New Umagh's mages

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Do you like them?

I don't care either way
17%
Hades NO!! Just get rid of them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7%
Good work Diller!! (yes i do like them in the main area)
50%
Yes I do like them, but they should be moved into an extended temple area
27%

Total votes: 30

Dan8145
Duke
Duke

Post by Dan8145 »

I agree...like the change or lump it hun...you have no choice
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

viobane wrote: Woah, K9! No need to attack. .
lol ,, after all i am a k9 :) no offest intended, I am just pointing out that you do more rp then building.... I hope you are right that driller has new areas in mind that 40's can mine. I am just upset and sadden that my favorite area was taken away from me. I have tried very hard to make a build jsut for mine down there. I have build 6 different builds for that purpose and I have only one char that can do it ... That is alot of hours in leveling/research and getting gold needed to fudn such a project. I really don't want to spend that much time and money again to make more builds for mineing, but if I have to.. i have not option. It is just frasutaning that is all :evil:
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Rainsanctum
Knight
Knight

Post by Rainsanctum »

to Queen Naga II's reply:

1.they have true seeing yes, but are they always in detect mode?(i never tried a sneaker build here, so if yes then i'm wrong. suppose they have 40 lvls altogether as a mage/cleric/rogue , ther spot is 40+50=90. but i know some sneakers here have more than 90 or 100 hide and move silently here. it's just a spot vs. 1d20+hide. btw, these mages' caster lvl isnot high, none of their non-epic spells(both mage and cleric spells) can hurt me even with my only 33sr.so they couldnot have very high lvls altogether)

2.use call shot after curse song.

3. a dex-based monk can have very high ab as fighters.

4.as for their epic spells, only epic ruin hurt me cuz i'm a pm. epic helball does less than 10 damage to me if i donot roll 1 on reflex. if u have each of the 4 types of energy resistance, hellball canot hurt much(10d6 on each energy damage it is. if a fireball(10d6 fire) canot damage ya much(without evasion feats),then how can other energy type damage ya much.). besides, it's easy to gain 10 damage resistance on each of the 5 energy type here on bsk. discover them by urself then.)no energy buffer is needed.
ps:epic hellball is a very slow spell, u have enough time to draw the ball away from ur party member if u can run fast.

5.so if epic hell canot hurt much, with sr, only greater ruin hurts. but it can only target one of ur party. so why canot bards get close to the mages. as for clerics, i donot think the mages can even see him with greater sanctuary. just go and heal the party. u can harm the mages as well if they heal themsevles.

ps:sorry if i spoiled the fun, but i just think it's a nice chance to have some awesome partywork, not giving up the chance driller offers to us. ok,the final suggestion, bring Dan with ya if ya want to make ur fighting the mages easier and more fun. hahahahaah......come on, dan.
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

Rainsanctum wrote: ps:sorry if i spoiled the fun, but i just think it's a nice chance to have some awesome partywork, not giving up the chance driller offers to us. ok,the final suggestion, bring Dan with ya if ya want to make ur fighting the mages easier and more fun. hahahahaah......come on, dan.
I am glad u are having fun with them ... we are not ... but thanks for the tips. Parties are good and such,, the trouble with them other poeple must be on.. that is not always true... therefore we need an area we solo in as well
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Rainsanctum
Knight
Knight

Post by Rainsanctum »

k9mouse wrote:
Rainsanctum wrote: ps:sorry if i spoiled the fun, but i just think it's a nice chance to have some awesome partywork, not giving up the chance driller offers to us. ok,the final suggestion, bring Dan with ya if ya want to make ur fighting the mages easier and more fun. hahahahaah......come on, dan.
I am glad u are having fun with them ... we are not ... but thanks for the tips. Parties are good and such,, the trouble with them other poeple must be on.. that is not always true... therefore we need an area we solo in as well
all u said is right, actually what i mean is since there're already mages in nethriss, we can try to make ourselves survive and fight there if u really want that challenge. i think driller will change nethriss and those mages to make it a better place to adventure in. so all we can do is giving ur own suggestions here for driller to better nethriss. they're indeed kinda imposible to fight, right, especially those silenced and quicken spells and high ac. personally i think there did lack some epic areas on bsk to play in. maybe these mages can help on this, or maybe they canot. it all needs tests. so i just hope my suggestions can provide some ideas on both the tests and building. it's true that nethriss is no longer a place to solo now, and it's not easy to find a party of people either.but there're actually many other places in the underdark. as for me, when solo i'd prefer azrul' domain or doom dungeon.

maybe nethriss has already for a long time given us all a strong impression that it's one of the only places to loot at lvl 30+. or driller just wanna change this impression so he made these mages. it's just my guess, anyway, try differernt places cuz i donot think all of us have been to everywhere in the underdark. however, my suggestion is maybe there can be as nice loots as nethriss too in somewhere else in the underdark. i think this might help draw players' attention to other places than nethriss and leave nethriss an epic area for those who're kinda bored of playing their maxed-lvled chars.
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

I happen to enjoy the challenge (with my PCs)... They are very challenging, but I find that you just kill the mages quick. As Dan said above, there's ways to get past things, and the faster a mage goes down the less damage it can do.

I have no doubt that plenty will learn (As they have with ants, and waste dragons, and umgah, and everyplace else that has turned into a mining zone) how to taylor their characters and gear and such to be able to handle themselves down there.

I find it to be challenging, yes. But I also run around down there (as a player usually) and I see others down there going at it just fine.

Do they get hurt? Yup. So do I.

Do they give up? Only if they're getting their arse handed to them. (as they should in that case)

Many embrace challenge. But there will forever be those who do not like the change in the status quo.

All in all, I think it's nice now. There's fewer people running around down there. :twisted:

There's my two cents! Good job driller!
~Demitri
" The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. " ~Dorthy Nevill
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Just a curious thought...
Since when was it a server obligation to provide areas to mine/loot so that PC's could get rich?

Another curious thought....
Since when was it a server obligation to leave things alone once players have figured out a formula to run through it with ease?

Yet another curious idea...
Who wrote the rule that NPC's are not allowed to develop defenses against the PC's who invade the homes/settlements of NPC's? Are NPC's required not to rally a defense against unwelcome PC's who raid and pillage?

After all.... How often have the Umgah posed a danger to anyone? What reason do PC's have to validate the constant invasion against an underdark society that only has one known law: "Only Umgah are allowed inside Netheriss."

Don't the Ungah have the right to police thier own homes?
How would you feel if Umgah decided to pillage/loot/mine surface cities?

Aside from being xenophobic (Can you blame them?) what is it you people have against Umgah and thier desire to protect thier own city?!

Myle
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

LOL! Well said, Myle! :lol:
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Valnir. Watch the language and keep the politics in the Open Forum.

-driller
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Why aren't there any underdark race merchants on the surface? .. Maybe because merchants find it easier to do business with the races they are familar with...

They do not redirect the portal because they can't. Part of the history of the portals is that they exist from a previous age and even Foxmore and Akon have not cracked the magics used in thier creation.

The fact that you can make gold by invading the Umgah does not mean that you are justified to do so. By your reasoning, the Umgah should be able to raid the surface and claim "economic oppurtunity" and the paladins should give them a pass.

The mining you refer to is done by harvesting resources from the walls of tunnels dug into the groud... The Mining mentioned prior is a online term that means the same as farming or swatting or basically standing around waiting for respawn so the slaughter and looting can continue.

Actual Mining does not take place within the living space of a people.. Even the dwarves do not mine out their own living space.

Myle

((edit .. Driller deleted his post before I could reply and edit it... But I leave my answers to his whinning in the interest of hopefully answering such silliness before it is asked.))
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

ST_DM_Myle wrote:Just a curious thought...
Since when was it a server obligation to provide areas to mine/loot so that PC's could get rich?
Under the general rules, it reads as follows:

“Styles of play

There are many styles of play and BSK is designed to promote each in a unique and generally balanced way.

Be your preferred style of play one of role-play, arena, hack-n-slash, solo-adventure, or a mixture of them set to your own taste, each has its own support and place on BSK.â€
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The Umgah mages are here to stay. I might adjust their spawn rate, but that is about it.

-driller
k9mouse
Duke
Duke

Post by k9mouse »

driller wrote:The Umgah mages are here to stay. I might adjust their spawn rate, but that is about it.

-driller
Ok.. np may i ask if they can be moved to an extended temple area? In that, we can have our cake and eat it too or another way of saying it, we can have the best of both worlds: one area with mages and one area without them.
.Stinky Pete.
Baron
Baron

Post by .Stinky Pete. »

Thank you driller for 2 things.

1 Convincing the green, rubbery trolls to move back in. Stinky Pete was getting nostalgic for the old days

2 Adding the mages to Nethriss. AFK in the Keep is one thing but to hear that people are AFK in Nethriss ... abominable. The only excitement I have had for a while was in the drops. I welcome the challenge.

The only real issue I have is near the portal and Crossroads. When people get overwhelmed, they make a break for it to those places. That leads to eposides of HUGE numbers of angry umgah near places we enter Nethriss. Is there anything that can be done about that? Maybe send them to neutral corners or something? I understand that we are the trespassers down there and all but...
DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

K9 i hope im not stepping on drillers toes here..but does the answer No ring a bell..

the umgah mages from what ive observed have developed a nice party style expedition and it is amusing to see many many players adopt a new style in combating these little horrors...

As for harvesting loot and the get rich quick option it might now take you a little longer than anticipated 8)
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard