A quick Buff item

Post suggestions for improvements here.
connormatt03
Commoner
Commoner

A quick Buff item

Post by connormatt03 »

an item where you cast buffs on it put it in your quickslot and it saves your buffs and then you can just click it to use all your buffs at once
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Re: A quick Buff item

Post by Kane0 »

Isn't that a sequencer?
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Post by Sorcy Sid »

A sequencer robe can do that for you but the robes on this server only hold 1 or 2 spells. I have yet to see a 3 spell robe.

I do know other players that have a rod of buffing. Where they got them I do not know.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Wand of Vigor:
Special Power 1 Use/day
When activated cast 1d6 random spells on user at Caster level 8:
Bulls Strength, Cat's Grace, Endurance, Endure Elements, Flame Weapon, Haste, Keen, Ghostly Visage, Greater Magic Weapon, Mage Armor, Protection from Evil, Stoneskin

Lesser Wand of Vigor: pretty much the same, but 1d4 spell levels worth of random spells at caster level 5
Greater Wand of Vigor: same again but 1d8 at caster level 12

Edit: If randomizing the spells is too much of a pain just make the lesser do three or four 1st level spells, regular do 2nd and greater do 3rd.
Could even vary them by buff type (resists, weapon buffs, stat boosts, etc)
gamma521
Commoner
Commoner

Post by gamma521 »

@ sid
I stumbled across 'Isaacs greater sequencer' the other day. 7ac and 3 spells. just an fyi that it does exist.

on a side note i have seen buffing rods on other servers that will cast all your self targeting spells. so it does seem possible to code etc. best quality of life item ever....
Terrax the Tamer: 6/10/24 risen dr tank
Morg: 12/26/2 dr cleric
Dr. Victoria Von Doom: 38/1/1 caster cleric (in progress)
Gala Ctus: 28/10/2 sd wizard (in progress)
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Post by Sorcy Sid »

Good to know. Thank you.
gamma521 wrote: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:11 am @ sid
I stumbled across 'Isaacs greater sequencer' the other day. 7ac and 3 spells. just an fyi that it does exist.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
xookero
Commoner
Commoner

Post by xookero »

I hope that Driller would not inplement that device.
You want to buff yoursefl? Ok - pick some cleric / druid / wizard / sorcerer or even bard levels and get some spells - then you will get possibility to buff yourself in exchange of ab / bonus feats etc.
You don't want to pick casting class levels? Ok - pick 1 or 2 levels of rogue, bump your UMD skill and use scrolls for buffing yourself.
Making this device will ruin balance between pure melee and caster/melee bulds.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Oh? Whats your reasoning?
Because from what I can tell the buffs I listed are low level only (spell levels 1 to 4, that is to say a level 7 caster) and on top of that can be done by existing means already:

Bulls Strength, Cat's Grace, Endurance and Haste: Potions
Ghostly Visage: Blackstone Vendor
(Greater) Magic Weapon: Blackstone Vendor
Flame Weapon: Findable in-world
Stoneskin: Vendor
Elemental Resists: Vendor
Keen: Special loot drop, and Forge
Mage Armor: Anything +AC, only the +1 Dodge bonus stacks
Protection from Evil: Anything +AC or +Saves, and Vendor

My suggestion is a useful alternative, I don't see how it invalidates the existence of casters. If you want the better buffs like Death Ward, Freedom of Movement, Greater Invis, Energy Buffer, Negative Energy Protection, Shadow Shield, Spell Resistance, Regenerate, Spell Mantle and Mind Blank you will still need a caster to provide them. But some of those can even be covered by gear already!
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

I happened across a certain Rod in my travels, not sure if it's a new addition but it's certainly a welcome find!
connormatt03
Commoner
Commoner

Post by connormatt03 »

where would i find this "Wand of Vigor" it sounds very helpfull
kish-kumen
Commoner
Commoner

Post by kish-kumen »

xookero wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 3:05 am I hope that Driller would not inplement that device.
You want to buff yoursefl? Ok - pick some cleric / druid / wizard / sorcerer or even bard levels and get some spells - then you will get possibility to buff yourself in exchange of ab / bonus feats etc.
You don't want to pick casting class levels? Ok - pick 1 or 2 levels of rogue, bump your UMD skill and use scrolls for buffing yourself.
Making this device will ruin balance between pure melee and caster/melee bulds.
I don't think that was the intent. What they were suggesting was an item that casts your existing buffing spells all at once, rather than clicking them individually. So instead of needing to individually cast mage armour, bulls strength, cat's grace, negative energy protection and ghostly visage, you memorize those spells ave record them in the sequencer. Then when "use" the item it casts them all at once - but it still "uses" the memorized spell from your spell book. It doesn't grant free spells, it just saves time.

I would love this feature. I've seen this done where the sequencer/buffing item can only be used out of combat, and I've also seen it implemented with versions that can be activated while in combat (sometimes as an "upgraded" version of the buff item).

Perks/pros are that us poor spellcasters can be combat ready without everyone having to wait for our self targeted spells - we can spend our time buffing our compatriots instead.

Downsides/cons, I don't know if it would increase load on the server, and there is the aspect of forcing casters to individually cast each self-targeted spell which might be something DRILLER wants, I don't know.

From a roleplay perspective, I don't think it matters either way.

Just my thoughts.