About Devastating Critical on BSK

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

About Devastating Critical on BSK

Post by Cornflower »

As I understand it, DevCrit on BSK gives you 35% extra damage. Now, I've always assumed that that meant on a 200 crit, you hit with 265 points damage. But, when I check the log, it seems to be 200 crit and then separately 65 damage. Now, that's a big difference since most monsters have large Damage Resistances.

For instance, assume DR 25. If you roll 200 crit and DevCrit, it would mean either 200+65+25= 240 net damage, or 200-25+65-25= 205 net damage. The larger the crit, the bigger the difference. (Also, it's not as cool when you see 200 and 65 flash by, instead of 265... )

Someone said that "bonus damage bypass DR", but does it on BSK? Does anyone know exactly how DevCrit works on BSK?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Re: About Devastating Critical on BSK

Post by Yunim »

Devastating Critical does do 35% extra damage but it is separate from the normal damage roll. The extra damage is +0 physical damage (I think the damage type matches the base damage type of the weapon but haven't experimented enough to be certain), so after Damage Immunity, Damage Resistance, and Damage Reduction it can end up doing 0 damage against tougher enemies. Despite these drawbacks it is still a very useful feat. It's great for squishy enemies like Umgahs and it can help with boss runs too.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Change the damage type?
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Kane0 wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:27 pm Change the damage type?
If you make that magical or divine it will get through most DR. That would be nice. Also it would be in line with drillers idea of "nerf items, promote classes/feats".
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Kalaron
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Kalaron »

a physical damage dealing class should not have the option to also have another type of damage on it's core. Sound more like powerhungry.

Also, as mentiones, it is useful on some types of mobs and not much in others. If is not broken, why does need a fix or change? shoud stay as it is imo.

and you forgot to show the math is someone doesnt have the feat: crit 200 - 25 DR = 175. So the feat still increase the damage in 30 points (205 as your example).

cya.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Kalaron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am a physical damage dealing class should not have the option to also have another type of damage on it's core. Sound more like powerhungry.
Why? Don't you use socket gems or forge stones? Never used Smite Good or Evil? Multiclassed for some buff spells?
Kalaron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am Also, as mentiones, it is useful on some types of mobs and not much in others. If is not broken, why does need a fix or change? shoud stay as it is imo.
OK this is a pet peeve of mine. Providing an opinion is not the same as providing an argument, give some reasoning.
Saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' doesn't help the discussion as others have already raised that they think it could use some work.
Kalaron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am and you forgot to show the math is someone doesnt have the feat: crit 200 - 25 DR = 175. So the feat still increase the damage in 30 points (205 as your example).
Assuming a hit for 200 damage and dev crit bonus of 35%, DR 25 means you deal 175 without the feat or 220 with the feat. Corn isn't saying there is no bonus damage, he's saying it's not the advertised 35% because damage resistance, reduction and immunity are applying twice to one hit.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Kalaron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am a physical damage dealing class should not have the option to also have another type of damage on it's core. Sound more like powerhungry.
Err. No. I was just asking for clarification. Also, the idea of useing magical damage was only to make it work without double DR, in case it was so intended.
Kalaron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am Also, as mentiones, it is useful on some types of mobs and not much in others. If is not broken, why does need a fix or change? shoud stay as it is imo.
Again, only asking for clarification, not saying it was broken. Either way, you're entitled to your opinion.
Kalaron wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:01 am and you forgot to show the math is someone doesnt have the feat: crit 200 - 25 DR = 175. So the feat still increase the damage in 30 points (205 as your example).
No, I didn't forget to show the math. Again, I was only asking for clarification and indirectly if it was intended to work that way. I'm aware that it will increase the damage, but I wanted to know a) exactly how it works and b) if it works as intended. Obviously I was less than clear.

Also, please don't call me powerhungry. I don't call you names.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Kane0 wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 pm Assuming a hit for 200 damage and dev crit bonus of 35%, DR 25 means you deal 175 without the feat or 220 with the feat. Corn isn't saying there is no bonus damage, he's saying it's not the advertised 35% because damage resistance, reduction and immunity are applying twice to one hit.
Thank you for the excellent clarification.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It is working as intended.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:12 pm It is working as intended.
That's good to know. Thank you.
Since the question of +35% could be interpreted in two ways, it was nice of you to clarify. For those who consider adding (the fairly expensive feat) DevCrit to their build, that's really good to know.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)