Builiding a dex-based char. Not gonna work?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Builiding a dex-based char. Not gonna work?

Post by Cornflower »

Hi!

I'm a restless person, so I need several different characters to have fun playing. I get bored running around with a big shield, big armor and big sword killing everything. On the other hand, I tried a sorcerer and got killed faster than I could respawn.... Either I'm doing something wrong, or this PW is not nice to magic-users....

So, another idea. I am trying out a dex-based Ranger/Rogue kind of build. I don't want to get into real powergaming and heavy theory-building, but more a few simple questions:

a) Should I even bother? I have a feeling that without being able to use heavy gear, it will be almost impossible to level up a dex-based char.
b) If it is feasible, does anyone have any good advice?
c) Is there another way to get "natural armor +x" without using an amulet?
d) There are ways to add various "+1d6 xxx damage" to swords, but I have no clue how to find/make an similarly overpowered bow. All I can find/make are "+5 attack bonus" and "+1d6 xxx damage" arrows. What am I missing? Any tips/hints?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Re: Builiding a dex-based char. Not gonna work?

Post by Sorcy Sid »

I tried a sorcerer and got killed faster than I could respawn.... Either I'm doing something wrong, or this PW is not nice to magic-users...

When I play a sorcerer, which is all I play, I usually end up watching everyone else die! :P But then I don't play as the attacker that much. Unless it's needed. If I do play on the offense, it's like an archer and from a distance. That's when I typically die.

So my style is to stay back and buff the fighters, or my summoned tanks I often solo with, with things like haste, SS, flame weapon, magic weapon, and improved invisibility. I'm also buffing the party and protecting other players when I can.

My low level solo strategy is buffing a familiar and summons as my tanks. Then adding an attack dog when I can afford it. Also using a crossbow, wands, and magic, from a distance.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Sorcy Sid wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:37 am
I tried a sorcerer and got killed faster than I could respawn.... Either I'm doing something wrong, or this PW is not nice to magic-users...

When I play a sorcerer, which is all I play, I usually end up watching everyone else die! :P But then I don't play as the attacker that much. Unless it's needed. If I do play on the offense, it's like an archer and from a distance. That's when I typically die.

So my style is to stay back and buff the fighters, or my summoned tanks I often solo with, with things like haste, SS, flame weapon, magic weapon, and improved invisibility. I'm also buffing the party and protecting other players when I can.

My low level solo strategy is buffing a familiar and summons as my tanks. Then adding an attack dog when I can afford it. Also using a crossbow, wands, and magic, from a distance.
Hmm... Haven't tried an attack dog. Also, not big on wands. I'll go try it at once. Maybe that's what makes the difference?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Rodran has hirelings available after you finish the Remy quest.

-driller
Cornflower wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Hmm... Haven't tried an attack dog. Also, not big on wands. I'll go try it at once. Maybe that's what makes the difference?
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:13 pm Rodran has hirelings available after you finish the Remy quest.

-driller
Huh? Who is Rodran, where do I find him?
Same question for Remy? What, where?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Trudes
Count
Count

Post by Trudes »

A dex based Rogue/shadow dancer with good hide/invisibility/move silently etc etc with massive sneak attack with dual rapiers (there are lots of Rogue gear in game) . Harder for first few lvl's if not in party and easier against baddies without true seeing. just get in the habbit of being invisible.... whack the monster..... RUN.... hide again. you can do a lot of damage this way especially if you can get sneak attacks. plus you can take points in UMD and use scrolls, wands etc.

Regarding Sorcerer at low lvl's... make good use of summon'd creatures and buff them up, then you can stand back with a cross bow and let them do the work. Sorcerer gets better and better as you gain lvl's 8)
Humiz
Count
Count

Post by Humiz »

What kind of character do you want to build ?
Arcer, Caster, Close combat ?
PvP or Monster Hunter ?
Or a combination ?

Thanks
Humiz
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Humiz wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:22 pm What kind of character do you want to build ?
Arcer, Caster, Close combat ?
PvP or Monster Hunter ?
Or a combination ?

Thanks
Humiz
Elven archer, perhaps ranger/rogue combo.
Want to be able to survive melee combat, but be awesome with a bow.
I'm allergic to PvP, so only monster hunter and RP.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Rodran is in the Guard House, first building on the left past the Dock Master.

-driller
Cornflower wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:24 pm
driller wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:13 pm Rodran has hirelings available after you finish the Remy quest.

-driller
Huh? Who is Rodran, where do I find him?
Same question for Remy? What, where?
Humiz
Count
Count

Post by Humiz »

If you want to do a lot of damage as archer I think a Arcane Archer - Paladin combo with Divine Might works well, even in melee.
A Monk - Arcane Archer with or without Zen Archery is also a good choise.
If you want to make a Dex build I think the Monk option is best, Paladin build need much Charisma to work nicely.

Thanks
Humiz
Sorcy Sid
Count
Count

Post by Sorcy Sid »

Cornflower wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:06 pm

The attack dog is great. Buff it and watch for a nice surprise after it re-spawns. Also, the Foxmore summons wand is a must have item.
Sid-Archer
Sid'darth
Sid 10
Sid, Sid, and more Sid.
Acct names Sid & SidII
Graves
Baron
Baron

Post by Graves »

My first character here, and also my main character, is a dex build. It's awesome if you build it right.

If you want to be mainly melee but still good with a bow, don't worry about taking archery feats -- just max out your dex and get the melee feats you want (mainly weapon finesse and the necessary weapon focus/imp crit/weapon spec feats). The high dex will naturally translate into high AB with a bow, and if you find one with the Mighty property (there are a few available, and can be crafted as well) you can get your strength bonus added to the damage.

Dexxers are absolutely viable here from 1 to 40. Mine is built for PvP but is still able to farm all the endgame content very well. The only thing he has trouble with is blood cultists, which are arguably not worth farming to begin with.

PM me if you need help with a melee dexxer build.
Gimili
Count
Count

Post by Gimili »

I also have a DEX build, its strong and I find it to be quite op as well. But as Graves said Blood cultist's are quite a challenge.. but if you have a couple friends or a mage with you.. you'll be more than okay there.
Gimili Lockbearer -Trusted Dwarf, friend of the elves.
Balrog- Right Hand Associate of Warlock the Evil
Morgoth- Kazrite General V.P. Of the Kazrites
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Graves wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:23 am My first character here, and also my main character, is a dex build. It's awesome if you build it right.

If you want to be mainly melee but still good with a bow, don't worry about taking archery feats -- just max out your dex and get the melee feats you want (mainly weapon finesse and the necessary weapon focus/imp crit/weapon spec feats). The high dex will naturally translate into high AB with a bow, and if you find one with the Mighty property (there are a few available, and can be crafted as well) you can get your strength bonus added to the damage.

Dexxers are absolutely viable here from 1 to 40. Mine is built for PvP but is still able to farm all the endgame content very well. The only thing he has trouble with is blood cultists, which are arguably not worth farming to begin with.

PM me if you need help with a melee dexxer build.
I just might do that. I'll try for a while longer.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)