Enter the Lessers

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin woke up the next morning full of hope and cheer. He may have made a mistake the previous day, but he was determined to please Master Cairn with whatever task came his way.

He walked down to the tavern. The same people were there who had been there the prior night. Some had glassy, dazed eyes, hugging their ales close to their bodies. Some were sleeping, leaning back against their chairs. Still others banded together singing various drinking songs.

Beldin was pleased to see so many people happy. He picked up a mug that sat at an abandoned table and sniffed its contents. It smelled fruity/vinigary. There was a small amount at its bottom, and Beldin decided he would see if it increased his own happiness.

He drank the remaining mixture and swallowed quickly. His face turned a strange shade of green, and he began to cough. He was not expecting the particular taste, and instantly felt nauseous.

He walked over to a spitton in the corner and began to spit as much as possible. Small ringing tones were heard amongst the din of tavern chatter. Beldin finally shook his head, having been able to remove most of the taste through spitting and rubbing his tongue on his cloak.

He now had a dry mouth and started smacking in order to bring some sort of moistness back as he walked outdoors.

The bright morning sun was atypical for the keep. Small clouds hovered around in the sky, but there was mostly a clear blue backdrop to the morning, and Beldin began to smile and forget about his attempt for liquid happiness.

He walked toward the portal, taking a short skip every few feet. He hoped Master Cairn was still at his post. He was ready for a task!

As he got in view of the portal, he noticed his master was still there, and he stopped skipping every few feet and instead skipped the rest of the way.

He noticed that Master Cairn had a deep scowl on his face, and he wondered what was wrong with the merchant when he began speaking louder than he had ever spoken to the gnome. "BELDIN! Tell me you DIDN'T post those comments on the bulletin board!?!"

"But why would I do that Master Cairn? I did what you asked me to, and made sure everyone would know that you wanted other's help."

"Because, Beldin, I am now going to have to sell you to my good friend Luthur. Let him deal with your ineptitude."

"What does in-eptude mean?"

Cairn put his hands over his face and shook his head. "I can't deal with this stress. Beldin, go away!"

"Do you have a task for me, Master Cairn?" His eyes widened in hope.

"NO! Just go!"

Beldin bowed. "Okay, Master Cairn. Just let me know! I'll be around."

Beldin walked away, but did not skip this time. He wondered what he had done wrong. Maybe it was his breath. He was sure it smelled bad after that drink. He walked to the great oak and sat on a bench, dangling his short gnome legs.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The oak was a popular place for folks to gather. Why that was, Beldin wasn't quite sure. He didn't really understand the allure of trees. Elves seemed to love the things, which was strange because they also liked to turn them into bows and arrows. Come to think of it, Beldin thought to himself, it's amazing there are any trees left with all those elves and bows and arrows. Not to mention shields and benches.

He looked down at the bench he was sitting on and started to wonder if it was made from the tree itself. He looked up and noticed a few places where the tree had been pruned and began to frown. Perhaps he was really sitting on a branch, not a bench. After all, the two words were similar.

As he contemplated the tree dilemma, two humanoid creatures ran buy. Both had large wings growing out of their backs and Beldin's attention was instantly refocused on their rapidly retreating forms.

Flying! Now that would be wonderful. Truly wonderful. Maybe that's what a tree could be used for? Could he make wings out of a tree? Maybe he'd have to use leaves as well?

He hopped up, standing on the bench. He began to jump up and study how fast he fell. He was suddenly struck by an idea. An idea so wonderful that he knew he had to tell someone about it.

Who better than Master Cairn?

Somewhere deep inside himself, Beldin knew that Cairn didn't want to talk with him for some reason, but he couldn't for the life of him remember why. So he jumped off the bench and ran over to the dark merchant, who was discussing something with a black-robed man.

Beldin began to make small gestures with his hands and feet. He knew that he shouldn't disturb Master Cairn but he really needed to tell him the IDEA.

"I think that arrangement would be just fine, Mr. Cairn," the dark robed man stated. "That ruby I gave you will make an excellent amulet. And what do you have here, Mr. Cairn? A new customer."

Cairn turned and saw Beldin and frowned deeply. "Not a customer, Mr. Luthur, my new manservant who is obviously wanting to be sold into a mining corporation."

The man named Mr. Luthur chuckled and pulled his hood back slightly and looked at the gnome. "Pardon me asking, Mr. Cairn, but *is* the gnome for sale?"

Cairn hesitated slightly. "No, he is not at this time, Mr. Luthur. But if he crosses me once more, he may just be on the market."

"Very well, Mr. Cairn," Luthur bowed. "Keep me informed, and I look forward to the results of such a master craftsman."

Luthur turned and walked away as Cairn pulled a small book out of one of his pockets. "Beldin, I am not going to punish you just now for interrupting me again. But if you do not fulfill this task satisfactorily, you will find yourself with Luthur as a master."

Beldin wasn't sure what that meant, but didn't wait for Cairn to continue. "Oh, oh, oh, Master Cairn!" He shot up one of his hands and jumped up into the air. He then decided that wasn't enough and put his other hand up as well.

Cairn sighed and shook his head. "Yes, Beldin. Say what you need to say because I get the feeling NOTHING will happen until you do so."
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin stopped jumping and waving for a moment and closed his eyes so he could remember what he wanted to say. He stood there for a moment, not moving until it came to him.

"Master Cairn, I have an idea for a flying machine! It would be great, and I could design it just for you!"

Cairn shook his head and rolled his eyes. "Fine, Beldin. Make a flying machine, but do it on your spare time. Right now I have a task for you."

The gnome was so excited he could hardly contain himself. He worked hard to focus so that he could hear his next task and start planning the flying machine. But instead of words, Cairn held out the small pad of paper and a quill pen with a long colorful feather.

"Now, write this ALL down, Beldin. I don't want you to forget anything," Beldin took the pad of paper and pen and was so happy to receive such a grand gift that tears formed in his eyes, but he prepared himself to write out Cairn's instructions. "I need you to find the leader of the Starksons. A queen by the name of Chiffawn."

Beldin wrote and muttered out his words at the same time in a low voice. "Find leader Starksons queen Chiffawn..."

"Got it all there? Okay, moving on. When you find her, tell her I have a business proposition for her and that she should seek me out in my usual place."

"Got... it... okay move on... find her... business proposition... seek me out... usual place..." Beldin looked up from his paper and smiled. "I think I got it all, Master Cairn. Is there anything else I should write down?"

Cairn shook his head again and grunted. "Don't forget to write down a reminder to finish that flying machine," he lowered his voice to a small whisper that Beldin could barely hear. "...you twit..."
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin bowed to Cairn and rushed away. He saw a group of people congregating around the great oak. He thought for a moment that he would ask them about the bench and if they knew if it was one of the branches or not, but then he remembered his quest.

"Excuse me, excuse me!" He raised his hand and the three people gathered turned to him. "Have any of you seen the sovereign of Starkson? I know it's kind of a funny title and all, but I really need to find her somewhere. Are any of you the sovereign of Starkson? If that's the case, that sure would be nice, then I could get back to thinking about how to make my flying machine."

The three looked at him with mixtures of amusement, confusion and shock. One of the people, a blond elf maiden smiled. "No, I am sorry, none of us is the Sovereign. But she's around the tree on occasion. You should be able to find her if you look hard enough."

Beldin frowned, but then smiled just as quickly. "Okay. Well, thanks anyway, pretty elf! If you see her, let her know that I'm looking for her!"

He jogged off in the direction of the docks, not sure where or why he was running, then he realized that he had forgotten something. He turned and sprinted back to the gathering. He was panting lightly as he said, "Oh, I'm Beldin, Beldin Porfeneld, by the way if any one asks who's looking for her and needs to find me."

He ran a different direction this time as he left the three citizens. This time he headed toward a door with a sign above. It said "Kalus's Emporium" and he thought maybe it might be where a Sovereign might hide. He threw open the door and ran inside at a huff.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

A bored looking merchant sat on a stool behind a counter, sewing with needle and cloth in hand. He was dressed in colorful and stylish clothing, and racks on either side of the shop were covered in bolts of leather and cloth and various colorful flasks. He looked up as Beldin came in.

"Good afternoon, gnome friend. How may I assist you today?"

"I'm not sure what an Emporium does, but do you have any idea where I might find a sovereign?"

The man laughed. "No I do not, although I could help you dress like one," The mad eyed Beldin's ragtag collection of metal armor and frowned. "I am Kalus owner of the emporium. Here I assist people in making sure they can fit in the finest of fashions and also assist in crafting armor and weapons to fit into proper guild form."

"Oh that sounds lovely," Beldin made an 'oooooo' sound with rounded lips as he noticed a series of parasols in a crate nearby the counter. "What are these?"

"Those are parasols, friend gnome. They keep the sun off of you on the rare occasion when the clouds part. They can be a great help in keeping the rain off of your clothes and out of your hair as well, not to mention keep that metal from rusting off of your shoulders. What was your name again?"

"Oh, I'm sorry! I always forget my manners even though Master Cairn wants me to keep them up at all times! That is after all what a proper gnomeservant should do," He smacked himself in the forehead, then formed a puzzled look. "What was I trying to remember again?"

The man shook his head and stifled a chuckle. "You must be Beldin. Mr. Cairn said you may be by. We have a deal worked out to make sure his servants receive proper attire."

"Oh! Beldin! That reminds me, MY name is Beldin, Beldin Porfeneld!"

"Yes, yes. Now come here for a moment..." Kalus put down his cloth he had been sewing and walked over to a turquoise bolt of cloth and held it out beside the gnome. When Beldin reached out to touch it, he deftly pulled it out of reach again.

"I think this is the proper color. Mr. Cairn is very particular about his dress code. Black and dark turquoise. I will also need to properly dye your armor, so if you would remove it for me and place it on the table there, I will make sure you have a cloak that matches the rest of your attire."

Beldin began unfastening his breastplate and tried to remember what he needed to do. As he took off the heavy metal, a pad of paper fell to the floor. Beldin brightened and picked up the small book. "I wonder what this is?" He opened it and noticed in fine gnomish fashion that his quest was to find the sovereign. "Oh yeah! I wrote that!" He looked at it more closely. "And I have such good writing!"

"Kalus, sir, can I leave the armor with you? I'm in a bit of a hurry."

"But of course, Beldin, I shall have this armor in top shape by the end of the day. If you're looking for a sovereign, perhaps you should go to town hall and see if the mayor knows of anyone fitting that description."

Beldin was overjoyed! A clue! AND new clothing. Today was his lucky day! He stuffed the notepad into a small belt pouch and skipped out the door.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin ran outside into a pouring rainstorm. Instantly soaked, the cheerful gnome was hard pressed to continue to be excited about his clue. He took a few steps away from the emporium and then saw a brightly dressed man with leathery wings walking casually down the cobblestone.

Beldin began to wonder about his wings and how high he had ever flown when he noticed the man wasn't wet. His observation of that fact led his eyes toward the strange disc he held above his head.

"Excuse me, sir, what is that thing?" Beldin's nose was a natural gutter for the rainwater. His felt cap was soaked and the feather he kept stowed in its folds drooped heavily behind the hat. The man stared at the gnome and knit his eyebrows together.

"What is what?"

"That yellow disc above your head? It's keeping the rain away!"

The man looked up and shook his head. "Don't you know what a parasol is, gnome? I thought your race had more smarts than that."

The man walked away without saying goodbye and Beldin began to think. Parasol. Where had he heard that word before...

He snapped his fingers. Since his hands were wet, the snap turned into a dull squeak of wet prune fingers being forced together. He turned back the Kalus's emporium and ran back inside.

Kalus was mixing two colorful liquids in a bowl and had Beldin's armor sitting on a table to one side.

"Excuse me, again, but you have parasols for sale?"

Kalus looked at the growing pool of water under the gnome and pointed again at the small barrel that held a number of the colorful umbrellas. "Go on and take one with my compliments, small one. EVERYone in this keep should have one handy with the weather we get around here."

Beldin clapped with joy and chose a yellow one with white lacy fabric around the edge. "Thank you, Sir Kalus, you are quite kind!"

Kalus nodded and returned to his work as Beldin opened the parasol, tried to open the door, which shut again as the device popped open on it, then Beldin turned, the open parasol in front of him and tried to open the door while walking backwards. The door handle eluded him and he ended up grappling with a door hinge before noticing it wasn't a door handle.

Then he slipped on the floormat, almost poking his eye out with one of the pointed ends of the umbrella.

Kalus, taking pity on the gnome walked over and held open the door for him. Beldin giggled and went to walk out the door, but the umbrella was too large for the entry way and he tried pushing the open parasol out in front of him. Eventually the thing closed and Beldin rolled outside.

Kalus casually closed the door, shook his head and again returned to his work.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin rushed down the lane, and occasionally his parasol would turn inside out causing him to stop alongside the walkway and reform it to a usable shape.

As he neared the city hall, a large gust of wind and rain hit the gnome and his umbrella and lifted the two up into the air for about three seconds. After the initial shock, Beldin started laughing uncontrollably.

He jumped up in the air, holding the parasol as high as he could and noticed that he drifted down more slowly, but the gusts of wind did not take him away again.

As he twirled the yellow umbrella in the air, his twirling coincided with another quick gust of wind, tearing the umbrella from his hands.

He gaped as it flew up into the air, higher than the keep's walls, and landed in a tree out in the nearby hamlet.

He snapped his fingers, again making a wet smacking sound as the rain had soaked him to the bone. "I've found my flying machine!" Beldin danced a small jig and then skipped to the city hall and walked through its stately doors.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

The inside of the state building was warm and nicely decorated. There was a large round blue carpet underneath a granite dome, and Beldin gravitated to it, dripping all the way.

"Hey, you!" a guard in an adjoining room scowled at the small, wet gnome. "Get yer wet arse offa tha carpet! Yer gonna ruin it, and that'd make the mayor a mite bit unhappy."

Beldin leaped off the carpet as if shocked by an electrical current. He managed to hang his head. The guard got the distinct impression that he had kicked a dog and felt slightly guilty. "Well, what's yer business here, gnome?"

Beldin looked up, and the parts of his bangs that were not covered by his cap dripped water on his eyes and down his nose, making it look like his entire face was crying. "Well, I, um, er, was looking for, um," he stopped for a moment and started counting his fingers. "I can't remember after the time I flew, but... OH!" he pulled his notebook out and flipped it open. Amazingly the item was not too terribly damp. "I'm looking for the Sovereign of Starkson!"

The guard pointed down a hall. "She's down the hall, meeting with warriors in the library. There's some sort of danger threatening the keep or something like that."

Beldin hopped, ran over to the guard and began shaking his hand. "Thank you, thank you, thank you sir!" the guard pulled his hand away and wiped it on his cloak before turning back to lean against the wall.

Beldin started to run down the hall and slipped on a puddle created by his wet clothing, but quickly recovered and made a wet pitter pattering sound down the marble floored hall.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin entered a room that was covered in a warm carpet which was surrounded by eight or ten people milling about. They each appeared to be talking in hushed tones, and Beldin was more interested in the warm carpet than the whispering.

He would have considered lying down and drying off on the rug if it had not been for a tall man who noticed him standing there looking at the floor.

"Hello there, small one," He had a warm smile that made Beldin feel an instant sense of comfort. "Can I help you?"

"Yes! Is the sovereign here?"

"Oh, you must mean Lady Fawn?"

A female elf looked up from a conversation she had been having, glancing over at Beldin and the tall man. "Yes, Eric?"

"There's a gnome here who seems to be looking for you?"

She walked over. Dressed in greenish tones, the slim elf was quite striking, and Beldin was smitten. He could feel himself blushing heavily.

"I am Lady Fawn, Sovereign of Starkson," she looked quizzically at the blushing wet gnome. "We're a bit busy here right now, how can I assist you?"

Beldin was so happy to have completed his quest he hopped up and down as he began his request. "My master, Master Carin asked me to ask you to ask if you could perhaps meet him for a meeting of some sort that I'll have to look up on my notes what it was for?"

She squinted at him as the tall man laughed slightly and spoke. "I'm not sure we have time for this milady. The jackal could attack any moment."

Beldin was intrigued by the idea of a jackal. He wasn't sure what one was, but the fact that it could attack seemed like quite a concern, and one he should be interested in solving. "Master Cairn said he could meet with you regarding some matter."

"Yes, yes. As I said, sir gnome, I am a bit busy right now, but I'll be by to see Mr. Cairn when I have some more free time," she turned to the man she had been speaking with before and returned to her prior discussion. "So, it seems to be leaving the children alone, then?"

Beldin was interested in staying, but was too excited to finish his quest. Perhaps Master cairn would be willing to let him come back after he finished delivering the message? He turned and scampered from the town hall, whistling a slight tune as he returned to the wet streets.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Fortunately for the soggy gnome, the rain had stopped when he walked back outside. He barely noticed as he ran quickly down the streets, hoping that Master Cairn was waiting at the portal as he often did.

Sure enough, he was standing in his usual place. As he saw Beldin coming, he frowned deeply, held out his hand and hissed at Beldin. "Slow down, you silly git! No manservant of mine is going to make a spectacle of himself in the keep. I've got an image to uphold, after all. Walk, don't run, and keep that sword you've got there sheathed. Too many people don't have any sense of manners around here."

Beldin's eyes drooped to the flagstones at his feet as Mr. Cairn continued. "And what is the idea of running around in such ridiculous attire? I thought I told you to go see Kalus's wares."

Beldin jumped slightly. " I did, I did, Master Cairn. He is working on my armor right now!"

"Gah! Then why are you coming to talk to me like this?!? Go and get yourself properly clothed first!"

"Yes, Master Cairn, I'll go right away!" Beldin jumped once more and began to run toward the shop, heard Mr. Cairn clearing his throat, then began to walk rapidly down the cobblestone road.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Beldin ran into the clothiers, tripping on the door stop and manging to roll into the room. Kalus looked up from Beldin's armor. "Ah, back just in time, I see! Well, come over and I'll get your armor fitted properly."

Beldin was thinking about his unexpected somersault and was wondering if it would be possible to do on purpose sometime, but kept his thoughts to himself and walked up to Kalus's work bench.

The armor he had left was now a brilliant shade of turquoise with black trim. Kalus had also dyed his cloak to match and had crafted a soft black skirt to the belt of the armor with a bamboo pattern to it.

Beldin's eyes widened. "This is stupendous," the gnome shouted. "I've never seen such wonderful work!" he lovingly felt the hard metal and the soft silk fabric of the skirt. "But what did you put a skirt on this for?"

Kalus laughed. "I had some extra fabric lying around from a kimono I just stitched. I thought it'd make a very nice fashion statement. There are so many people about the keep with no sense of style. Ahmad Cairn is one of the few who appreciates a good set of properly fashioned clothing. I thought you could also wear this and advertise to all the ladies of the keep how fine Kalus's dresses can be!"

Beldin beamed, and started to put the armor on. As Kalus helped him, he looked toward the barrel of parasols. "Do you think I could have a few of those? You know, for research?"

Kalus nodded, a pin in his mouth as he finished adding a final touch to Beldin's armor. The gnome giggled as he remembered his short flight with the wind gust. Maybe the wind would continue and he could try a few of them out! Maybe he could try getting on top of one of the buildings to see if he could gracefully float down and try one of those little somersaults!

Kalus finished his work and stood back, looking at Beldin. "Ah, there we are. Perfect."