Power Leveling and Role Playing

General Discussion is for anything related to Blackstone not covered in the other forums.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Power Leveling and Role Playing

Post by Capt Cliff »

Is power leveling hurting role playing and the general over all theme of BSK?

If you go out the the Ant farm you'll see bunches of people out there not taking any damage but just kicking butt on the poor ants. I assume they have the special gear that alllows this, a power leveler. Don't try to role play with them they are too busy leveling. Oh they will say hi and invite you in to help in the leveling.

Oh yeah hunting alone should also be discouraged, but hat's another thread.
Hordack
Duke
Duke

Post by Hordack »

My 2 cents :shock: Yes Capt Cliff I believe you are right seems most care about leveling character's and building the best build so they can lay down the smack down on some poor defenseless RPer who just wants to have fun and RP :shock:
winteraven
Count
Count

Post by winteraven »

So any person that was lucky enough to find or buy gear or design the right build is automatically a power-leveller? Are we all taking orders from Cliff here to not even speak to a fellow player? THIS IS A GAME PEOPLE! Stop pointing fingers! *mutters something about where fingers can go*

To each their own. As long as everyone plays by the rules, allow people to do so without having to cut cheese for everyone who whines. The majority of people who play on this wonderful server are adults. If you are one then ACT LIKE IT.

I love playing here, I like the players and appreciate the uniqueness of everyones style of play. I may not understand or like some, but I don't go flaming half the server in a useless rant that will do nothing but provoke ill feelings. Recently the forums have degenerated into a kindergarten class room. All over the place I see cursing, name-calling, insults, finger pointing, he said/she said, accusations of racism, religious hate, bigotry and so on. Can't we all just get along? Or at least just agree to disagree? Come on People!

I weep for the future of Blackstone.
~ I kill things and drink potions~
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

To the topic at hand, I don't necessarily think that it is 100% possible to RP ever single moment due to the high curve after level 20.

I have, and do build complete RP builds. Beldin is incredibly underpowered. Heck, I even write his exploits under the category of "lessers."

I have had him kill things and "hunt" or "train" alone and in party. I think if you're going with such a strict definition, Cliff, then that would mean that "hunting" or "training" could almost NEVER be done as a RP. Otherwise, people would be killing nothing but deer for food.

So, really, I don't think that the server/mod is really set up for a 100% RP environment anyway and since it is ROLE PLAY LITE, you can only apply such rules to your own character, not everyone else's.
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

It takes at least 2 people for what is officially called powerleveling to occur (this is when high level characters do all the work and the lowbie just soaks up all that free ambient XP). When it's just a solo character grinding monsters with specific gear it may make for speedy leveling but it isn't technically powerleveling. While such tactics may be considered cheap by some, it is still quite legal.
The only constant is change.
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Although, come to think of it, Cliff, perhaps you're referring to METAgaming, which does indeed run rampant on BSK and almost *all* servers. Metagaming is where you use your knowledge as a NWN player instead of playing a character where you only operate on their knowledge base.

This would mean that if you play a character with 8 INT, you would have speaking difficulties, and would have a hard time understanding certain things. Character with high WIS and INT scores might have the lore and knowledge necessary to have a career path that might maximize their abilities, but that would be truly RPing the stats and personality of the character.

It would also mean that your RPed character would misuse forge stones, not take items from mules, not know what monsters traits, abilities or even how powerful they are, would get lost around the land, and would in general act like a newbie.

NWN is a far cry from PnP gaming. NWN is set up like a VIDEOGAME using aspects of PnP rules. There are projects out there trying to make NWN more PnP like, but none of those are used on BSK.

As such, of course there will be a lot od metagaming because people are trying to do good at a game as opposed to doing a good job acting out a personality.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

The best thing to do is play your own style and try not to impose it on others.

-driller
shaggy1971
Baron
Baron
Location: Loooking behind himself making sure Foxy isnt there

Post by shaggy1971 »

I have lvled and rped chrs in my 4 years of being on the server...with knowledge experimentation and the right gear it is not impossible to go to an area and kick creature butt all over the realm...

So to point fingers at those who have been around spent time and effort in getting what it takes to beat thet giant or that scorpion or a trite..is just unfair....

Many veteran players have worked really hard and yes like myself if we dont rp a chr but just lvl him...we can indeed get from 1-40 in no time at all...

So before ya rant rave and scream at folks and think things are unfair...step back and think a bit...and ask yaself this question..how can he/she do that what does he/she have..is that an affordable item..are they a veteran player....all these and many more i could write here are just the tip of the ice berg
I see rivers of blood and....

Hmmmm perhaps a spleen
eclipse08
Duke
Duke

Post by eclipse08 »

Murken is currently stuck at or around 25th level. As a sorcerer/RDD/Fighter he is not necessarily the best build by far. I do try and RP most of the time, and I appreciate when the RP is returned. There are those who have the idea that powerlevelling is the way to go and attempt to justify their lack of RP as a "playing style".

To each his own. If someone ignores your RP, go with it. If someone steals your kills or PKs you while you were RPing and there are no DMs around, send me a tell. Murken will set things right. Hehe. *evil grin*
dm_demitri
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by dm_demitri »

Technically, with the xp system set up the way driller has it designed now (which I think is just awesome! 8) ) It is no longer possible to powerlevel.

Also, it no longer matters what level characters are to be partied together, because the xp is only dished out according to the rules.

So I'm gonna agree with Caesius here about powerleveling.

As for the gameplay part of this, I agree with driller and Viobane. This is an RP-Lite server where all are invited to bring their own diversity in personal gaming styles.

Not everyone is going to have the same style, or agree on things all the time. It's all quite relative from each players perspective. Of course we DO try to make sure the rules are fair to all and enforced as stated...

Anyhow, there's my thoughts,
~Demitiri
" The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. " ~Dorthy Nevill
Capt Cliff
Duke
Duke

Post by Capt Cliff »

Viobane, Yes Metagaming is what I was talking about. But I consider it a form of powerleveling. Ant's slash and Umgah's pierce so buff accordingly and ride the wave! Eee-Haw!

winteraven, HUH? I say HUH? All I did was ask a question! I was not TELLING anybody what to do! (Been talking to Fawn?) An for that finger of yours .. shsst .. it's not where it goes it's where that puppy has been that scares me!! Ewww!!!

I guess waht driller said sums it up ... to each his own .. to paraprase if I may.
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

I'm guessing that winteraven was reacting to what looked (and still looks) to be a judgment being made by you against other people. There have been too many of those lately and maybe you can add this one to the list.

True, you did ask a question but you then added an opinion. The opinion was taken as a negative statement against those that know the mechanics of the game and maximize the knowledge. Where is it written that an effective combat build cannot be a good RP build?

You seem put off that they invite you to join their group but you also seem to discourage solo play. So I am just confused there.

I'd refer you to Shaggy's response.

Fenrip

PS The finger she is talking about is yours.
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
HelloBSK
Count
Count

Post by HelloBSK »

Wow, why can't we all just get along? :lol: :D :shock: :wink:
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

HelloBSK wrote:Wow, why can't we all just get along? :lol: :D :shock: :wink:
Because most suck at ze roleplaying and are better at building characters. Oh and -- why did the kid from kindergarten steal that other kids crayons again?

So many questions and so many answers we will never get... :P
Hordack
Duke
Duke

Post by Hordack »

*steals Nizzle's Crayon's* Because I am a better Rogue then you ';..;'