New Umagh's mages

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Do you like them?

I don't care either way
17%
Hades NO!! Just get rid of them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7%
Good work Diller!! (yes i do like them in the main area)
50%
Yes I do like them, but they should be moved into an extended temple area
27%

Total votes: 30

k9mouse
Duke
Duke

New Umagh's mages

Post by k9mouse »

I think we should do one of the two things:

Just get rid of the mages in mian area of the city (this is the upmost importian, please please.. they make a fun area in a dumb area)

OR

Put them into an extended temple area for those who like challeges and are in mood. After a hard stressfull day, i don't want to waste my time being dead every 5.3 seconds and I am not always in the mood for a challege, just need monsters to beat up for a while. Killing them makes my stress level go down alot. I do however want to hunt there.
~=% Run from your nightmares, chase after your dreams, but in the end ... they both come to you in sleep %=~
Valnir
Count
Count

Post by Valnir »

Well they are fun and they bring back memories of a hardcore server i played on.

Manshoon with dozens of greater ruins and a small elite guard kicking the shit out of me. Always lost my Character permenatly in that area.

Ok these new Umgah mages are tough and pack a real hard punch. The archers are the only one that can really damage there before. The mages shew through my 800+ hp with ease.

The problem i have with them is that i can barely hit them at all, takes ages. And when i crit enough to damage them they heal up. Very nice. But my shifter can't use a forged weapon with +20 ab forged on it. Some nasty bioware bug/limitation thing for shifters.

So either give them less AC or no heals or move them over to a special area.
Or make it so that my shifter can use items/spells/and those nice +20 forged weapons.
Valnir Raven

DM Dragonheart
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by DM Dragonheart »

Makes me laugh what some folks want....Driller adds a few things and then ya whine about how hard they are...remember team work guys..it isnt hard...

Get a Group together and have fun....adventuring isnt just a solo project .it can be made fun when in a party too..

Driller doesnt have to add new things to make it more opf a challenge to players ..he could just leave things as they are and do other things with his spare time

I say good work Driller ..keep it up im happy with the weay things are 8)
And they came from out of the mists... the hordes of undead

Nothing stood in the wake of their path and the carnage and destruction was insurmountable.

Quinon guye captain 7th Guard
Valnir
Count
Count

Post by Valnir »

Ok good work driller. Keep up the good work.

When do the sleestaks get their mages?

But it is anoying and totally not worth the effort. I rather kill some other umgahs, sneak out, heal up and go back in then to fight the mages.
And i don't think that is the change he had in mind.

The time it takes to kill one mage i already got 3 or 4 others killed. Maybe even more. so i got to chose between one nut case that gives me 450 exp or 3 to 4 others that give me near 1600 exp.
Valnir Raven

Rainsanctum
Knight
Knight

Post by Rainsanctum »

Well, i think every one has his/her own taste, so it's actually hard to make everyone satisfied with every change. hmm.. now that they're already there, why not come and think of some ways to kick their asses rather than hide from them :lol: it's fun,isnot it? but had better bring a party to go. solo?....well, it's not that hard unless u fight like 2 or 3 or more of these mages. since driller has changed their number and spawn rate, ur more likely to face only 1 of them, not a crazy crowd of them like yesterday( :lol: that was absolutely a mess, i couldnot even move stucking in them)

They have weakness too if u tried some tactics on them. so if u like solo, i suggest bringing some greater sanctuary and heal scrolls with u(reading scrolls canot be disrupted) and try ur own tactics on them.(hey, they're so kind that they donot even try to bigby or give ya a timestop,missle storm when u meet each other for the first time). have fun 8) .

As for shifters, Drow Warrior, Lizardfolk Whipmaster, Kobold Commando and even Risen Lord all can merge their main-handed weapon into their shaped form though the anient dragon shapes can only merge armor.( once ur weapon is buffed and then u use shape change, the buffs canot even be dispelled until it expires. it is counted as a permanent ability)
Valnir
Count
Count

Post by Valnir »

Yeah well.

Seeing as i play shifters i would know a thing or two about this.
so if u like solo, i suggest bringing some greater sanctuary and heal scrolls with u(reading scrolls canot be disrupted) and try ur own tactics on them.(hey, they're so kind that they donot even try to bigby or give ya a timestop,missle storm when u meet each other for the first time).
Unless you take a third class who can use scrolls or has umd this isn't an option.
As for shifters, Drow Warrior, Lizardfolk Whipmaster, Kobold Commando and even Risen Lord all can merge their main-handed weapon into their shaped form though the anient dragon shapes can only merge armor.( once ur weapon is buffed and then u use shape change, the buffs canot even be dispelled until it expires. it is counted as a permanent ability)
This is more or less true, but you would need a third party for that. Most shifters can't buff up their weapons. 1 they don't have he spells for it and 2 they would need a class that could use scrolls or cast the spells.

Further more once shifted they can not cast any more spells or use scrolls, so healing up isn't an option. Risen lord is the power in the city but using potions isn't an option, unless you want to comite suicide.

Also the very cool forged weapons don't merge completly. Sure keen and massive crits work, also the socket stones do. But the main problem every shifter has is a buffed up ab. My risen lord form gets a self buffed ab of around 45 with 4 attacks. The very nice +20 ab bunus that can be gotten from a forged weapon does not merge. Even the +10 enchantment bonus does not merge, it does give the extra +10 damage but not the +10 to ab. It is one of the limitations of the game i gues.

Vamperic regen and regen doesn't save you from all those saved greater ruins, they still do around 60+ damage. I don't care much of the rest of the spells. Just the sheer amount of epic spells is a bit... well i want them too. Thats it... i want the option to use as much epic spells as they do with mine mystic theurge.
Valnir Raven

Rainsanctum
Knight
Knight

Post by Rainsanctum »

1.druid/shifter can use heal and harm scrolls though not greater sanctuary scrolls(not when ur shapechanged). druids donot have spells to make them invisible, instead they have some spells to make them better to hide themselves. so i suggest using Kobold Commando form's hide in plain sight. cuz i donot think the mages have such high spot. so this can be the way to make u survive in a bad situation.

2.duirds donot have spells to enchance their weapon, that's why i suggest party work. but they can still use wands.

3.if u want to get harmed in lich form, party work...

4.the +10 enhancement does merge into ur weapon, though it canot stack with ur current +5 enhancement from ur risen lord's scythe, in this case it can give ya only +5 bonus ab.

5.not like players, those mages need a target to cast any of their spell. so if ur in ur Kobold Commando form, u can prevent them from casting any spells on u by using HIPS whenever u notice they're to cast any offensive spell. no,u canot count on ur regen and vampric regen to heal urself when fighting mages, but u can go hiden and leave the mage for a while to drain other umgah stingers' blood until ur healed. this may be one tactic when u want to solo thought it's not usually so effective.
dm icequeen
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm icequeen »

DM Dragonheart wrote:Makes me laugh what some folks want....Driller adds a few things and then ya whine about how hard they are...remember team work guys..it isnt hard...

Get a Group together and have fun....adventuring isnt just a solo project .it can be made fun when in a party too..

Driller doesnt have to add new things to make it more opf a challenge to players ..he could just leave things as they are and do other things with his spare time

I say good work Driller ..keep it up im happy with the weay things are 8)

Im 100% behind you there DH , its all about tream work and thats makes adventuring fun :)

I love them ..... good work Driller :D
Valnir
Count
Count

Post by Valnir »

well at least nr. 5 was a good idea. With my build it could work.
Although my current shifter has only 7 druid lvls, 11 shifter lvls. So both spells and forms aren't great at all. This guy is mainly build on the epic monster Grendel from the Beowulf poem. Bit a freak of nature, a dwarven risen lord.

I can take the punishment of the spells, at least the first 10 minutes or so :S
After that the lack of healing and ab is a problem. Unshifting means death for sure.
I say make a shifter and try it your self. I would advice not to run away with 100 hp or less. Transition killed me already once.
Valnir Raven

FOXY LADY790
Count
Count

Post by FOXY LADY790 »

I love them and it makes it fun now .....Well done Driller love the new idea 8) *looks around for more nasty little things poping up around the realm of Blackstone*..... :D :) :o :P :evil: :wink: :twisted:

So all i can say is have fun and try them in a party :)

Cyas all in game :D
I may be small but im fast cunning and very very devious
Valnir
Count
Count

Post by Valnir »

Ok so i don't get it.

It almost sounds like fun to go after them in party. Sure party play is fun but i would rather go after the drow city in a party then go in party to the umgahs.

Sure the umgah mages are challenging but not rewarding at all. CR vs reward is a bit off. Same exp as normal umgahs same chance on random drop but higher CR.
Valnir Raven

tropiofCancer
Count
Count

Umgah Mages serve their intended Purpose I think

Post by tropiofCancer »

Yeah its nice to see the group effort happening in Nethris again . Its also nice to see that PM's , Soakers , and SD's gotta sing for their supper now instead of going afk and returning to pick up loot after they topped off their Pepsi . Umgah Mages are damn wiggly , even with an AB in the 70's I miss alot but there are already creative players like Rainsanctum , WinterRaven and others who have used ingenuity to find success there . Well Done Driller
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

very interesting... not too bad for a monk/sd type of character. although greater ruin hurts a bit, hell ball does almost no damage. Still died though, but it took awhile... I'm sure it would be much more difficult if that character was less than level 40.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

I checked it out today with one of my sneakers. The umgah mages have lots of damage reduction, a very high armor class, a very good spot skill and unlimited epic spellcasting capabilities. It certainly poses a new and interesting obstacle to go around.

Definitely the kind of encounter that is difficult to solo against. I would suggest that hunters bring friends for these guys.
The only constant is change.
winteraven
Count
Count

Post by winteraven »

Much fun Driller! Definitely nice to see a couple new things to spice things up.

However, perhaps lower their AC a tad to give the melees a chance to hit would be nice aside from crit only hits, would give those without 80+ AB a fighting chance, lol. I thoroughly enjoyed them though. They are manageable but I had to fall back on spells to eventually kill them. And the quickened spells I think could be lessened to give a small chance for the non-casting players.

It's great to party up and go to town down there but only by observation, you need to be a caster or very lucky with crits to take them down. I logged in this afternoon and upon being invited to a party, 4 out of 5 players down there together were dead and others having to log out and back in with better chars to rez them. I went down rezzed them, and stuck around a bit to help out but ultimately for the good of the many I strongly suggest only a little tweak to even out the CR of the encounter.

But definitely a nice new addition! Kudos Driller! :)

Happy Gaming :D
~ I kill things and drink potions~