Disspelling the rumor

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Tiberius
Commoner
Commoner

Re: Disspelling the rumor

Post by Tiberius »

Jazelle wrote:Most of the DMS have RL and families, jobs etc. Yes I know they are being selfish dealing with RL first then game life. But it does happen they have things other than BSK to do... shocking is it not.

I dont know if ur just being sarcastic and smart, or your serious, but let me break it to you.

1. I did not say they didnt have families or jobs.

2. I did not say they were selfish.

3. I would choose real life over a game anyday so I wasn't implying that. Seems like your also implying that *I* have no life. I do have a life tho, and a full time job working for the goverment I take my job very serious. I have alot of friends who dont even know I play this game, maybe my closest ones know but their not gonna make fun of me, their close friends of mine, and believe me alot of people in this day and age make fun of you for such things. Im 20 years old still young so it happens. I dont even look like the type to even play these kinda games ive heard from people , if you wish to find out why then visit my myspace at http://www.myspace.com/kennyrb but I really dislike it when people put words in my mouth or in this case "text" and make false assumptions as well it just shows a sign of ignorance from that person.

I was simply just saying I have msged various dms and couldn't get a hold of anyone, and FYI I heard about something I dont wanna mention publicly that pretty much makes anyone wrong if they think the DM's havnt been on at all so it really doesn't matter I already ended this discussion anyways with myle so there was no reason for you to post anything toward me anyways, and I would also request that this perhaps be locked so it doesn't esculate any further, of course that is up to the DM's to do. But im sure their gonna see where this is going, there was really no need for anyone to post anything toward me when it was ended already.
Characters:

Tiberius, High Advisor of Ral-Grey
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

I did not post to you so don't take it personal. In general I was posting since what you said and others I have heard from have simular statements about the DMs. Also the thread was generated by Myle a DM not you so it is up to him to lock the thread. I was just explaining that the dms are around just they at times have other things that make it look like they are not. As you and others found out they are around and will show up.
The world is a strange place.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Okay... there seems to be a broader lesson that I think could easily be addressed in this thread.

I am going to give you an example of a worst case scenerio:

When a ban wand is used, it grabs all associated Codes with a character and flaggs them.
This means...
:arrow: If you happen to log in at your cousins house two states away a few months ago and then your cousin gets himself banned, your ID code will be flagged also.... and...
:arrow: It means that anyone on your house lan that plays will be flagged because they play from your location....
:arrow: and it means that any friends that have visited your house and logged in at your house... will have their codes flagged...
:arrow: and anyone at their house
:arrow: and any of their friends and family.

etc....
etc...
etc...

Does anyone start to see why it is important to follow the rules?

Somewhere on the server is a database that connects each IP, cd-key, player and character..... So when a single character gets banned because of a single players actions = the consequences can be far reaching when people have shared computers or (heavens forbid) actually shared accounts.

Isolate IP bans can be troublesome- We once banned a character that belonged to a guy in Texas a few years ago.... Though I never knew the guy, much less shared a computer, his IP was somehow so close to mine that my account would have been banned also had Driller not researched another way to isolate the guys information... This is why we try not to ban by IP and prefer to ban by blocking associated key-codes, player-nics and/or character listings.

Banning someone is not a simple matter. It can get complicated quickly. This is one reason why we try to avoid them when we can. I recall 'back in the day' we banned a Pastor.... because the Pastor played on the same network as his ill-behaved child.

The problem is that with the anonymous nature of the internet, WE are not able to pin-point specific individual. All we have is the data we collect to go on.

It seems that this recent ban has resulted in more than one person being blocked from the server.
I am following up with those effected and if an amicable solution can be found, we will initiate it.

Be patient in the mean time.

and if your BSK buddy has disappeared, PM him/her here on the forums.... chances are - they got caught up in this matter.

The moral of this story:
Your ill deeds can haunt your friends: Follow the rules.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Just a bit of clarification.

There are three different types of bans I use.

1.A temp ban lasting until the next reset for the player's current character.
2.A temp ban lasting until the next reset for the player.
3.A perma ban for the player.

The first one is based on a unique hash stored on the player's character.
The second and third are based upon the player's cd key.

If you are logging on with multiple accounts and you get perma banned, then that means none of your accounts will be able to login.
Which is what sounds like happened.

-driller
ST_DM_Myle wrote:Okay... there seems to be a broader lesson that I think could easily be addressed in this thread.

I am going to give you an example of a worst case scenerio:

When a ban wand is used, it grabs all associated Codes with a character and flaggs them.
This means...
:arrow: If you happen to log in at your cousins house two states away a few months ago and then your cousin gets himself banned, your ID code will be flagged also.... and...
:arrow: It means that anyone on your house lan that plays will be flagged because they play from your location....
:arrow: and it means that any friends that have visited your house and logged in at your house... will have their codes flagged...
:arrow: and anyone at their house
:arrow: and any of their friends and family.

etc....
etc...
etc...

Does anyone start to see why it is important to follow the rules?

Somewhere on the server is a database that connects each IP, cd-key, player and character..... So when a single character gets banned because of a single players actions = the consequences can be far reaching when people have shared computers or (heavens forbid) actually shared accounts.

Isolate IP bans can be troublesome- We once banned a character that belonged to a guy in Texas a few years ago.... Though I never knew the guy, much less shared a computer, his IP was somehow so close to mine that my account would have been banned also had Driller not researched another way to isolate the guys information... This is why we try not to ban by IP and prefer to ban by blocking associated key-codes, player-nics and/or character listings.

Banning someone is not a simple matter. It can get complicated quickly. This is one reason why we try to avoid them when we can. I recall 'back in the day' we banned a Pastor.... because the Pastor played on the same network as his ill-behaved child.

The problem is that with the anonymous nature of the internet, WE are not able to pin-point specific individual. All we have is the data we collect to go on.

It seems that this recent ban has resulted in more than one person being blocked from the server.
I am following up with those effected and if an amicable solution can be found, we will initiate it.

Be patient in the mean time.

and if your BSK buddy has disappeared, PM him/her here on the forums.... chances are - they got caught up in this matter.

The moral of this story:
Your ill deeds can haunt your friends: Follow the rules.

Myle
Tiberius
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Tiberius »

Jazelle wrote:I did not post to you so don't take it personal. In general I was posting since what you said and others I have heard from have simular statements about the DMs. Also the thread was generated by Myle a DM not you so it is up to him to lock the thread. I was just explaining that the dms are around just they at times have other things that make it look like they are not. As you and others found out they are around and will show up.

And I stated that clearly and talked to Myle about that, and I just said that was up to a DM to lock this forum, I was merely suggesting it...read more carefully. Also Driller, I did share my comp with my bro and my friend has used my comp before on BSK however considering I changed the password for my computer my brother cant get on anymore cuz he doesnt have a computer at his house, which just so happens to be bext door.
Characters:

ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Thanks for the clarification Driller.

i.e. If someone is banned and you share a key-code with them = your banned for the duration also.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Tiberius
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Tiberius »

Understood, not a problem...hopefully its not too long, i bought a new game tho anyway while I wait for it to be lifted.
Characters:

GoVols
Count
Count

Post by GoVols »

Tiberius wrote:Well I heard from different people that dms never ban anyone on this server hardly and that was because none of them came on. But then I heard about something that I probably should say and tell you in a message instead...unfortunately the people who thought u guys never came on were wrong. But no doubt it is hard to contact you guys for me it seems. I send msgs but never get them back. I feel as if I achieved a great accomplishment even catching your guys attention now. Then I also heard from someone saying u guys dont come on cuz u think ur too good for us. So it's sorta going around the server, although after what I heard I just dont say anything anymore. Besides talking bad about a dm isn't very smart anyways.

One thing that people need to keep in mind is there are ways in game as well to take care of problem people. If you're new, unable to defend yourself, or just need a hand you can look up some of the guilds in the game, such as The Hunters. They are usually very willing to help out new people, and take care of problematic people as well.

This can help temporarily until a DM can be on and witness the behavior or get screenshots to their email accounts. Many times in the past The Hunters and others have taken care of people problems. I can remember when one of my first characters was a very low level and was getting killed in the Hamlet by a little Rogue. I went to the tree and asked some people for help and they gladly came to my aid. Nobody got banned, I didn't have to go bothering a DM, I didn't whine on the forums, I just solved it in game. To me this is the first line of action. If the problem continues after this, then a ban can easily result from a DM, since they know that other long term players are also witnessing the problems and the punishment is likely to be quicker.

I'm not saying don't run to DM's, I'm just offering a way to handle things in-game, especially when no DM's are on.
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.