After Ogres?

Post suggestions for improvements here.
StarChild
Count
Count

After Ogres?

Post by StarChild »

Okay after fighting ogres (once they've become too hard) one's general next course of action is one of the following:

1. Bugbears
2. Tyranoids
3. Forest Giants

I was wondering if you could put an area in between because the three i just listed knock serious damage off you. Which is fine but it would be nice to move onto an area where you're not required to rest every 8 minutes just to stay alive or where three good hits will take you out. Just a thought.

By the way i'm not saying that no such area exist. If one days I would like to know that it does. I don't have to know where. I'll go find it myself so long as its real.
AVAILABLE NOW!! Live Their Lives. Walk Their Adventures. Join Them...
http://TheDa-MaiSaga.webs.com
Nottingham
Count
Count

Re: After Ogres?

Post by Nottingham »

If an area like you are wanting does not exist, that does not mean that it has to. Who has not chipped away at some levels, earning 10-20 xp at a time--or less--just to get powerful enough to survive and thrive in tougher areas? It just sounds like players are wanting to have their cake and eat it too: easy monsters with nice xp and treasure drops. I think it is awesome that a wall is met and players begin to level more slowly and die more frequently. I am kind of there, too, killing maybe three bugbears and having to either run off to rest or use up a lot of gp worth of healing supplies. Making it to level 10 may not earn a congrats, but making it to level 15 is another matter. In the end, I do understand that this is just my opinion.
"Man must be forced to be free." Thomas Hobbes
tlantl
Baron
Baron

Post by tlantl »

I agree with starchild in that there a whole lot of barbarian basher type monsters for us to endlessly destroy. I don't think an easier area is what is called for here. Instead perhaps a different kind of grind. An area full of various tricks and traps for us to contend with. Maybe we could get 5 or 10 experience points for a few random traps sprinkled liberally through what amounts to a thieves or mage's tower. Sorcery loot to find, or some stealth stuff, or maybe just a tome with the first part of a longer story which leads over time to others like it. Ultimately culminating with a useful if underpowered goodie determined by the character build finding it. You know, stuff like that.

Some of us like the thrill of discovery over a constant and endless grind against more and more powerful, but basically the same, monsters. Brutes are nice but there are other types of foes. A little variety so to speak.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

One thousand or so years ago, there was a Thieves' Guild residing near the base of the Blackstone Mountains. Perhaps some of their descendants refound the old hall/lair and have gotten the attention of the Warden and he can place a warrant on their leader's thieving hand?
ZOMFGOMBIES!
wdpepsiman
Count
Count

Post by wdpepsiman »

you guys might want to try the minotaurs with a few good buffs and a tank the xp can be very rewarding
StarChild
Count
Count

Post by StarChild »

perhaps I sounded too greedy. All I'm saying is that its hard to lvl 10ish-15ish. If there were other ways or other people through which we could get xp through other means it would be nice. However I don't totally disagree with the idea that some period in every characters life should be more challenge then other periods. I guess the idea of taking forever to lvl 10-16 is growing on me. All the while being irritating at the same time.

With the proper party you can do anything though. Just that its hard to find the proper party these days.
AVAILABLE NOW!! Live Their Lives. Walk Their Adventures. Join Them...
http://TheDa-MaiSaga.webs.com
tlantl
Baron
Baron

Post by tlantl »

wdpepsiman wrote:you guys might want to try the minotaurs with a few good buffs and a tank the xp can be very rewarding

all of the characters I play are two hit wonders in that area. Even with the help of four others I have to stay out of range of their weapons. Even with a 31 ac I'm a road bump for them. It doesn't help that every monster I encounter seems to have uncanny dodge or incredible reflex saves. My fireballs are useless. At least my few rays of enfeeblement and invisibility spells work.

The biggest problem for me, though, is the horrible lag I get in a fully buffed party. I guess if I were to play one dimensional characters like fighters, barbarians or cleric things would be different but all of my bard sorcerer combo's are at the mercy of the area designer. I hope he hears me as I cry Uncle!!

One other thing, The journey forward is as rewarding as the goodies at the end. It does get a little stale when you have to grind the same kinds of monsters to increase in power. I for one would like some variety in the monsters and other obstacles I am given to overcome. Not merely the experience value of those challenges.