Crashing out on every kind of Transition

Report any bugs you find here.
Richard Larkinson
Knight
Knight

Crashing out on every kind of Transition

Post by Richard Larkinson »

I have noticed this kind of problem happen before, but for me its gotten to the point where I can no longer play one of my characters. It doesnt matter what type of transition it is, a blue one on the floor, a door, the waypoints and portals.. I crashout and then upon trying to re-load back into the module I cant, even after a reset.

Its happened more often over the past 2 to 3 days and not to me but a few others too. Ive been on a lot over the past few weeks and this specific problem has gotten steadily worse over that period of time.
Richard Larkinson
Knight
Knight

Re: Crashing out on every kind of Transition

Ive done a bit of testing and its effecting just 1 of my 3 characters I have. It loads the first area update, but never reaches the 2nd and crashes out to windows. Its definately character specific, but is odd as I dont have any buffs, auras or any magic vfx active on the character thats crashing out all the time when its trying to load in.

It is annoying as I dont expect to spend a lot of time playing a character, only to have it unplayable due to this kind of thing happen. Quite off putting. I may decide to play elsewhere as this isnt the first time this has happened to players here, and since it hasnt been sorted out and is still happening to people on the off occasion it is making me think why bother having that risk and play somewhere else thats a bit more stable.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Good luck finding a server where transitions crashes don't happen.

Thanks,
-driller
Richard Larkinson wrote:Ive done a bit of testing and its effecting just 1 of my 3 characters I have. It loads the first area update, but never reaches the 2nd and crashes out to windows. Its definately character specific, but is odd as I dont have any buffs, auras or any magic vfx active on the character thats crashing out all the time when its trying to load in.

It is annoying as I dont expect to spend a lot of time playing a character, only to have it unplayable due to this kind of thing happen. Quite off putting. I may decide to play elsewhere as this isnt the first time this has happened to players here, and since it hasnt been sorted out and is still happening to people on the off occasion it is making me think why bother having that risk and play somewhere else thats a bit more stable.
Richard Larkinson
Knight
Knight

So your not even going to look into it? Even if its to see if its a corrupt character file?
If you decide to : Account RaZorKiLL, Character : Feric Allener.
Last edited by Richard Larkinson on Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowflame
Count
Count

Post by shadowflame »

Richard Larkinson wrote:I have noticed this kind of problem happen before, but for me its gotten to the point where I can no longer play one of my characters. It doesnt matter what type of transition it is, a blue one on the floor, a door, the waypoints and portals.. I crashout and then upon trying to re-load back into the module I cant, even after a reset.

Its happened more often over the past 2 to 3 days and not to me but a few others too. Ive been on a lot over the past few weeks and this specific problem has gotten steadily worse over that period of time.
This sounds like corrupt character data or something, especialy if its character specific, i had the same problem before. everytime i logged in with a certain character i would crash to desktop, i think a reset fixed this or maybe even Driller looked into it himself. Either way i understand your pedicament and its not nice to have a hard worked on character unplayable
OrionNebula
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Sure, I will look at it. But next time state your findings without the drama.

-driller
Richard Larkinson wrote:So your not even going to look into it? Even if its to see if its a corrupt character file?
If you decide to : Account RaZorKiLL, Character : Feric Allener.
Nottingham
Count
Count

Post by Nottingham »

I suddenly had transition crashing problems back in July when I got a new video card. I was using ATI Overdrive, and my card passed all the 3DMark tests and artifact tests I ran, but when I was playing Blackstone Keep 2, my game crashed during transitions, almost every time. I reset my card to default setting--which are still very nice with my 4890--and now I only get the occational crash during transitions. But it seems like the server has been a bit more buggy over the past week.
"Man must be forced to be free." Thomas Hobbes
Richard Larkinson
Knight
Knight

I doubt its my graphics card as I have 2 other characters and I can play both of them fine. I have even tried different types of transitions on both those 2 that are fine, on portals, waypoints and normal transitions and they are managing to zone normally. This other character will not zone in like the others, which seriously makes me think the character files data somewhere is corrupt. Also, I didnt mean to be dramatic, but I am sure you can imagine getting a character to level 20 and then this happen to it is a little upsetting and quite off-putting.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

This is a prevalent problem with NWN2.

The even have a sticky about.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/vi ... &forum=118

A search for Transition Crashes in recent posts.
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/se ... ype=recent

This is an ongoing problem. But, I will try to fix your character if I can.

-driller

Richard Larkinson wrote:I doubt its my graphics card as I have 2 other characters and I can play both of them fine. I have even tried different types of transitions on both those 2 that are fine, on portals, waypoints and normal transitions and they are managing to zone normally. This other character will not zone in like the others, which seriously makes me think the character files data somewhere is corrupt. Also, I didnt mean to be dramatic, but I am sure you can imagine getting a character to level 20 and then this happen to it is a little upsetting and quite off-putting.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Buggy? In what way?

-driller
Nottingham wrote:I suddenly had transition crashing problems back in July when I got a new video card. I was using ATI Overdrive, and my card passed all the 3DMark tests and artifact tests I ran, but when I was playing Blackstone Keep 2, my game crashed during transitions, almost every time. I reset my card to default setting--which are still very nice with my 4890--and now I only get the occational crash during transitions. But it seems like the server has been a bit more buggy over the past week.
Nottingham
Count
Count

Post by Nottingham »

It is just a general feel. Maybe it is in my head. Perhaps it is that there have been more players in the past week, and perhaps more players is going to mean more lag and other subtle instability issues. Or perhaps something else is causeing the lag in recent days. The only change I have noticed is the items not being automatically deleted from shops after a few minutes. How much that actually causes lag I have no idea. I cannot imagine it has much of an effect. But I have crashed more frequently in the past week... sometimes, I know it is a result of the lag. Going through a transition when there is lag is bad. :)
"Man must be forced to be free." Thomas Hobbes
shadowflame
Count
Count

Post by shadowflame »

driller wrote:Buggy? In what way?

-driller
Nottingham wrote:I suddenly had transition crashing problems back in July when I got a new video card. I was using ATI Overdrive, and my card passed all the 3DMark tests and artifact tests I ran, but when I was playing Blackstone Keep 2, my game crashed during transitions, almost every time. I reset my card to default setting--which are still very nice with my 4890--and now I only get the occational crash during transitions. But it seems like the server has been a bit more buggy over the past week.
These are a few major things i have noticed

1. Monsters in epic zones stop spawning

2. Transition crashes are common, (im aware this is a nwn2 issue, but it happens here ALOT)

3.Lagg is a major issue for some reason, especilally when the server hits double figures

4.Character specific login issues are becoming more common too
OrionNebula
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

1.I have put in debugging code to try to find out the root cause for this.
2.Not much I can do about this.
3.I think this was related to a maxed CPU, I have put in a more powerful one.
4.What do you mean?

Thanks,
-driller

shadowflame wrote:

2. Transition crashes are common, (im aware this is a nwn2 issue, but it happens here ALOT)

3.Lagg is a major issue for some reason, especilally when the server hits double figures

shadowflame
Count
Count

Post by shadowflame »

driller wrote:1.I have put in debugging code to try to find out the root cause for this.
2.Not much I can do about this.
3.I think this was related to a maxed CPU, I have put in a more powerful one.
4.What do you mean?

Thanks,
-driller

shadowflame wrote:

A week or so ago my character was unable to log into the server without crashing back to desktop, the problem was character specific and it didnt effect any other characters on that account, others have experianced similiar issues i believe.
OrionNebula
Richard Larkinson
Knight
Knight

Feric still isnt working, I havent managed to successfully log him in over the past 2 days. I did mail you with a possible solution a few days back since it worked in anothers account, but you havent got back to me about the possibility of doing the idea that I suggested.