Arena etiquette

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Katar
Knight
Knight

Arena etiquette

Post by Katar »

I want to start playing around in the arena eventually and wanted to clear up the rules 1st. I read an old post here that said clerics are not supposed to use any heal spells, harm, gs, or implosion. It said Mages could not use timestop, gs, bigby's, etc. Is this still the case and do people abide by the limits? Are there any other OOC rules I need to know before entering? I want to make sure I don't break any rules of honor.
Carpe_DM1
Count
Count

Post by Carpe_DM1 »

Those are standard agreements upon fights in the arena, however some like to add a bit of risk with those spells. It is best to just set the rules of your duel right before it just to make sure both sides know. Standard ones are no timestop, harm, heal, gs, or implosions. (too easy to spam them as that is what many can do) It encourages using your head and trying other things out.
"Common sense is not so common" -Voltaire
"I thought to myself 'Why doesn't someone do something about that?' ...And then I realized I'm someone" - Lily Tomlin (when commenting on the environment and other tragic circumstances)
EliotRey
Baron
Baron

Post by EliotRey »

Speaking of Implosion... Is there any spell or protection against that?!? It's not counted as death magic I know, so aside from just having high fort saves and praying you don't roll a one... What do you do?
There is a difference between knowing the path, and walking the path.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Get one of those d20 without a 1.
EliotRey
Baron
Baron

Post by EliotRey »

Ha! I'm over here trying to rub the 1 of mine as we speak! :P
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

EliotRey wrote:Ha! I'm over here trying to rub the 1 of mine as we speak! :P
Oh that just won't work... A DM is bound to see it.

But no, I think that a fort save is the only way to avoid implosion. That's why people avoid mindflayers. No matter HOW powerful you are, you are never immune to rolling a 1. If it were a will save, then rogues and SDs would be set with the slippery mind feat!
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

Nothing you can do on BSK about it, unless some item becomes available that gives you immunity to implosion spell itself. Which is highly unlikely to ever happen, so your stuck with the same as the rest of us.

Personally I roll way too many "ones" I deplore the very poor random number generator bioware uses for NWN where I have rolled a "one" six times on the bounce and one time I rolled it eight times on the bounce fortunately that was my character in melee against a troll if I remember correctly.

So spending a lot of time in the mindflayer city you'll get caught out sooner or later to bad luck, more likely sooner if your luck is poor.
EliotRey
Baron
Baron

Post by EliotRey »

Yes, my level 40 monk/SD had an interesting time in the Mindflayers city for just that reason, and my level 18 monk had that same problem with Loknar the Insane. Ah well, such is life... or death, as it were! :P
dmcclain
Count
Count

Post by dmcclain »

This might be a dumb statement/question but its still kinda keeping with the thread. My level 18 cleric imploded a minotaur yesterday and for the love of pete, I don't know how. Was it a fluke? or was it something I did?
"People in Icewater want Hell!"

~Harley Quinn, Batman Hush
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

dmcclain wrote:This might be a dumb statement/question but its still kinda keeping with the thread. My level 18 cleric imploded a minotaur yesterday and for the love of pete, I don't know how. Was it a fluke? or was it something I did?
by an act of Eon, herself...

//sometimes one does get very lucky
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

A weapon or armor or item effect? There are a number of on hit items... Having implosion as an OH would be pretty darn cool! Even with a low DC.
EliotRey
Baron
Baron

Post by EliotRey »

And as a point of clarification, seeing as how my level 17 monk was with your level 18 cleric at the time :)... You did not "implode" that minotaur, you slayed him with slay living. Implosion is very distinct in that there is an expanding field of negative energy (reminiscent of a black hole) that opens beneath your character when it's cast on you, and if you fail your saving throw the next thing you hear is the thud of your corpse hitting the ground!

Toodles!! :P
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

this item so uber that you will never see it in game

a weapon of death... "on hit with Implosion" in a hands super buff wm

do or die or die or die.... :twisted:
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

A spell resistance score higher than the enemy's caster level + 20 makes for an effective defense against Implosion.
The only constant is change.
Queen Naga II
Duke
Duke

Post by Queen Naga II »

I have a monk with 48SR and still get caught on a roll of "one".