A new shadow arrives

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Nite Mage
Commoner
Commoner

A new shadow arrives

Post by Nite Mage »

Shaym steps off the boat onto the dock and strecthes. The halfling has never liked traveling by sea, but he really had no choice this time. In a rush, it was the best choice. Not the first time Shaym has had to leave town fast, and surely won't be the last. Taking a deep breath, he realizes its time to get away from the docks. "Enough of this sea air" he grumbles, as he walks down the dock.
Right away Shaym spots an annoying fat man, shouting to talk to him. Ignoring him, he walks deeper into the keep. Several kids are playing some game, and getting into the way of passerbys. Shaym slips by the kids grumbling, "I need some rest, before I kill these damn kids."
The halfling spots an Inn and heads for it, "An ale and some rest is what I'm about." Shaym moves lightly down the street toward the Inn, noticing every nook and crany. He passes a blacksmith and ponders seeing about a new blade. "Later, all in good time. I will rest first, then get a good look at this new town."
Passing through the door into the Inn, he is ambushed by the sound of patrons, "marks" he thinks. "Too many cheery folk here." A brief chat with an oddly colored gnome, and Shaym heads to the bar for his ale. Drinking deeply, to try and wash away the salt air that had built up, he surveys the room. A human waitress named Kim is working her tail off, delivering drinks and fighting off stray hands. Two elves chat quietly with each other, looking down their long noses at the other patrons in the tavern. Shaym notices a "dark" figure in the far corner, the figure is trying to look as if he isn't interested with all that is going on, but is failing miserably. "I will have to watch this chap, maybe have a chat with him later" Shaym whispers to himself.
Finishing his drink, Shaym slides the cup across the bar. Hopping off the bar stool, he lightly lifts a few coins from a drunk dwarf sitting at a table, and heads to his room. "A little rest and then we shall have a bit o fun."
Gamlik Stormforge, the more handsome and less odor offensive brother of Hector Stormforge.
Shaym, halfling assasin.
Nite Mage
Commoner
Commoner

Re: A new shadow arrives

Post by Nite Mage »

Quietly crawling out of the window into the night, Shaym closes the window behind him. Waiting for his eyes to adjust doesn't take long, the halfling has excellent vision in the dark. Shaym crawls down the outside of the Inn and lighty lands on the cobblestone.

Moving silently in the shadows was more comfortable to him than walking among the people in the light. Shaym was raised among the tall people, instead of a village of halflings. Never treated as an equal, being half their size, it became easier for him to just stay out of sight. The shadows befriended Shaym, didn't look down on him. The shadows didn't judge Shaym, in fact they helped Shaym exact his revenge on all that treated him bad. Shaym had grown so well with the shadows he could become virtually unseen when he chose, day or night.

Moving along the side of the Inn, Shaym notices a side door. Moving up next to the door and listening in, he hears something inside. "Snoring? Yes, must be a storeroom for the tavern, and the guard is sleeping." Without a thought his hands had already skillfully picked the lock and was moving the door open. A moment later, Shaym exited the storeroom with a few more coins and a couple of bottles of wine for his pack. "A dog? A dog to guard the storeroom? Almost wish it had been a sleeping elf or human guard. I have no wish to kill a dog, if I don't have to."

Standing by the front of the Inn, Shaym waited patiently for his quarry. He didn't have to wait long before a dark cloaked figure exited the Inn. This was the same fellow who had stood in the corner of the tavern earlier. The man nervously looked about, then hurried off down the street. Following him was too easy for Shaym, he must be a second rate thug at best, but surely is aware of the local underground activities. Shaym followed him down an alley behind some homes, and when the rogue stopped to check his backtrack, the little halfling moved in swiftly.

A quick slice to the back of his knee, crumpled the larger man. Before he could cry out, Shaym was stuffing a cloth in his mouth. This all happened with practiced speed and acuracy. Holding a small vial in the face of the thug, Shaym whispered "Who is the local fence for stolen goods, and who is in charge of the local thieving activities? Satisfy my answers, and you may drink the contents of this vial and the pain in your knee will go away" Through clenched teeth the thug told everything he knew as fast as he could, then begged for the vial. Shaym put the vial to his lips and let him drink deeply. "Relax" whispered Shaym in his ear as the thug started to convulse and his life slowly left his body. "Your master would surely not want you alive after you so easily gave up so much information."

Shaym propped the body up against a large crate in a trash pile. Reaching into his pack he opened a bottle of wine from the Inn's storeroom. He quickly took a drink, then poured half on the from of his victim. After placing the half empty bottle of wine in his hands, Shaym dissapeared into the shadows.

"Now let's see what kind of local government we have here."
Gamlik Stormforge, the more handsome and less odor offensive brother of Hector Stormforge.
Shaym, halfling assasin.
Nite Mage
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Nite Mage »

The next step for Shaym was to see what the local government was about. The mayor’s office was located across from the local temple. Shaym had seen citizens come and go, but not too frequent. He would go in disguised as a new merchant, requesting a license to sell his wares. Maybe this way he could find out who all received payments from the merchants, which usually reveals the darker side of a city.

Brushing some light colored chalks into his hair, and donning a multi-colored robe of an unfortunate traveling merchant, Shaym was satisfied with he disguise. Looking at the robe Shaym thought of the gnome merchant who had insulted his intelligence. Funny how he wasn’t so smart when he begged for his life. Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he placed a small cap on his newly colored hair and headed out for an early morning meeting with the mayor.

Passing by a large tree with benches under it, he notices several citizens sitting around chatting, “Good morn to ya!” he says to a very average looking human standing next to a bench. The peasant smiles wide, revealing his lack of teeth, “And to you good sir”. Sure he smiles and acts pleasant now, but he would cut my throat in a heartbeat if it produced one gold piece, Shaym thought. Everyone turns into an animal when it comes to survival.

Shaym entered the mayor’s building, and approached two guards that were blocking the way to what Shaym must assume was the mayor’s office. “A fine morn it is out there lads, too fine to be a workin indoors wouldn’t ya say?” One guard was an older, seasoned veteran of some skirmishes, and had some scars on his face and forearms to prove it. The other was a younger chap, who had probably only seen action in a training arena, but moved lightly on the balls of his feet. There was no question the younger fellow could use his sword, but had surely never killed anything more than a stray dog. “Yeah, it’s a fine day”, grumbled the older guard.

Moving up close to the guards, Shaym noticed a small alcove lined with bookcases off to one side of the guards, a nice receiving room behind the guards, and a dark staircase heading down. He also heard the older guard whispering to the younger, “..hands on your money pouch….”

“What can we do for ya this morn?” asked the younger chap.

“A meetin with the mayor I guess. Ya see young sir, I am a merchant just arrived to town. Would like to pay my taxes and set up shop, to sell some goods. Need to know who to pay.” Shaym smiled, as he hoisted his trousers with two hands and left his thumbs in his belt with his chest out proudly.

“Run along peck! The mayor ain’t seeing anyone this morning” barked the older guard “Besides, we got enough merchants ‘round here.”

“Don’t call me ‘peck’” Shaym growled through clenched teeth. “There is no reason to insult me.” A tightness started to strain his temples. Anger rose rapidly, and his vision started to close. He brushed past the guards and moved into the alcove, “I have not insulted you, I am just here for business.”

“Hey!” shouted the old guard as he chased after Shaym, “I said get out!” He reached out and grabbed the back of Shaym’s multi-colored robe, “We don’t need your kind……”

Shaym spun away leaving the scar-faced guard holding his robe while his life poured from the long gash running from his belly to his groin. Without thinking, acting on instincts he had honed since childhood, Shaym slipped into the shadows along the bookcases. The younger guard raced in with his sword out, and confidence radiating from his face. Confidence switched to surprise as he noticed the older guard collapse with an empty robe. Shaym darted from the shadows and left a thin bloody line across the thigh of the young fellow. Instictively dodging a thrust of the sword, Shaym cut across the wrist of his sword hand as he rolled behind the guard. As the sword fell to floor, the guards knees followed as he lost the feeling in his legs, caused by a quick slice across his spine.

The younger man looked up from his paralysis to Shaym, pleading with his eyes. “In your next life, treat smaller peoples with more respect.” Shaym whispered coldly to him. The guards eyes widened as he saw the blade in Shaym’s hand fall towards his neck.

Moving among the shadows, Shaym distanced himself from the Mayor’s Building. Into an alley, and up to a rooftop in a flash. Resting behind a chimney, Shaym tried to clear his head. “Always talkin’ down to me, then beggin’ for their lives. I didn’t go there to kill the guards, they provoked me.”
Shaym, halfling assasin.
Nite Mage
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Nite Mage »

Perched on a rooftop Shaym studied the activities of the townspeople. They went about their day, oblivious to death. They act as if death may forget about them, if they are just happy and work hard. They are so wrong. Death has a great memory, and cares not of happiness. Death will find the hard worker and the slacker, the rich and the poor, the wise and the simple. Death has many ways to find someone, many agents, many vessels. Shaym is one such vessel.

“I need to earn some gold” Shaym muttered to himself, “Time to pick up some odd jobs.” He eased his blade from its sheath. It was a heavy blade, bigger than a dagger or dirk, but shorter than a small sword. It was a prized possession of a master thief, in a town far away, many years passed. The blade has many enchantments on it, and never seems to lose it’s edge. “You have been very good to me” he whispered to the blade as he cleaned it with an oil soaked rag.

As the day ended, regular folks headed for their homes and the darker side of life began its day. Shaym moved through the town making less noise than a moth, and less visible than death’s shadow. He passed a pair of drunken sailors, and relieved them of some hard earned coin. A few coins here and there was easy enough, but Shaym needed more. A bigger job was what he needed.

Shaym waited in the shadows at the end of an alley. He had watched this house the night before and had a good idea of what was going on inside. He didn’t have to wait long before a slender man stepped out of the house. He looked around, and then took up a comfortable stance to the side of the door. He was dressed in dark colors, mostly black with some dark greens. A small buckler was slung over his shoulder with a thin leather strap. Several throwing daggers were visible along his belt and in his boots, but his weapon of choice as definitely his rapier. It was slung on his left hip, not too high and not too low. His cloak seemed to never be in the way of a clean draw. This was no local street tough, he was a seasoned rogue. His sharp eyes seemed to glisten under his hood, as they scanned the alley and rooftops. His gaze finally came to a rest on Shaym, but he did not seem surprised. He motioned with his hands in a quick language known to most of the seedier types. Shaym was waiting for this, and answered in reply. With acceptance from the sentry, Shaym moved from the shadows and approached the man. As he got near the man simply reached and opened the door and nodded for him to go inside. With a slight bow, Shaym entered.

The inside of the house was dimly lit, dusty and had miss-matched furniture randomly placed about. A giant figure, probably of some orcish decent, motioned Shaym into another room then closed the door behind him. There was a small table with several chairs around it. Occupying the chair across from Shaym with his back to the wall was an elf. He was wearing a light chain mail vest made from a dark metal. He wore a black cloak with the hood pulled up over his head, casting shadows over the sharp facial features of his elven bloodline. Long dark hair fell out from his hood to frame his face. His hands rested lightly on the table, and were covered in a black, soft looking leather glove. On his forearms he wore black leather bracers with small daggers sheathed on the top of them. With a relaxed grace, he motioned Shaym to a chair opposite him. Shaym took the chair with a smile and said, “Greetings”.

“Welcome to our town” the elf said with a musical voice. “I have been waiting for you to give us visit. You seemed to sort out the inner workings here quickly.”

“Not my first relocation to a new city” Shaym replied lightly, “and I am looking to work with you here, not against you.”

“Good to hear,” replied the dark cloaked elf “but we need to go over a few rules here.”

“Absolutely” Shaym answered.

“First, no more killing guards unless contracted.”

Shaym grinned and nodded.

“Next, we have been overcome by pilgrims here. Too many adventurers here to make a name for themselves. We need to thin the population, make it an unpleasant place for travelers to move. We will pay for proof of each pilgrim you dispose of.” The elf paused a moment, then continued “Try to be discreet about it, take care of business outside of the keep, after a few jobs, we will be able to see your talents and better use them.”

Shaym hopped off the chair and reached a hand across the table, “It will be a pleasure to work with you.”

The elf accepted the Halfling’s hand, “Return when you have some evidence of a job done.”

Shaym exited the house at the end of the alley with a new spring in his step. He had successfully connected himself in this new city, and would soon be making some good coin.
Shaym, halfling assasin.
Nite Mage
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Nite Mage »

Moving swiftly among the stalagmites and stalactites, he kept a wary eye for the inhabitants of the cave. Shaym had found this cave a couple days before as he followed some 'brave souls' looking for fortune. Giant bugs lived in the cavern, beetles, much bigger than the halfing. But the giant beetles is not what he came here to find.

In a dark corner, he found what he had come for. Under a ledge that jutted from the cave wall were hundreds of small beetles, the young of the giant beetles. Shaym pulled a large, damp leather pouch out of his backpack with both hands. Holding it over the pile of writhing beetle young, he dumped its contents onto the pile.

The young beetles went to work viciously, making a clicking and grinding noise as their little mandibles and pinchers opened and closed. Shaym chuckled to himself, "Ya want some proof do ya? How 'bout a skull cleaned spotless by a hundred beetles?"

Shaym spent several hours watching the beetles with fascination, but staying alert for the parents of the hungry young. The beetles made quick work of the skull, and Shaym collected his trophy and returned it to the leather pouch.

As he left the cavern and emerged into the moonlit night, he smiled to himself. "Time to collect some coin from the elf." With his "proof" safely in his backpack, he hurried off toward the keep.
Shaym, halfling assasin.
Nite Mage
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Nite Mage »

Looking at the stack of freshly cleaned skulls set upon his table the elf glanced over to Shaym, "You have been a very busy hin".

Wincing at the term used for the halfling race Shaym leaned forward, locking the elf's gaze with his own "Please, just call me Shaym, at least one in that pile talked down to me."

Staring into the deep, almost glowing green eyes of the halfling, the elf slowly raised a black, leather gloved hand palm out "Sorry Shaym, it was not meant as insult." With his other hand he slid a small leather pouch across the table to Shaym. "At the price we agreed in gold, you would need a henchman to carry your earnings. I have paid you in rare gems, and jewels. I thought this would be easier, but look the gems over and you decide."

Picking up the pouch, he smiled to the elf "I am sure it will be fine." Shaym hopped down from the chair and headed for the door. As he reached the door Shaym stopped and turned back to the elf, "I may slow down a bit now that I have some earnings. I may look around a bit, see what my new home has to offer. I will surely check in often, to either collect some more gold, or just to see if you need me for anything else."

The elf nodded as the halfling disappeared out the door. "Well, a pile of skulls, I guess that is proof. A little disturbing I might add." Two figures stepped from the shadows to join the elf. An elf, dressed in black and carrying a long black bow, smiled and took a seat at the table "I like his method, he is very clever."

The other figure was the human who had let Shaym into the 'house' the first time. "He is very efficient, and usually very tidy about his work. He is obviously very experienced in his work." The human took the other seat at the table, and leaned back, "He could be a good addition, not just a hired hand."

"Hmm, maybe. You two keep an eye on him for now. Let's make sure about the halfling before we bug him about a new member. He has plenty on his mind at the moment." Standing and looking down at the table the elf looked at the two seated across from him, "Please do something with these skulls."
Shaym, halfling assasin.
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

Jon rose from his desk as the two figures walked in. One, a human of average height yet slender and graceful. The second, a tall elf with a long bow slung over his shoulder.

“Greetings my lord”, said the human as swung his cloak aside and bowed.

Nodding to the human, “Hello Ferros”, and then to the elf “Serion”. Jon motioned to some chairs. “Have you seen this?” Jon chuckled as he tossed some papers to the desk.

“The Blackstone Times?” asked the elf. “Yes we have seen it.”

“An interesting read” replied Jon “Someone must really hate this knight.”

“Do you wish us to find out who this knight is my lord?”

“No Ferros, it matters not to me. If someone wishes to smear the name of a knight, I cannot see any profit in us getting involved. It sounds like some local politics, someone making a move for power or control. Or maybe just some hatred toward this knight being displayed. Either way, it matters not to me.”

Pouring ale into a jeweled mug from a keg Jon asked, “Now about things that matter to us. What of the murdered guards at the mayor’s office? The warden had to be paid more this month.”

Ferros straightened, “A new recruit, he has been told not to touch the local guards. It happened before we could talk to him.”

Jon was quiet for a few moments, then after taking a long pull of ale, “Tell me of the new recruit.”

“I like him.” Serion said as he rose and crossed the room to the keg. “A hin, very good at his craft.”

“A halfing” Ferros corrected, “he doesn’t like being called ‘hin’, Shaym is his name. He is very good, but seems to have a bit of a temper. Which may be what happened with the guards, we watched him go in disguised as a merchant. He came out visibly upset and muttering to himself.”

Jon sat back down in his chair, “Is he the one that’s been pilfering citizen’s pockets? I am getting complaints of increased activity.”

“I don’t think so lord” Serion said as he filled a mug of ale from the keg, “He has plenty of coin, and I don’t think that is what he is really good at.” Serion paused, smiled, “He is better at removing ‘problems’ than stealing a few coins from the local peasants.”

“I see” Jon said as he leaned back and put his boots on his desk.

“Would you like a meeting with him?” asked Ferros.

“Up to you two. Watch him a bit, if you think he could be a good asset, then bring him around.”

Serion finished his ale and replaced the mug next to the keg “As you wish my lord.”

Ferros rose from is seat, and he and the elf left the room.

Interesting turn of events, thought Jon.
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
Nite Mage
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Nite Mage »

Shaym walked into the tavern. He had been here a few times lately, a dark tavern in the middle of the desert.

He had stumbled onto the oasis after following some unsuspecting adventurers from the keep. The skirmish was quick, but bloody. Shaym had been surprised by the fighting abilities of the two warriors, but managed to dispatch them both with only a minor wound. A quick search of their belongings revealed some enchanted elixirs, a finely crafted sword and a good cache of gold coins. After removing some ‘proof’ from the two and placing it in a leather bag, he had discovered the tavern.

Shaym was now becoming a regular here in the tavern, he liked it. Folks here would just smile and nod, never asking too many questions. There was always a bard about somewhere, singing his songs, reciting poems or just telling tales for free drinks. It was a good place to just relax.

Shaym sat down at the table in the corner where he always sat. He ordered three ales, tipped the waitress and waited.

Almost on cue, two dark figures entered the tavern. Shaym hopped down from his chair, and with a flourishing of his cloak, bowed deeply while motioning the two to the vacant chairs at his table. He returned to his seat and smiled.

The two approached without hesitation. The first was a tall elf, dressed in dark leathers and cloaks. Leather straps crisscrossed his forearms to allow quick use of his bow without interference of the clothing. Several quivers were slung about him, full of black feather fletched arrows. He had a sly grin on his face, and didn’t hesitate to pick up an ale from the table as he sat down.

The second was a man he had met several times, but had never caught his name. He took the other chair, and with a questioning look, pointed at the ale in front of him.

Shaym smiled, “I thought ya might be a bit thirsty following me about the desert.” He sipped at his own ale, and grinned back with almost glowing emerald colored eyes.

“Thank you Shaym, I don’t mind if I do” replied the elf. “I am called Serion, and yes we have been watching you.”

Shaym nodded to Serion and looked to the human, “We have met, yet I don’t seem to remember your name.”

“Ferros”, the human said as he place the empty glass back on the table and whipped foam from his lips with the back of his hand. “Shall we talk of business?”

Shaym leaned forward in his seat, “I have been wondering when the real professionals would show up. I never thought for a minute that the elf in town was really running things. I hear rumors and rumblings of bigger and better things.” Shaym chuckled, “Is it you two that I have impressed or someone else?”

“Well don’t get too full of yourself pec…., halfling” Serion smiled at his own correction. “We think you may have potential.”

Ferros waved at the maid for another round, then look at Shaym, “We think you may have some, let’s say qualities, that we might like to better use. If you are interested in moving up to a better position, maybe we could introduce you to our employer.”

“Yes, yes. I am very interested. I was growing bored with this mundane stuff, and was wondering when you two would finally have a chat with me. I figured if ya didn’t like me, I would have sprouted arrows in my back and been closely introduced to the rapier on your hip Ferros.”

Serion smiled, “Indeed you would have.” then after a short time with their gazes locked, Serion started laughing. Then Ferros and Shaym joined in.

“Okay” Ferros said, “You will not need to collect those skulls anymore if you don’t want to. Although, I think you rather like it. You will be given what you need, and trust me, we never want for much. We will seek you out again, and bring you to meet the boss”

“Sounds good”, Shaym chuckled. He was welling with excitement, he felt just like a child again.

Ferros and Serion finished their drinks and stood to leave. “Thanks for the drink” smiled Serion with the sly grin.

As they started for the door, Ferros turned back, “One more thing. Don’t bring up the two guards in the mayor’s office, Jon was not happy about that. It cost him a bit of ‘hush-coin’.”

Shaym smiled again, “My lips are sealed.”

He watched the two leave the tavern, and thought to himself, ‘Jon eh? I am sure I have heard this name whispered here and there. Maybe I won’t have to move again so soon. Maybe this can be my home for a bit.’
Shaym, halfling assasin.