Trolls

Post suggestions for improvements here.
twin_snakes
Count
Count

Re: Trolls

Post by twin_snakes »

driller wrote:Luceran made the same suggestions about the portal book as Nottingham did, which I agreed with .
As I explained in another post. The cost is about half of BSK1's portal scrolls.

-driller
twin_snakes wrote:I asked a question in my post and it seems it was ignored completely. We have been asked to make suggestions, I have made some and now they aren't even acknowledged?
Are we generating at least half of the gold as we did on bsk1?

How about the other suggestions made?
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Which ones? I have upped the gold a little and tweaked the trolls btw.

-driller
twin_snakes wrote:
driller wrote:Luceran made the same suggestions about the portal book as Nottingham did, which I agreed with .
As I explained in another post. The cost is about half of BSK1's portal scrolls.

-driller
twin_snakes wrote:I asked a question in my post and it seems it was ignored completely. We have been asked to make suggestions, I have made some and now they aren't even acknowledged?
Are we generating at least half of the gold as we did on bsk1?

How about the other suggestions made?
tlantl
Baron
Baron

Post by tlantl »

Tweaked the trolls!! * exclaims happily*
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

They are tough, but should give more XP.

-driller
tlantl wrote:Tweaked the trolls!! * exclaims happily*
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

But adding AC to helms or shields makes you virtually untouchable by monsters. I have already tested and confirmed this.

-driller
Caesius wrote:I think that because we are already limited to only 1 property per item we are already making a trade off. If we add AC, we can't add a bonus to saves. We can't add damage reduction. We can't add a myriad of things that allowed players in BSK1 to have their cake and eat it too in the form of multiple property items. I think the problem regarding AC and challenge lies with the fact that a majority of the monsters on the server do their damage by making regular melee attack rolls.

The AC bonus from a helmet is a deflection bonus. That means that this is one of the few types of AC still counted when an enemy uses a ranged touch attack. Ranged touch attacks ignore armor, shield and natural ac. People who get flanked and don't have uncanny dodge lose their dex bonuses to ac. Mages can throw spells that completely bypass AC. AC isn't the equalizer like it used to be in the days of 5 and 6 property items. Why? Because when you choose to become harder to hit with a sword, you become easier to hit with a spell. Some people like to specialize and are prepared to accept the price that has to be paid for it by being very weak in other areas. Also keep in mind, when you use feats like expertise and items like tower shields, your attack bonus suffers which prolongs a fight giving monsters time to do more damage. And we all know how monsters love to go after easy targets like ranged attackers before they die while the tank of the party is chasing behind being ignored.

I guess if I come across as upset it's only because AC to helms and shields stack the same as they always have NWN1 and so these results were not a surprise. When I finally get these forged items I waited so long for then lose half of these items in less than a day. Less than a day of testing to even see if this AC was too much, I can't help but feel discouraged.

My suggestion in regards to dealing with AC specialized characters is this: Make monsters that can hurt in other ways than merely swinging a weapon. A fighter with a king sized AC could get decimated with a finger of death, an implosion spell or a dominate person spell.

That's why I think AC on shields and helms is balanced and should be allowed.

Back on topic, I think it would be cool if they dropped something like troll meat which might work like a lesser vigor potion for those who consume it. It would be a treasure unique to the troll lair that might attract a few more visitors.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

driller wrote:But adding AC to helms or shields makes you virtually untouchable by monsters. I have already tested and confirmed this.

-driller
Caesius wrote:I think that because we are already limited to only 1 property per item we are already making a trade off. If we add AC, we can't add a bonus to saves. We can't add damage reduction. We can't add a myriad of things that allowed players in BSK1 to have their cake and eat it too in the form of multiple property items. I think the problem regarding AC and challenge lies with the fact that a majority of the monsters on the server do their damage by making regular melee attack rolls.

The AC bonus from a helmet is a deflection bonus. That means that this is one of the few types of AC still counted when an enemy uses a ranged touch attack. Ranged touch attacks ignore armor, shield and natural ac. People who get flanked and don't have uncanny dodge lose their dex bonuses to ac. Mages can throw spells that completely bypass AC. AC isn't the equalizer like it used to be in the days of 5 and 6 property items. Why? Because when you choose to become harder to hit with a sword, you become easier to hit with a spell. Some people like to specialize and are prepared to accept the price that has to be paid for it by being very weak in other areas. Also keep in mind, when you use feats like expertise and items like tower shields, your attack bonus suffers which prolongs a fight giving monsters time to do more damage. And we all know how monsters love to go after easy targets like ranged attackers before they die while the tank of the party is chasing behind being ignored.

I guess if I come across as upset it's only because AC to helms and shields stack the same as they always have NWN1 and so these results were not a surprise. When I finally get these forged items I waited so long for then lose half of these items in less than a day. Less than a day of testing to even see if this AC was too much, I can't help but feel discouraged.

My suggestion in regards to dealing with AC specialized characters is this: Make monsters that can hurt in other ways than merely swinging a weapon. A fighter with a king sized AC could get decimated with a finger of death, an implosion spell or a dominate person spell.

Back on topic, I think it would be cool if they dropped something like troll meat which might work like a lesser vigor potion for those who consume it. It would be a treasure unique to the troll lair that might attract a few more visitors.
If the majority of monsters on your server used mostly fire spells, than Fire Resistance would be considered too powerful instead of AC. I am merely suggesting the implementation of more kinds of attacks than just a simple melee attack roll. This would make AC less relevant. Good work with the trolls by the way!
The only constant is change.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I will diversify the monster's attacks.

-driller
Caesius wrote:
driller wrote:But adding AC to helms or shields makes you virtually untouchable by monsters. I have already tested and confirmed this.

-driller

If the majority of monsters on your server used mostly fire spells, than Fire Resistance would be considered too powerful instead of AC. I am merely suggesting the implementation of more kinds of attacks than just a simple melee attack roll. This would make AC less relevant. Good work with the trolls by the way!