RP - Keeping it real and in perspective

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

This is stated from a position of it being 'my opinion', but I think most RP'rs will agree with the majority of this post.

The whole point of RP is to submerge into fiction and breath life into it through a character of your creation. While you may create the character, you do not own the character once you give it life. Once set free, even if under your guidence, the life of the character belongs to every character they meet, every spawn they face and every instance that a wrong turn causes a moments pause as the proper direction is reevaluated.

They become the sum of their experiences in many ways, not just the numerical totals they earn from the mechanics of the game.

If you excercise full control over your character, then they are only a puppet and their personality never becomes a vechicle for you to explore the recesses of your own mind and creativity.

Each human has great capacity for kindness, cruelty and all that fills the spectrum between. It is through the act of surrendering your own ego that you can use these pixelated beings as outlets for the depths of possibility that you would otherwise supress.

This is why many of hollywood devolve into sniveling and pathetic reches with no will to control their urges.... they have submitted their life to fantasy and the line has blurred for them.

We have the safety mechanism of the off switch and the thoughtful community expectation that Real Life is both more important and very seperate from In Game life. However, we do recognise the significance and power of the IG lives we live and it is rightful of us to do so....

For each of our characters, be they sweet idealists or diabolical facists... they are part of our individual human potential.

So explore your inner self and recognise that you can only do so if you give your pixelated persona the freedom to belong not to you, but to the world they life in. Just remember, when you return to Real Life, live YOUR life with the understanding that whatever happens In Game is fantasy, no matter how alive it is.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
HelloBSK
Count
Count

Post by HelloBSK »

Wow, this is a GREAT message Myle. Kudo's Brotha! 8)
Shadow_Nightfall
Baron
Baron
Location: In the shadows bare, watching as you shed a tear for me

Post by Shadow_Nightfall »

I must agree, RP is lacking (on my part as well) . . . I will strive to do betta :P
<<The all powerful fire-breathing dragon!

warm winds, burning flame, a tear drops, I'll be the one to blame; summer themes, Amber Demonchild, burning coals, emotional moments halfway mild
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Thanks for the kudos, but it was notmy intent to draw attention to the amount or quality of RP on BSK.

Truth be told, I personally find that I get all the RP that I want when I take the time to invest the time to set the foundation for it. As I do not play regularly, my RP requires a bit more foundation effort now than it did in the past when I was in game here regularly.

The original post was actually triggered by a dicussion on Amia. The odd thing is that even on that server, where they require RP as a condition of playing, they lament the amount/quality of RP also. Anyways, someone posted about having adjustment problems with their RP style.

I posted this as a way to enlighten people about the artistic vechicle that RP provides and perhaps give those who have a hard time submerging into their adopted roles a gentle revelation about the experience and the relationship between players and their characters.

Not everyone prescribes to 'my style' of RP. My original post may not apply to everyone and some people have a vision of RP that works just fine In Game - even if their style would not be compatible with mine when compared in Real Life.

The imporant thing is that those of us who RP each take the time to discover our own expressive style and we extend courtesy to those still learning. When/if our characters meet someone with a different RP style or different level of expectation regarding quality - then those involved are best served by establishing a common ground or minimizing contact.

Online play is a community excercise that functions best when founded on the genuine interest of all participants enjoying themselves. RP is just one of the facets of this enjoyment.
Find your natural expressive style and enjoy yourself as you cooperate with the rest of the cummunity.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

I never thought I'd hear Myle using the phrase "Keeping it real"
Dear me.
chbtartdat
Knight
Knight

Post by chbtartdat »

Well, as role-play goes, it will differ between ages as well as styles. A 12 year old's style of RP will most likely be different from mine or someone older. As a drama club member, I tend to be a bit more serious in my RP when it is called for. When I play with Douglas and Brandon on Sundays we have "RP tokens". These are little statues or a rod or a special coin we hold when we're "in character". Granted, it's not always as serious as online, but the tone and timbre of our conversations convey a lot more than just typing an emote.

And therein lies the problem with online RP. It is typing and emotes. If you're using that half-ass shortcut texting language (Which annoys me to no end - even though my peers in high school use it) then emotion and meaning are lost. Douglas once commented on my lack of spelling errors and typing precision during marathon RP sessions on Canada West. To me it was just manners not to put forth a bunch of spelling mistakes and grammar errors while speaking OR typing. But that's just me.

RP is as RP does. If you want RP, then start it. If you want to join in RP, then don't make it all about your character. RP is sharing and caring about the character you've breathed life into. :D
Axe Madness
Duke
Duke

Post by Axe Madness »

far as typeing errors go some people don't take years of typeing classes in highschool i don't rp that much but when i do stand around a area and watch basically what i do most of the time slient guy in the corner kind of thing i firgue if people would be more open to others styles what they have to say then people will have there rp based on dat *nods* :lol:
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

To echo what Myle has already said, and others have clued into, it's a matter of knowing who your character is and what he/she would do in given situations. Is the character dynamic? can he/she change based on the circumstances presented? I would hope so! Just as in RL, differing circumstances present different choices. And just because a certain character is under an alignment doesn't necessarily mean that said character can choose otherwise. i.e. a pissed off paladin, or an assassin who's decided to reform. in summary, let your character be the person it's trying to be without too much intervention of your personal biases, and allow it to become. Sometimes this isn't easy to do, but when you allow it, you're in for a treat - much like a ventriloquist allowing the puppet to influence the puppeteer.
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

As for spelling and grammer errors well this is not a english test. Folks need to loosen up on that one. Think about how you talk rarely does someone correct you.

Since we are typing off the cuff and often very fast there is little time to check books or you miss the rp going on. More so if there are 5 folks talking to you at the same time.

Personally I just call typos "Accents". We all have our own accent and believe me listening to someone from New York talking to a deep southern will drive you crasy trying to understand either of them.

Besides correcting folks unless it is in fun for a really big goof is just not nice. The object is to keep the rp moving so do be understanding and remember this is improv.
The world is a strange place.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

viobane wrote:*sigh*

viewtopic.php?t=1273
*coughs* ... got that right pally ...
warlock
Count
Count

Post by warlock »

Haha!
Go Myle, you are making me rich!
GIVE ME A: I, W I I L R O B B Y O U
Blackstone Keep Veteran
Shadow_Nightfall
Baron
Baron
Location: In the shadows bare, watching as you shed a tear for me

Post by Shadow_Nightfall »

now is this 'Robb' an action verb or something else? lol
Yea, robbing in HIPS is pretty real and in perspective, Ima try that
*just messin around*
<<The all powerful fire-breathing dragon!

warm winds, burning flame, a tear drops, I'll be the one to blame; summer themes, Amber Demonchild, burning coals, emotional moments halfway mild