Weapon Specialization (Club)

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Weapon Specialization (Club)

Post by Some fellow »

Is taking Weapon Specialization (Club) with less than 4 Fighter levels considered a legitimate use of the game rules or an illegal exploit of a (clearly never-to-be-fixed) bug? I've read the server rules, and they deal mostly with exploiting server-side scripting and such, so I don't know what the take on this kind of thing is.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

A more important question is: Why a club?

They're possible the worse weapon, barre the Quarterstaff.
GoVols
Count
Count

Re: Weapon Specialization (Club)

Post by GoVols »

Some fellow wrote:Is taking Weapon Specialization (Club) with less than 4 Fighter levels considered a legitimate use of the game rules or an illegal exploit of a (clearly never-to-be-fixed) bug? I've read the server rules, and they deal mostly with exploiting server-side scripting and such, so I don't know what the take on this kind of thing is.
The requirements are weapon focus, fighter class, and BAB of +4. Are you saying your BAB isn't above 4? I don't believe you have to have more than 4 levels of fighter to get it, just meet the other requirements. What are you current classes and levels now?
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

The in-game description is wrong, GoVols (as is too often the case). Weapon Specialization indeed requires at least 4 Fighter levels, and can only be taken when leveling in Fighter. For some reason, Club is the only exception, requiring only 1 Fighter level (but still BAB 4 or higher, as per the description). This is considered a bug by most.

Weapon Specialization - NWNWiki
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

I'm actually thinking of making a char with focus on the club simply for the fact I found a club with +5 STR, +3DEX and some other bonuses. Probably gonna go with "Clubby 'The Club' McClubster" for a name. Still undecided as of yet.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Katar
Knight
Knight

Re: Weapon Specialization (Club)

Post by Katar »

GoVols wrote:
Some fellow wrote:Is taking Weapon Specialization (Club) with less than 4 Fighter levels considered a legitimate use of the game rules or an illegal exploit of a (clearly never-to-be-fixed) bug? I've read the server rules, and they deal mostly with exploiting server-side scripting and such, so I don't know what the take on this kind of thing is.
The requirements are weapon focus, fighter class, and BAB of +4. Are you saying your BAB isn't above 4? I don't believe you have to have more than 4 levels of fighter to get it, just meet the other requirements. What are you current classes and levels now?
He is asking specifically about the club because when NWN changed to not allow wpn spec without at least 4 ftr levels, the club was somehow overlooked in the change. You can take wpn spec club with just 1 ftr level not the 4 required by all other wpns. Some consider this an exploit so he is looking for the official BSK ruling :wink:
GoVols
Count
Count

Post by GoVols »

Some fellow wrote:The in-game description is wrong, GoVols (as is too often the case). Weapon Specialization indeed requires at least 4 Fighter levels, and can only be taken when leveling in Fighter. For some reason, Club is the only exception, requiring only 1 Fighter level (but still BAB 4 or higher, as per the description). This is considered a bug by most.

Weapon Specialization - NWNWiki
I was using old Grimoire for the description. I wouldn't use the in-game or manual for anything. :D I did remember on the Bioware forums something about the club and WS, but it's been forever since I went to those forums.

As far as server rules, many exploits are against server rules, especially when they give you extra bonuses, etc. I've never seen someone ask for this particular one though.

Can you also get EWS with the club without 4 fighter levels?
I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6.
Some fellow
Knight
Knight

Post by Some fellow »

GoVols wrote:Can you also get EWS with the club without 4 fighter levels?
Yes, and you can even take both with only one Fighter level if you take it on an epic regular feat level (say 24) and already have Epic Weapon Focus. Or if you take WS (Club) on Fighter 1 and then take EWS when leveling in Champion of Torm. (You can take EWS, but not WS, on COT levels.)
chbtartdat
Knight
Knight

Post by chbtartdat »

but...it's a club. Again...why? :P
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

chbtartdat wrote:but...it's a club. Again...why? :P
for slow painful death :?: :twisted:
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

*Looks around and chuckles*

Since none of the other DM's have replied, I guess I will...

If the only weapon that allows this error is a freaking club.... even if it is a uber forged up club....

Knock yourself out... ( pardon the pun! )

It do not think a club is worth DM effort to eagle eye characters over and I doubt Driller will bother scripting a unique fix to it unless he has time to waste and has already plucked the lint from his navel.

If we have a "ruling change" we will post it.... If Driller scripts a change, you will discover it in game.

Basically consider this the same as a sign at a pool with no lifeguard.

Your free to use it, but at your own risk.

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle