Mages and HC

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Zeshannara
Baron
Baron

Mages and HC

Post by Zeshannara »

I've been back and playing a lot on the servers for the last couple weeks and have gotten quite a few characters to the higher levels. I've come to notice a reoccurring theme that worries me and what direction it will lead the majority of the server's players and the server as a whole.

First off I personally like the changes to the hardcore rules but it seems like it is a two edged sword. Let me start by saying I'm no expert at all the nwn rules and I don't know everything there is to know about NWN. So here is the problem I am seeing, with the hardcore rule set the mages seem to really REALLY be getting the shaft of this deal. I'm referring to majority leveled wiz/sorc or squishes, I haven't played druid so I can't offer my opinion on the matter.

Why? Let me explain:

1st - Mobs getting criticals: I'll be the first to tell you that I do like the mobs having this ability and it makes the gameplay more interesting because you have to always be aware of your health bar. Now while this makes game play interesting it also means those with more HP (non casters) stay alive a lot easier 99% percent of the time. Now having a couple mobs around you, which in unavoidable in some areas and you get 2 or 3 crits in a quick succession and the mage is dead before he can bring his spells to life.

2nd - Secondly and probably most importantly - With the new changes spells can hurt the caster as well as party members. Ok so here is the major problem with this, most of the harder content was designed to be completed in a group, which is where we start to see some of the major issues I am concerned about

Part A:
With the hardcore rules this severely limits the playability of a mage in any group situation and limits the caster to any spells that doesn't have an AOE or a line effect. While there aren't very many spells that fit into this group that can be used to kill mobs it wont take but a couple mobs and you'll be out of spells and be sitting there twittling your thumbs while the tank/fighters do all the work or your resting every 2 hrs in order to help your friends in any way other than being a big red shiny target for the enemies to aim at. Also summons are useless and only last a couple minutes at most and die even faster taking critical hits.

Part B:
The next problem you are going to face when grouping and trying to complete some of the harder content is magical immunity some of the mobs have, which once again renders the mage entirely useless if the mob is immune to magic. If level 9 spells are useless against the mob it leaves only 2 epic spells that may only have a chance of hitting the mob, which could be partially or entirely resisted, negated, ineffective entirely. Any chance we can see a change in this Driller?

3rd and one of the more frustrating (Dispelling): As far as I know there are no checks against dispelling, nothing sucks more on a mage then getting dispelled especially when you have 35+ caster levels. While a tank still has his battle prowess and his might to keep him alive we mages are basically a tree against a logger with no defenses, while we may have a chance to fall onto the logger killing him, its a small chance and we usually end up getting cut down.

Possible Suggestions
Spells no longer hurt mages and party members but criticals are still in effect
Change the rules back to what they were before hardcore rules were set
Lift the magic immunity cap
Checks against dispels
Anything someone else can think of?

I'm not doing this to complain and most importantly I don't want mages to be absolute nukers with no problems killing any mob. I don't want everything handed to me but instead want to work hard and earn it like everyone else with time spent grinding and making our characters better. I play a mage not because it could be overpowered but because it fits my personal play style and is the type of class I enjoy playing the most. I would challenge anyone to try getting a mage to the higher levels and see some of the problems I am referring to. I have the best gear money can buy from all over BSK as well as some nice items I've found along the way, some forged gear would help but I'm definitely not using junk.
Last edited by Zeshannara on Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Allanon Shannara
Bandiogar Shannara
Elranduri Shannara
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Re: The Current Situation

Post by Mask-inc »

Well, personally, i see no problems with all the change that are affecting spellcasters. In fact i love it. That make the game so much more realistic, if you remember right, in PnP, all mass area effect spells hurt everyone, caster and friends included. I just complete my own mage and, yes, it's harder and you need to check your HP continiously, but it's wasn't that hard to get him to 40, did solo from 25 to 40. You just have to change your strategy a bit and cast from farther away. In fact, was in umgahville from 31 to 40 and i didn't even died 10 times, considering that my build isn't a PM and that crit are fatal, that isn't a bad thing.

Just my opinion.

Thanks

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
Zeshannara
Baron
Baron

Post by Zeshannara »

I don't mind the critical hits really, like I said the critical hits definitely make the fights more interesting. Its the dispelling and the magic immunity that sucks.

Hey driller now that BSK is running hardcore rules any chance we can see the magic immunity cap lifted even if the mobs that have it DC's against spells are high as well as getting a check for dispel checks?

Plus you don't count Mask.. :lol: Hmm.... I wonder if I can just summon Halaster to come kill everything for me and save me all the trouble
Last edited by Zeshannara on Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Allanon Shannara
Bandiogar Shannara
Elranduri Shannara
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I am playing a mage and I have not had any problems killing mobs or leveling. Perhaps you need help with your build?

-driller
Zeshannara wrote:I don't mind the critical hits really, like I said the critical hits definitely make the fights more interesting. Its the dispelling and the magic immunity that sucks.

Hey driller now that BSK is running hardcore rules any chance we can see the magic immunity cap lifted even if the mobs that have it DC's against spells are high as well as getting a check for dispel checks?

Plus you don't count Mask.. :lol:
Zeshannara
Baron
Baron

Post by Zeshannara »

Maybe a change of tactics is in order, let me try some new things and see if it makes any difference. Maybe pester some people with some questions....
Allanon Shannara
Bandiogar Shannara
Elranduri Shannara
TropicOfCancer43
Commoner
Commoner

Post by TropicOfCancer43 »

I can see Zeshanna's point on alot of those but in the end I gotta agree with Mask Inc . Mages on BSK still have it extremely good . On most established servers a mage cannot stack Nestils sheath , elemental shield , and death armor BSK is one of the few exceptions . For example , If you are having trouble with crits and sneaks then put the above spells up and shape change into an iorn Golem or something . Believe it or not what is harming the mages here isn't the Hard Core settings , it's that high level monsters wield +20 weapons . All your high level defensive spells including the epic ones are completely negated by it . Stoneskin , premonition , and even Epic Warding are completely useless . (i.e. I don't play mages here ) Something else BSK has going for it is Impr Expertise isn't affected much when casting . On HC you gotta adapt your PvP tactics to PvM , TimeStop and a quick succession of Bigby's..can't reach you they can't hit you . AoE spells though are what they are , in my opinion a caster shouldn't be able to cast wiltings at his party members in combat , that should be your first spell but definitely not your last . The old tired way of playing a caster here is over , sooner or later the old vets will realize this and you will see people rebuilding their sorcerers into wizards when they need versatility instead of the same old 6 spells in their quickslot .
Zeshannara
Baron
Baron

Post by Zeshannara »

Watch out party members here comes hellball.... :twisted: Too late....
Allanon Shannara
Bandiogar Shannara
Elranduri Shannara
TropicOfCancer43
Commoner
Commoner

Re: Mages and HC

Post by TropicOfCancer43 »

Lol , Zee you know every toon here has at least one rog or monk lvl .." Look its a HellBall * points to the sky and rolls a five on his reflex save for evasion*..No problem :wink:
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Re: Mages and HC

Post by Capt Cliff »

It's tactic's .... pure and simple. Like the fool general's who ran World War I ... you do not frontal assault a machine gun but they did. Tactic's!