BSK1 Direction - or What is the New BSK1 to be?

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

BSK1 Direction - or What is the New BSK1 to be?

Post by Capt Cliff »

Can we, the players, get a hint at what direction BSK1 is heading? With all the choice drops, last robe and dragon slipper and even top forge stones, no longer dropping or completely removed from the drop list just where are is BSK1 heading? With new areas and new quests being added there must be a "method to your madness". Can we get a hint or a story line?
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: BSK1 Direction - or What is the New BSK1 to be?

Post by driller »

What are you asking for?

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote:Can we, the players, get a hint at what direction BSK1 is heading? With all the choice drops, last robe and dragon slipper and even top forge stones, no longer dropping or completely removed from the drop list just where are is BSK1 heading? With new areas and new quests being added there must be a "method to your madness". Can we get a hint or a story line?
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller wrote:What are you asking for?

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote:Can we, the players, get a hint at what direction BSK1 is heading? With all the choice drops, last robe and dragon slipper and even top forge stones, no longer dropping or completely removed from the drop list just where are is BSK1 heading? With new areas and new quests being added there must be a "method to your madness". Can we get a hint or a story line?
Curious as to what the over all plan is ... that's all.
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

I think Cap is basically asking whether you intend to keep BSK for a prolonged period of time or maybe are just using it as a test server for items/quests/areas etc. It's true that the primary forgies seem to drop a lot less now, and though many arcnae items (+9 eb/ab etc) have dropped, the overall rate has gone down. Is this part of the hardcore plan? The problem is...people came back to the server, struggled with the new settings, and left. We now have a player base of around 7...which is dissaapointing for a server so good and detailed.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Dan8145 wrote:I think Cap is basically asking whether you intend to keep BSK for a prolonged period of time or maybe are just using it as a test server for items/quests/areas etc. It's true that the primary forgies seem to drop a lot less now, and though many arcnae items (+9 eb/ab etc) have dropped, the overall rate has gone down. Is this part of the hardcore plan? The problem is...people came back to the server, struggled with the new settings, and left. We now have a player base of around 7...which is dissaapointing for a server so good and detailed.
*points up and shakes head up and down*

Remember people are naturally lazy ... if things get too hard they move on. The orginal BSK was hard but there was a tortured path to follow, usually ending in Umgahvile where you could hunt for forge stone to forge up your gear which enabled you to hunt the even harder areas liek the Blood Cult. I just can't see the path.
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

The path is still there, is just a more dangerous one. Thig is...BSK is just as doable as it was before. You can still hunt the same areas at the same lvls as the non-hc version. Builds have to be tweaked and healing is more often is all. Items are harder to get, and drops rarer, but we adapt and conquer..or at least I do ^^

It would be nice to see an increase in drops...and really nice to actually see a dm (haven't seen one for weeks).
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Dan8145 wrote:The path is still there, is just a more dangerous one. Thig is...BSK is just as doable as it was before. You can still hunt the same areas at the same lvls as the non-hc version. Builds have to be tweaked and healing is more often is all. Items are harder to get, and drops rarer, but we adapt and conquer..or at least I do ^^

It would be nice to see an increase in drops...and really nice to actually see a dm (haven't seen one for weeks).
Drop increase yes and to include arcane armor too, like with +6 AC bonus and 25% physical damage immunity things ... negates the necessity of having that specical forgie. Just a thought. An yes BSK is do able but for what reward or the carrot? No one can survive in the Blood Cult for more than 15 seconds and for Shally ... from what Dan has said it's pretty ugly down there.

So Big Kahuna ... any pearls of wisdom to cast before us swine ... actually only Dan qualifies for swine. :lol:
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I will start keeping statistics to get a handle on what is dropping.

-driller
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

driller wrote:I will start keeping statistics to get a handle on what is dropping.

-driller
Got any numbers yet? Not many people been playing so it might be hard. I did take a run through Umgahville with my lvl 40 DD and got a llot of low level stuff, meaning masterwork gear. I tried the Sleeks too but got my butt kicked losing 450 hit point after fighting just 2. I only got gold in the sleeks, but only 2 not a fair test.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I have added few more +5/+6 items to the drops.

-driller
Capt Cliff wrote:
driller wrote:I will start keeping statistics to get a handle on what is dropping.

-driller
Got any numbers yet? Not many people been playing so it might be hard. I did take a run through Umgahville with my lvl 40 DD and got a llot of low level stuff, meaning masterwork gear. I tried the Sleeks too but got my butt kicked losing 450 hit point after fighting just 2. I only got gold in the sleeks, but only 2 not a fair test.
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

I've been on hiatus for awhile , mostly because my new comp won't run NWN1 but I got my standby hooked up and dropped in BSK for a bit . Alot of interesting things are happening for such an old game . I love the HC , period . And the damage immunity cap I've been asking for it for years . BSK though has a very low player count and I don't think it's anything Driller or anyone else did..It's just an older game only us die hards play for the most part . I'd rather play a good server like this one than a shitty one with 60/60 . I will put my two cents in for what it's worth , the drop rate sucks . That combined with the HC setting is making it real difficult for some of the older players from returning actually doing so . I've talked with a few who just got discouraged with it and left . I played for several hours yesterday and found nothing really , the gong drop that did happen was a sickle +1 w/ 1d6 sonic . I did umgah , aboleth , Azul , BloodCult and nothing but heal kits and coin .I like BSK and will continue playing but It was w/o a doubt funner when players were standing by the runegate haggling and trading forge stones and powerful drops . BSK is alot harder and that's great but with greater risk should come greater rewards .
"Jesus Saves.....and takes half damage."
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The drop rate seems to be upside down at the moment. I say seems as I have not fought any high level creatures.
But the undead on the road are dropping +4 and +5 items fairly regularly.

-driller
tropiofCancer wrote:I've been on hiatus for awhile , mostly because my new comp won't run NWN1 but I got my standby hooked up and dropped in BSK for a bit . Alot of interesting things are happening for such an old game . I love the HC , period . And the damage immunity cap I've been asking for it for years . BSK though has a very low player count and I don't think it's anything Driller or anyone else did..It's just an older game only us die hards play for the most part . I'd rather play a good server like this one than a shitty one with 60/60 . I will put my two cents in for what it's worth , the drop rate sucks . That combined with the HC setting is making it real difficult for some of the older players from returning actually doing so . I've talked with a few who just got discouraged with it and left . I played for several hours yesterday and found nothing really , the gong drop that did happen was a sickle +1 w/ 1d6 sonic . I did umgah , aboleth , Azul , BloodCult and nothing but heal kits and coin .I like BSK and will continue playing but It was w/o a doubt funner when players were standing by the runegate haggling and trading forge stones and powerful drops . BSK is alot harder and that's great but with greater risk should come greater rewards .
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

tropiofCancer wrote:I've been on hiatus for awhile , mostly because my new comp won't run NWN1 but I got my standby hooked up and dropped in BSK for a bit ..
Tropic, I just got a new PC too with WIN 7 and I followed the instructions posted on the Bioware website.. like forcing it to run under WIN XP as admin, ... and it works great! Anyway ... FYI
Phewson
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Phewson »

I hunt blood cult guards, and their drops seem to be quite terrible compared to the lower level stuff (orcs, trolls,ants etc)
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

After a few days of playing I wanted to give a little more feedback on the direction BSK is heading from what I've seen . the server to me seems better than it ever was , albeit the drop rate needs work which I have heard from the horses mouth is being corrected . I had a friend of mine ask in party chat the other day if Driller and the staff even care about the server anymore..well . I doubt all the new quests , the 1400 new items , the scripting and the rest was done by someone who doesn't care about the server , he could pull the plug whenever he wanted . another complaint I've heard but don't understand is 'there's no RP in BSK anymore'..who's fault is that ? As good a scripter as Driller is I doubt he could script something that forces players to RP , to be honest BSK has always had people that run through the keep or ask 'Whut lvl R U ?" on the talk channel . The server has always welcomed all RP styles , the 9 year old kid who wants to run around hacking up monsters has just as much right to play here as the adult who wants to immerse himself in a fantasy world . Sometimes I like to RP and sometimes I like to unwind after work drinking beer and looting , It beats the hell out of the RP Gestapo telling me how to spend my game time . If people want to improve the RP in the keep then they need to get together and do it rather than blame it on the server . there are plenty of PW's that cater to HC RP and they do very well but there also needs to be a place where you can clown around with your friends in party chat and RP on the talk channel . Thanatos said it best when he said " RP more often than not is a group of people in suits and dresses standing by the tree talking about what so and so is wearing to so and so's wedding ' It's not the quantity of RP but the quality of the RP.
"Jesus Saves.....and takes half damage."