Server Resets, Saved Characters

Report any bugs you find here.
shadowx
Commoner
Commoner

Server Resets, Saved Characters

Post by shadowx »

Hi....new to BSK...took me about an hour to guess the anti-spam word and now I'm in. Hurray!

I don't know whether this goes in bug reports or general section...?

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how often the server saves your characters, specifically before a reset.

I ran into this problem today with my low level character; he had just turned in an item for a quest reward about 3 minutes before the reset as I thought why not get it done then log off for the night.

Well as it turns out I come back on about 1 minute after the reset and my character was not saved and it still had the quest item but some inventory script removed it...here's my login data: :(

I turned in that Ogre head before the reset for a reward, but when I came back my character had not been saved so I still had the head in my inventory, but the item check script removed it so now I have the quest completed in my journal and no reward whatsoever....

I'm wondering how long is "safe" to log out before a reset to keep your character safe. Thanks for your time!
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Server Resets, Saved Characters

Post by driller »

Always rest before a reset, it will save your character. I guess I could add in an autosave each time the reset warning displays though. In regards to the Ogre head, the item check script only removes duped items. There is nothing in the log file that says your item was removed by the script. At this point, I am not sure what happened.

-driller
shadowx wrote:Hi....new to BSK...took me about an hour to guess the anti-spam word and now I'm in. Hurray!

I don't know whether this goes in bug reports or general section...?

Anyway, what I'm wondering is how often the server saves your characters, specifically before a reset.

I ran into this problem today with my low level character; he had just turned in an item for a quest reward about 3 minutes before the reset as I thought why not get it done then log off for the night.

Well as it turns out I come back on about 1 minute after the reset and my character was not saved and it still had the quest item but some inventory script removed it...here's my login data: :(

I turned in that Ogre head before the reset for a reward, but when I came back my character had not been saved so I still had the head in my inventory, but the item check script removed it so now I have the quest completed in my journal and no reward whatsoever....

I'm wondering how long is "safe" to log out before a reset to keep your character safe. Thanks for your time!
shadowx
Commoner
Commoner

Re: Server Resets, Saved Characters

Post by shadowx »

driller wrote:Always rest before a reset, it will save your character. I guess I could add in an autosave each time the reset warning displays though. In regards to the Ogre head, the item check script only removes duped items. There is nothing in the log file that says your item was removed by the script. At this point, I am not sure what happened.

-driller
Thanks for your response. I suppose I will rest before each reset now and everything should be fine. No worries about the quest; there's plenty more.

The problem I think stemmed from the fact that I'd completed the quest and the journal entry was saved to the database for my character even though my character itself was not saved. So the item check script removed the ogre head because it thought that I had already completed the quest.