don't base their experience on PnP roleplaying but rather on console gaming. I was a briefly a DM on another Neverwinter server and was in charge of creating experiences that taught and rewarded roleplay. If you could accept the suggestion, work to create the kind of players you want to enrich for here.

A brief but relavant example: I was on the road two days ago when the strange events began. I questioned, IC, the other characters in the story and before we could conitinue the conversation, another event occured. In the end I found myself alone on the road without a clue how to proceed in understanding what was going on. Maybe someone else was left the breadcrumbs that led to epiphany, but I wasn't. The other thing that I noted is that the event attracted several high level players that took control not in RP but in shear strength of their high level character.

Sometimes the breadcrumbs that are left, though they can appear prescribed, provide feedback to the roleplayer that they are on the right track. You will never hear criticism from me about DM involvement as I know how hard it is to please anyone and everyone. Maybe the criticism you hear is from those that only need a little nudge in order to be wrapped up in the story of the event and not the event itself.

In the meantime, I am sticking around. I have enjoyed many of the people here and I think the world itself is top notch.

Andy
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Thank you Ann for your kind words.

-driller
evilann wrote:Truth is, the dms job isnt just making events. there are other stuff, and AT THIS MOMENT i believe the dms are busy doing the other stuff.

This is a rp server. us pcs should make our own events, its up to the dms to decide if they want to join in and make it more interesting for us, So if you want to see a dm roleplay. i say make a roleplay yourself and make a good one, then when a dm sees whats goin on. He or she will make it more interesting.

one thing i can say about the dms is, The dms that are accessable right now, meaning not busy in real life sorta wait for roleplay.

Yes it is true, the dms on bsk are best . Trust me i would know.
they are trying to make things work, i believe, driller got faith in them.
evilann
Baron
Baron

Post by evilann »

interesting, i think i was just banned
DM Rendyll
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Rendyll »

Well...heaven forbid. Whatever could have brought that on??

-skips off into the sunset, whistling-
Play by the spirit of the rules, not by the letter of the law.