Leave of Absence..

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.
Cybermagi
Count
Count

Leave of Absence..

Post by Cybermagi »

I'm taking a leave of absence from BSK for a while.
My house has been completely lost in the floods Nashville.
I will return once I get re-settled.
we only lost material things, others lost their lives please keep those folks in your thoughts.

huggles

Donna.
Peace

Lady Panacea Stormwatcher
Elsbeth Stormwatcher
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Leave of Absence..

Post by driller »

The people who died will be in my prayers. I am sorry to hear about your house. Did you have flood insurance?

-driller
Cybermagi wrote:I'm taking a leave of absence from BSK for a while.
My house has been completely lost in the floods Nashville.
I will return once I get re-settled.
we only lost material things, others lost their lives please keep those folks in your thoughts.

huggles

Donna.
Cybermagi
Count
Count

Post by Cybermagi »

Thanks D
yes we had flood insurance. that god I talked hubby into getting it.
other than the house, we are all good. saved the cars and a few things from the house
we're technically not homeless..we have a another house.. just happens to be our vacation home in South Carolina..
makes for one hell of a commute. until the insurance gets going we are staying with friends
just up the road from our house.. i can actually see what it left from here..
But as I said. .it's just "stuff" that can be replaced.
I'm Sooooo looking forward to apartment living (sarcasm)

ttfn

Donna
Peace

Elsbeth Stormwatcher
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Good to hear that.

-driller
Cybermagi wrote:Thanks D
yes we had flood insurance. that god I talked hubby into getting it.
other than the house, we are all good. saved the cars and a few things from the house
we're technically not homeless..we have a another house.. just happens to be our vacation home in South Carolina..
makes for one hell of a commute. until the insurance gets going we are staying with friends
just up the road from our house.. i can actually see what it left from here..
But as I said. .it's just "stuff" that can be replaced.
I'm Sooooo looking forward to apartment living (sarcasm)

ttfn

Donna
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Glad to hear your ok.

Good thing we live on high ground here... that is not saying much since it's Florida. Still we are not in a flood zone so that means most of Florida has to flood before we do. Still I know what it is like looking out your window and watching the water come closer to you. I lived in Omaha and a few time in Seattle the water crossed the street and tried to get up our hilly lawn. Then again having a sewer back up in your basement on a hot day is bad enough.

Things can be replaced you and your love ones can't.
The world is a strange place.
arwan
Count
Count

Post by arwan »

personally i considered all of Florida a flood zone. the highest point i think is 81 feet across the entire state.. most of the state is only 5 feet or so above sea level. if not 2-5 feet below it. AKA everglades.

lived in Orlando FL for over 18 years. almost got flooded out 3 times that i can remember. remember storm surges don't just affect coastal areas.. when your living such a low level above the sea a 20 foot storm surge can make it all the way inland albeit not 20 feet high at that point.

at any rate im sorry for your lose.. and at the same time glad you got out with the most important things. your life and each other.
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

arwan wrote:personally i considered all of Florida a flood zone. the highest point i think is 81 feet across the entire state.. most of the state is only 5 feet or so above sea level. if not 2-5 feet below it. AKA everglades.

lived in Orlando FL for over 18 years. almost got flooded out 3 times that i can remember. remember storm surges don't just affect coastal areas.. when your living such a low level above the sea a 20 foot storm surge can make it all the way inland albeit not 20 feet high at that point.

at any rate im sorry for your lose.. and at the same time glad you got out with the most important things. your life and each other.
Well since I'm living in Orange Park that makes me on high ground since Orlando is not only south but if I remember more swamps around you. That is the last time I tried to get down there to see the Space Shuttle. Still it can flood just about any where in the US given enough rain and pooling.

Hope you do get something back from the flooding and all is well.
The world is a strange place.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Sorry to hear about your home Cybermagi. you didn't mention how high the flood was in your area, but if it wasn't above the point of bothering, you might want to grab some masks, boots and work gloves and see if things survived on tables, walls, chest of draws, tops of closets.... etc. It is odd sometimes what kind of things actually can be recovered. Also, if you had any firearms in the house, be sure to recover those. Especially, if they were registered. You don't want some looter to stumble of it and have an officer come knocking on your door at some point later on with questions.

Of course, if you have mold or fungus allergies, you will not want to use caution if you enter the house because funk can start growing quick in flood homes.

Also of note: Not sure what your deductable is, but sometimes Insurance companies will wave the deductable if the home owners take care of the drywall demolition themselves as it cuts down on the amount they have to payout to contractors. Just make sure that any repairs is done with good old American drywall and none of the cheap (yet poisonous) chinese drywall that keep cropping up and contractors keep trying to unload on people who don't know better.

Best of luck,
Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Cybermagi
Count
Count

Post by Cybermagi »

Well we got into the house Friday, we got about 8 feet of water, so first story is full of mud and other fun stuff.
had like 20 friends and neighbors help with the dry wall demo this weekend and have a nice pile of out in the yard now.
it's gonna take a lot of work, but we'll get it fixed, Figure'n about 4-6 months to get the house back into shape.
Insurance company has actually been great, no problems so far. I've met so many wonderful people the last week,
total strangers that just started pitching in and lending a hand.
We move into our temporary apartment on Wednesday, so things are looking better than they did a few days ago.

ttfn
Donna
Peace

Elsbeth Stormwatcher
BaskingDemon
Count
Count

Post by BaskingDemon »

Glad you're ok.
The rules are.. THERE AIN'T NO RULES
DM Rendyll
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Rendyll »

Glad to hear you and yours weren't hurt. Best wishes for the recovery proccess. All we have to worry about here is a plethora of forrest fires. *sigh* Tis approaching the season.

Best of luck...
Rendyll aka Stihl'th Zartallous
Play by the spirit of the rules, not by the letter of the law.
Cybermagi
Count
Count

Post by Cybermagi »

Thanks all.
Well the destruction and construction continues. I'm all settled into my temporary quarters, god i hate apartments lol
insurance and fema have actually been rather helpful, I will admit, much rather deal with the insurance company than the stupid government.
anyhow, most of the things I had to do are done, just a matter of getting all the contractors going, it's like herding cats.
so got some free time again.. will start to make an appearance in game. woot. *insert evil laughter here*
Peace

Elsbeth Stormwatcher
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Glad to hear everything is going good for you.

-driller
Cybermagi wrote:Thanks all.
Well the destruction and construction continues. I'm all settled into my temporary quarters, god i hate apartments lol
insurance and fema have actually been rather helpful, I will admit, much rather deal with the insurance company than the stupid government.
anyhow, most of the things I had to do are done, just a matter of getting all the contractors going, it's like herding cats.
so got some free time again.. will start to make an appearance in game. woot. *insert evil laughter here*
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

That's good news. With any luck you will be out of the apartment in time for the world to end in 2012... lmao
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle