How dare I?

This forum is for those interested in discussing NWN scripting.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

TheBlackSage
Commoner
Commoner

How dare I?

Post by TheBlackSage »

Ok....

I'm probably going to get flamed for this... But...

Driller,

Have you thought about packaging your mod and setting it up as a distribution on IGN's NWN Vault? With only 50 ports available, and most every night the damn place is packed, having other mods that follow your style could greatly improve the community. I for one cuss at you for making an addicting mod and then it either being down or full.

If given the opportunity, I would launch one to compliment BSK. Actually, is there a way to span players over multiple servers? I think that would rock if you could cluster them that way... I have seen "gateway" servers but never really looked hard at them.

Thoughts?

~The Black Sage 8)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I don't want Blackstone splintered.

-driller
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Post by ValentianNizzle »

driller wrote:I don't want Blackstone splintered.

-driller
..... And neither do the rest of us - except of course The Black Sage.....
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

FLAMES UPON YE! BURN HEATHEN, BURN!

Ok flaming over (sorry i couldn't resist) nah, we'd prefer to have 1 near-perfect BSK (if only the celestial prostitutes, that would be... wow) that 300 crap imitations.
HelloBSK
Count
Count

Post by HelloBSK »

I agree. We need to keep BSK PURE!!!!

Everyone wants our BSK... Presssiousss... our pressiousss..... :twisted:
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:FLAMES UPON YE! BURN HEATHEN, BURN!

Ok flaming over (sorry i couldn't resist) nah, we'd prefer to have 1 near-perfect BSK (if only the celestial prostitutes, that would be... wow) that 300 crap imitations.
Right on the money, good chap!
TheBlackSage
Commoner
Commoner

Post by TheBlackSage »

*Feels the burn*

Ok then... What scripts are you using for encounter generation? I like how it is all over the place, and random. Since I am sitting here at work and do not have access to my notes, I can't tell you what I'm using off the top of my head. It comes with a spiffy little windows based tool... I -THINK- it's spawn waypoint generator... but I'm not sure.

Then the town portal scrolls are cool too. I pulled your script from IGN in regards to dynamic naming. I thought it was really slick...

Oh no... wait...

The HUGE question... the question of all motherloaded questions...

How do you get it to save player location data through reboots and crashes... I can not BEGIN to tell you how impressed by that I am....

Is there a secret to it?

~The Black Sage (Putt'n on the Nomex Jammies)
Kretch
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Kretch »

If you want anything to say beyond resets and what not you need to use campaign variables. You can use them for pretty much anything you wish but there is a limit to the size and you need to be careful when reading them in. The NWN Lexicon is fairly helpful in explaining them.
Wandering where you are.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

First, don't use the Bioware functions Set/GetCampaignLocation() to store your player location, it is bugged.

What you need to do is convert your locations to strings and save and retrieve them with Get/SetCampaignString(), then just parse the string and reconstruct the location.

Look in "x0_i0_position" if you want to learn how to do this, the function is called string LocationToString(), or download one of many versions that I am sure is in the vault.

-driller

TheBlackSage wrote:*Feels the burn*

Ok then... What scripts are you using for encounter generation? I like how it is all over the place, and random. Since I am sitting here at work and do not have access to my notes, I can't tell you what I'm using off the top of my head. It comes with a spiffy little windows based tool... I -THINK- it's spawn waypoint generator... but I'm not sure.

Then the town portal scrolls are cool too. I pulled your script from IGN in regards to dynamic naming. I thought it was really slick...

Oh no... wait...

The HUGE question... the question of all motherloaded questions...

How do you get it to save player location data through reboots and crashes... I can not BEGIN to tell you how impressed by that I am....

Is there a secret to it?

~The Black Sage (Putt'n on the Nomex Jammies)
TheBlackSage
Commoner
Commoner

Post by TheBlackSage »

Now here's the kicker...

The trailers and interviews I've seen have said that you can drop all your cripting and wotnot into the new NWN2 toolkit and it's just supposed to "work". Do you know if that is the case for that code or will it even be needed in NWN2?

Just pondering,

~The Black Sage (Hanging out with Pinky and the Brain)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I am not sure, but I am assuming that they didn't fix any of the old bugs NWN had.

-driller
TheBlackSage wrote:Now here's the kicker...

The trailers and interviews I've seen have said that you can drop all your cripting and wotnot into the new NWN2 toolkit and it's just supposed to "work". Do you know if that is the case for that code or will it even be needed in NWN2?

Just pondering,

~The Black Sage (Hanging out with Pinky and the Brain)
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

driller wrote:I am not sure, but I am assuming that they didn't fix any of the old bugs NWN had.

-driller
why'd you think it's been delayed for 6 years! They're still trying to write the Anti-Warlock script!
ValentianNizzle
Duke
Duke

Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:
driller wrote:I am not sure, but I am assuming that they didn't fix any of the old bugs NWN had.

-driller
why'd you think it's been delayed for 6 years! They're still trying to write the Anti-Warlock script!
Is there actually such a dreaded thing in the works!? :shock:
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

ValentianNizzle wrote:
Pretty Fly White Guy wrote:

-driller
Is there actually such a dreaded thing in the works!? :shock:
surely it would be worse without!
Draco
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Draco »

Heh... I asked driller the same thing years (maybe one, maybe two) ago when BSK became suddenly offline for a looong time... I offered hosting it here, in Europe. I don't remember if he answered me, but since I'm not hosting BSK now I suppose that I get no answer or the answer was "no".
But I can understand him. BSK is great and yes, it is preciousss... The only thing I hope for is that if driller ever becomes bored with BSK, he will upload itto the Vault for ppl like me, who could learn something usefull from it :)