Shifter Item Merging

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Shifter Item Merging

Post by Yunim »

It will be a while before I make my own shifter here, but I am interested in how item merging has been changed.
I have already read through this thread and I'm aware that item properties are saved at rest rather than when shifting, but I'm not sure how this works with the item merging.

I have a few questions for anybody with a shifter:

Has item merging been changed so that everything stacks as it would for a non-shifter or do items merge just as they do in vanilla NWN?
Specifically, does the items merging on Dragon Shape still only count Armor, Helmet, and Shield slots?

Do AC bonuses merge as normal (all count as Deflection AC) or do they stack (eg. +5 Armor AC and +5 Natural AC stack to give +10 combined AC rather than +5 Deflection AC)?

Has item merging been changed to include the gloves slot or are they still ignored?
Specifically, do +20AB gloves work in Dragon Shape?

Has True Seeing been removed from the Wyrmling, Rakshasa, and Dragon forms?
Marndt
Commoner
Commoner

Re: Shifter Item Merging

Post by Marndt »

I've been playing a shifter for a week or so on the server and I can definitely say it does not work like vanilla. Due to the resting being limited in frequency I haven't had the patience to do much testing of what merges and what doesn't I don't know all of the rules but overall I think it is a nerf to shifter power. From what I can tell bonuses to attributes do not merge and armor bonuses do not merge predictably (the armor may be how vanilla works but I like I said I haven't done much testing) I do think this would be considered a high magic server with the endgame gear focusing on an intentionally hidden crafting system I don't think it is a good server for a Shifter. I am probably just going to make a new character soon because of that.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

There used to be severe issues with shifters in multiplayer, which was why it was changed. If beamdog has fixed this, I will go back to vanilla.

I added a possible work around, please let me know if it works.
Marndt
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Marndt »

I'm not sure what you were trying to change but you definitely fixed the ability bonuses not applying. Thank you very much for your hard work on this server!
Omegon
Baron
Baron

Post by Omegon »

With the question of item merging via gloves. Vanilla traditionally doesn't, will hop on and test glove properties along with other facts and let you know shortly.

Edit: Tried on both Druid animal forms, Wyrmlings, Minotaur, Harpy, Gargoyle. Gloves didn't apply to the form. Will continue testing.
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

Marndt wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:58 pm I do think this would be considered a high magic server with the endgame gear focusing on an intentionally hidden crafting system I don't think it is a good server for a Shifter. I am probably just going to make a new character soon because of that.
That's understandable, even on servers where item merging has been changed so that all equipment works as it would for a non-shifter most of the shapes are mediocre at best.
Considering the high level items that are available and the (apparently) vanilla item merging system, that limits the number of viable shapes even further.
Omegon wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:30 pm Edit: Tried on both Druid animal forms, Wyrmlings, Minotaur, Harpy, Gargoyle. Gloves didn't apply to the form. Will continue testing.
Thanks for testing, this suggests that which item slots merge is the same as vanilla NWN.