Unsed Area's or Area's You Don't Hunt In

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Unsed Area's or Area's You Don't Hunt In

Post by Capt Cliff »

What area's do you hunt in?
Kobald cave, the road, the enclave, the swamp, ruins of the temple, deep wood, long passage, southern wastes, mind flayer city and Umgahville.
Area's you don't hunt and why?
South central woods (just don't, gnolls are good), SW Central woods (not worth it), NW Central woods (enclave better), The other central woods areas (basically the same, enclave best). The central wasteland (too tough with archers and bandits with super slasher), western wastes (dragons too tough for the rewards, not worth the time), eastern wastes (again the combination of slashing abd bashing get's ya killed). The other waste area's require uber gear to survive.
The underdark ... most of my time is in umgahville ... some slek's and some drow ... I don't go down there because no forgies and therefore no uber gear.
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

I always enjoy getting the living crap out of me while taking a casual stroll through the Bloodcult Castle. Trust me on this. I would never tell a lie.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

Ettins, Ruins, Flayers, Umgah.

Who needs to fight elsewhere? :D

Driller did mention slimming the keep down a bit shortly.
Lunatic-High
Baron
Baron

Post by Lunatic-High »

When making a new character it goes something like this: undead on the road, ettins, swamp, ruins, maybe minotaurs and trolls (depending on the character), ants and then umgahs or sleestaks (also depending on the character).

Sometimes I just skip one or more of the above mentioned areas/monsters. So you don't need much else, really. :)
DM_Mystic
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM_Mystic »

Depends on your build, really. Any stealth-based char can romp on the bandits or minitaurs, and hole their own against many other types of monsters. While ranged weapon chars can own the farm against baddies like waste giants and scorps.

Those are just a few examples, but i could go on for days...

Two areas not mentioned, which were some of my fav's are the Secret Island (lvs 10 to about 17) and the Trite Cave (18 to about 24). Ask around in game, I'm sure someone can direct you. And don't go to either alone, if you can avoid it.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

DM_Mystic wrote: Secret Island (lvs 10 to about 17) .
that is fun or the bug bear shrine
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Ghost4life
Count
Count

Post by Ghost4life »

though these are the only areas you need to lvl, many of the other areas are fun to explore. I was very excited when I found out about the Kobold caves, they were fun to explore even though I took in my lvl 31 wizard to do it. So driller, keep up the good work!
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

For Melee builds: I start with the farms, BSK road, Ettins, Swamps, Ants, the Sleestak run, then Umgahs.

For Mage builds: Farms, BSK road, bughole, Ettins,Bi-Nous, Swamps, Tunnel of Love (long Passage), ants, Druids, Trites, the Sleestak run, Umgahs

Unused areas: A lot goes unused for my melee builds. As for my mages, I use a lot of areas. Some areas I use only for 1 or 2 lvls (just enough to get me up to the spells I need for the next area). Other areas, I grind out for a number of lvls. Though I generally try to avoid the bughole as much as possible. That may be the most hated area of the server for me. *mumbles to himself about that wretched wench of a queen*
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Qui Chang
Baron
Baron

Post by Qui Chang »

Hmm. Some areas I know I don't ever really use would be:
-several of the central woods surrounding areas like the ogrillions area, the trygs(treants), spider area, also spider cave near the shrine there. The hidden shore also in this general area.
-the emerald golem cave. Or crystal golems. sorry if i cant rember the names for sure. its right off the shadow minions.
-the ruins outer wall I think the one area is called that i never really go.
-Alot of the waste as well. Vaporhawks(only for the one feather quest or to run through to get to the prysmatic), actually most of the waste except ants and the occasional brigand or giants and scorpions.
-Alot of the underdark areas. I pretty much stick to the major areas just around the crossroads. Ilithids, drow, umgah, slees, beholders, demonic domain, etc..
-I'm still confused about the whole freefolk isle/ starkson thing. I know its based on people having different opinions about the rp or something along those lines but since they are somewhat similar and branched off each other or what not, it seems a bit redundant. Regardless I hardly ever step foot on either Island.
-And yes I know I shouldn't be saying this one but....SOM monastery. Not that I want this area completely gone. It just needs some change. :wink:

That's all I can think of right now. If I come up with some more I'll just edit this.
P.S. And it's not that these areas don't look nice or that I don't appreciate the work that went into them.
"When the student is ready.....the master appears" Old Zen Saying
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

Hmmm..

No matter the character class- areas I go to until about 7-10 are:
All the early quests.. and everything off BSK Road. Areas that I don't go to are the dark Forest areas (gnolls, orgrillions, trogs). However, if you don't do the early quests, those areas are great to start in. Once ready, the Orc fort and bugbears as well if I can handle it.. and right after the urn quest and all associated.

From 10th to about 17th- the main quest dungeons and the swamps. The secret isle if I can swing it. I also really, really like the Druids. Many deaths though- but challenging. Shadow minions are also great for pre-epic.

Once I go epic and depending on my class and gear.. many different areas to die in. I really don't have a favorite.. and some things I just can't do until I get the gear or great buffs. But giants, trolls, ants, seem to be the place to be- then after.. I start to get to the bandits, waste dragons, trites, underdark and still survive.

I mostly get pounded in the underdark though.. and I've been to every area. All great fun.
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
Rainsanctum
Knight
Knight

Post by Rainsanctum »

As some of u guys may know, i'm a quest fanatic, i'd prefer to finish all the quests first then go to some certain places to lvl or loot. when i'm doing quests, i never expect to get any nice loots or lvl fast, so i'd try to go through most of the playgrounds on bsk, sewer, mine, woods, black orc stronghold, frozen forests, swamp, marvale, ebonwoods, wastes. and i found most of them fun when i'm at a low lvl. when i finish all the quests in the keep, i'd go to the waste to try the quests there as well as hunting ants if i need more exp to continue the quests. and then, in the underdark, i can actually take a trip to most of its great parts when doing the quests in the waste. if i need exp to continue, i'd go to sleestak or umgah.

however,there're some places i seldom try by myself: wastelords in the far waste and stone warriors in the underdark. i only go there for the quest if not with a party. they have almost no loots but as some of ya know, the former immune to spells, the latter immune to physical damage. and i seldom go to the fortress in the frozenway cuz the loots in the chests are just...well, say, the most valuable stuff i got was a scroll of control monster. and almost never been to the cave in the woods( sorry canot remeber the detailed location) cuz there're lots of golems with massive knockdown skill. and another cave near the ruined temple, the golems in there are just easy even for a low lvled char.
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

I was hoping this post would help driller if he's doing any mod to the unused areas, buff them, add a new monster ... turn the Ant Queens guards lose in the southern waste! :P

From my initial post we all go to certain areas based on our gear build. This can be boring. Running around killing ants knowning you can be hurt. The Umgah mages really proved that point ... thru a monkey in the wrench! 8)
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

yes true ... change can be a good thing, but to much of it can be bad also.... all that i ask, please don't make a fun area into uber build only areas :( just be careful and listen to the players.... :)
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~