Extra extra! 1.69 patch nerfs paladins!

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Re: Extra extra! 1.69 patch nerfs paladins!

Post by Thanatos »

Milk_Chocolate wrote: Now the RP point of view. Should the Holy Avenger, a weapon that is well... the holiest of weapons, be wielded to its full power by a charcter with only 1 level in paladin?
You mean like Shadow Dancers and HIPS? There are lots of these examples running around, from Rogues to Bards to Mages to Rangers. I'm not gonna bother illuminating the endless possibilites of running 1 lvl of such and such class. That's for each person to figure out for himself.

Running 1 lvl of Pally isn't THAT immortal by any standard.

Roland said it pretty well.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Andrun
Baron
Baron

Post by Andrun »

Milk_Chocolate wrote:When was the last time you saw a pure caster?
When I logged off this morning.
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

Thanatos wrote:
Milk_Chocolate wrote: Now the RP point of view. Should the Holy Avenger, a weapon that is well... the holiest of weapons, be wielded to its full power by a charcter with only 1 level in paladin?
You mean like Shadow Dancers and HIPS? There are lots of these examples running around, from Rogues to Bards to Mages to Rangers. I'm not gonna bother illuminating the endless possibilites of running 1 lvl of such and such class. That's for each person to figure out for himself.

Running 1 lvl of Pally isn't THAT immortal by any standard.

Roland said it pretty well.
SD is a prestige class... you need to have prereq's to earn its abilities. Anyone who is lawful good can get a pally level. Or anyone who is lawful period can switch to Vor to pick up a pally level.
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Milk_Chocolate wrote: SD is a prestige class... you need to have prereq's to earn its abilities. Anyone who is lawful good can get a pally level. Or anyone who is lawful period can switch to Vor to pick up a pally level.
Yeah, SD is a prestige class. One whose requirements can be met fairly easily. In fact, the only drawback to the requirements might be the "mobility" feat. And that's not really all that bad. The skill ranks you have to obtain don't stand any higher than 10 and can be obtained by taking one level in either of the splash classes or just dumping points to 'em anyways.

On the Paladin side, you have to be Lawful Good...yuck. That's worse than any of the requirements for being a Dancer.
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

most melee pvp builds don't buff anyway the side arm of a lvl1 pally fighter witch i've never seen isn't going to beat down anyone but cleric a 'stupid mage' (everyone should know what a smart one gana do) maybe some druid rangers but there buffs don't make huge difference anyway :roll:
Mauric, Cervantes, Von Celer, Vicho Swift, Zod, Vex
Alamore-Threepwood
Count
Count

Post by Alamore-Threepwood »

Well, Don has 3 pally, but would be kinda cool to see on HA, more pally levels, more damage it can do vs evil, like up to 2d10 extra divine damage against evil with say like 30 levels of pally + wooooo. And yea, any good melee build (Mauric, Gaberial, Tela, Marcus, Arial, Vicala, And a few others I dun know) Don't need buffs to win their fights, they will take you down buffs or no buffs, if they do, it's like imp invis for 50% concleament, no real big loss in a melee fight. And if it really bugs you that much, just grab a wand of greater spell breach, minor buffs gone, and most clerics are not known for their "PvP melee combat ablilites" most of the time, if they do win, it's because of their high concentrate, heals, and harms. So end of story, HA isn't that cheap, could indeed be made to be a little bit more powerful, but is fine as is, and isn't say like PM being able to add to your caster's spell damage, duration, and spell pen. If you wanna complain about things being able to dispel though, complain about all those rouge/fighter/wm builds with UMD of 43 and 50 mord scrolls on hand.
Yes, I know, you think all of my suggestion are stupid, but you know what, there is nothing wrong with adding an action server feeling to a role playing server.

If your not worth a good laugh, your worth nothing at all.
Alter Fritz
Baron
Baron

Post by Alter Fritz »

Well it seems that Bioware has decided that the HA is too powerful, or they wouldn't be nerfing it. I agree that it should be based on the experience level of the paladin. It is the logical solution. And yes, arguements can be made for a lot of overpowered abilites, skills, and spells. This game is not perfect, it was originally built for 20 lvl chars not 40. So after each adition and patch, there is an effort to equalize the classes and races. Then comes the server we choose to play on, each server can be different because of what items are available(sockets, forging, uber-items) or just server races and rules. It would be hard for Bioware to anticipate all these possibilties and change every class, skill , race and special item to try to keep it balanced. However they have decided to nerf the HA, they must have some good reason.
Frankenstein doesn't scare me...
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Alter Fritz wrote: However they have decided to nerf the HA, they must have some good reason.
Careful on that one...we'd like to think they have good reasons for everything they do. But NWN2 has pretty much squashed my hope for that.
tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Post by tropiofCancer »

As most of you probably know but maybe a few of you dont , HA has already been nerfed by Driller . No matter how much UMD you have its worthless in any but a paladins hands , all it does is take up space when your forging..alot of space I might add. One lvl of paladin is a huge offset when your playing a PvP melee build , dispeling isnt even a factor when I make a paladin build , its the +10 ac +10 div damage you know what I mean? Sure you get +5 EB and Dispel but I can tell you first hand I have never dispeled mage spells of Dread , Tela , Duo , or Juzuams caliber . You also gotta understand that that 1 paladin level keeps you from some of the more powerful PvP classes . The most hardcore PvP melee build I ever played was a paladin/PaleMaster/Bard . Theres a reason you cant change the first part of you alignment on many servers. One level in a class makes a huge difference , its a big trade off when you take paladin levels .
A paladin has a chance of dispelling you yes , but a high level mage is still the most dangerous thing on two legs unless the'yre evil ..but come on . They know what a Great Smite X does and no one in their right mind is gonna throw down with one w/o going to the temple of Lia first . That is why a paladin is dangerous not some paltry dispel .
"Jesus Saves.....and takes half damage."
Hordack
Duke
Duke

Post by Hordack »

So being really the last true evil Guy I should avoid fighting Gabe and Raven *evil Chuckle* nah be no fun then :evil: :twisted:
Hordack The Dark
"Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Your only a "Legend" if the people believe the "myth's" that are told about you.
"Dark Stalker" aka "Hordack The Dark Thief of Blackstone Keep"
Milk_Chocolate
Duke
Duke

Post by Milk_Chocolate »

So I believe we reached a conclusion, that HA isnt as uber as I think it is?
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Milk_Chocolate wrote:So I believe we reached a conclusion, that HA isnt as uber as I think it is?
*nods*