Suggestions for item combinations to fight Umgahs

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

DM Mystic... I have to disagree that NWN is designed as a social environment which is evident from the single player game/s each package has in its campaign forefront.

Whilst BSK and all other servers offering multiplayer evironment can indeed be determined as a social environment.

What has also come apparent in recent times in BSK is more use of the stick to force partying, rather than use of the carrot. Thus to encourage partying, I am one who much prefers the carrot than just continually making monsters tougher and tougher.

Or the other tactic to remove the availability of such items that which deemed esseintial to a characters survival. In the name of employing the need to force people to party when they are not encouraged to do so by any other means.

Added to this is the drops which when happen say with a forge stone, we'll say a red for instance in this case. Just watch the rush to get it. The two are in conflict forcing people to party and a drop system that encourages only conflict within a party. Hence people want to go solo so their loot is their own and no one elses.

Its all very well saying you should make pre-hunting agreements etc... but practically this does not work one high value forge stone dropped will cause any agreement to go completely out of the window. Same would be true if something like a pair of dragon slippers were dropped, you'd get crushed in the stampede.

Conclusion if any .... people just don't want to party because everything else is set against the need to party apart from increasingly difficult monsters to force partying.
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

I agree that the rarity of items which allow characters to solo causes players to forgo parties in the hopes that those same drops will happen for them. This is an unfortunate truth.

*sigh* Off topic.

Back to topic.

Venturing into the Umgah Territory shows me three things:

1. Umgahs = Piercing & Sneak Attack damage is common across the types. Sneak attack damage is not soakable except through stoneskin type spells. Regardless of a weapon type, sneak damage is separate.

2. Lancers = Plain, Elites = Acid, Captains = Sonic (No cold damage showed up on my window)

3. Mages = Insane. Period. Can't hit em. Can't spell em. Run Away.

So. In short, Murken is a non-Umgah killing mofo. No pun intended for his race.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

Oblivia can annihilate Umgah Magi in a couple of spell volleys. But the trick to wasting as few spells as possible is to open with a moderate damage spell then finish them off with something heavier. They seem to only resort to heal spells when they are below half health so softening them up before properly nuking them kills them before they get a chance to heal.
The only constant is change.
alnyndur
Knight
Knight

Post by alnyndur »

eclipse08 wrote:2. Lancers = Plain, Elites = Acid, Captains = Sonic (No cold damage showed up on my window)
The Elites do Acid and Cold damage.
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

alnyndur wrote:
eclipse08 wrote:2. Lancers = Plain, Elites = Acid, Captains = Sonic (No cold damage showed up on my window)
The Elites do Acid and Cold damage.
I went back and tried again. I saw no cold damage by any of the Umgahs. And all I have on me now is a Ring Of Power. It didn't even say "Cold 0". Maybe I'm reading the thing wrong.
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Well, if anyone were to take my suggestion seriously, you would find an Assasin to travel with. They can easily stun any of the Umgahs and nullify their opportunity to attack at all. But I guess it's more important to clamor after that red forge stone...
Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

Damnit.the umgahs do acid and SONIC damage..pfft
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

DM_Mystic wrote:Well, if anyone were to take my suggestion seriously, you would find an Assasin to travel with. They can easily stun any of the Umgahs and nullify their opportunity to attack at all. But I guess it's more important to clamor after that red forge stone...
There are red forge stones? Heresy. I haven't seen one yet. It doesn't exist! Hah! The Umgahs have given over exactly NO forge stones or socket gems/runes. Plain torches, crossbows, and a few sets of leather armor. I can't even disarm them to take their obviously superior rapiers. Forge stones? Doubtful. :D (The paragraph here was sarcasm)
BSK User: Douglas Thurman
Character: Regulus Hinder, Cleric of Kazra
Character: Test Subject One - Fighter, Level 6
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix