Druid confusion

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Druid confusion

Post by Cornflower »

Ok, I have never, ever played a druid. Not once in the 38 years I've been playing DnD and NWN. First try.... Now, a few questions:

I know that driller buffed the summons a bit, but what about Wild Shape? Will i be smushed instantly as all the other animal companions? Also, where can I find that info?

I seem to remember someone claryfing what items followed over when you shift, but I can't seem to find that info either. Does anyone have a list on what gear will be useful when shifted?

I know there's a dragon shape available for druids and the coolness factor would be awesome, but will it actually work on BSK? Will the dragon's wide body work? Is it overrated and the Blood Cult (among others) will smack it down instantly?

Anything else I should have thought about before I started my new druid toon?
(except that I picked the same name, with a minor variation, as Sway?)
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Re: Druid confusion

Post by Yunim »

Cornflower wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:41 pm I know that driller buffed the summons a bit, but what about Wild Shape? Will i be smushed instantly as all the other animal companions? Also, where can I find that info?

I seem to remember someone claryfing what items followed over when you shift, but I can't seem to find that info either. Does anyone have a list on what gear will be useful when shifted?
The actual shapes are unchanged, the only thing that is different from vanilla NWN is the gear merging. All gear merges on wildshape forms, even gloves which don't work on any shapes in vanilla NWN. This also includes +20 AB weapons, so it is possible to make shifters that can actually hit things which is a nice change from most servers.

Edit: I just did some testing. Although stats stack normally (up to the +12 cap), only the highest of AC and saves are applied when you shift just like vanilla NWN. I didn't test skill bonuses, so I'm not sure if that stacks to the +50 cap or if only the highest bonus counts when shifted.
For example, if you have a +6 AC shield and a +6 AC helmet equipped, you will only get 6 deflection AC when shifted rather than 12 total AC. Similarly, if you have a +3 universal saves amulet and a +2 universal saves ring, you will only get +3 universal saves when shifted.
Cornflower wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:41 pm I know there's a dragon shape available for druids and the coolness factor would be awesome, but will it actually work on BSK? Will the dragon's wide body work? Is it overrated and the Blood Cult (among others) will smack it down instantly?
Dragon Shape is one of the most powerful feats available on BSK. It has downsides like all shifters do, but a dedicated dragon build beats almost every other melee build in terms of raw AB/AC. I would suggest picking up Dragon Shape even if you plan on being a caster Druid.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Someone else said Armor, Shield and Helm will transfer. But on BSK everythingn else works? But only the best bonus per category?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

Cornflower wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:59 am Someone else said Armor, Shield and Helm will transfer. But on BSK everythingn else works? But only the best bonus per category?
That's right. In vanilla NWN only those items merge, but on BSK everything merges. Stats will stack as normal, but only the best bonus matters for the other categories.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Yunim wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:28 am
Cornflower wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:59 am Someone else said Armor, Shield and Helm will transfer. But on BSK everythingn else works? But only the best bonus per category?
That's right. In vanilla NWN only those items merge, but on BSK everything merges. Stats will stack as normal, but only the best bonus matters for the other categories.
That's still good. Better than vanilla. (But then, most things are better than vanilla...)
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Furious_ddd
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Furious_ddd »

Vanilla is okay, but personally im a fan of moose tracks.

*shifty eyes*
Hafur Merhein - dwarven cleric