Working with (or against...) Vista

This forum is for those interested in discussing NWN scripting.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Mer`Zikain
Count
Count

Working with (or against...) Vista

Post by Mer`Zikain »

I was wondering if any of you have tried making a module with NWN1 on windows vista. I've been working on mine for a while and I find that every now and then the whole thing crashes when I test a module. Not that I have put something in my mod that caused the game to crash, because I can start it right back up and it'll work fine the second time.

Something seems to want to crash my video driver. Usually happens when I change the default area visual properties. Nothing drastic, just changing from one default setup to another (like interior bright to interior normal). Sometimes it just crashes the driver entirely and other times it has done something so odd it's hard to describe. Basically my screen starts showing strange polygons of various colors and sizes while in a certain area.

Anyone else have this problem or know of others who have and a possible solution?
halfogre0520
Baron
Baron

Post by halfogre0520 »

*Insane Laughter* Mwahahaha! You have fallen prey to the dreaded "Shared Video RAM" Daemon!

Bah, it was explained to me like this: Vista allocates a certain amount of system RAM to be shared with whatever video card you have in the system. It will not USE this RAM until needed by whatever program you're using. The toolset when displaying different visual effects uses all the video memory it can find, including the shared RAM allocated by Vista. Here's the bad news...YOU CANNOT CHANGE THIS! Vista has no setting allowing you to turn off this shared RAM feature. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I have a GeForce 8800 video card that renders the toolset fine in XP, but crashes when I experiment with different visual effects in the toolset in Vista.

Basically, Vista is bad. Very very bad.
BSK User: Douglas Thurman
Character: Regulus Hinder, Cleric of Kazra
Character: Test Subject One - Fighter, Level 6
"The only reason some people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory."
- Paul Fix
Mer`Zikain
Count
Count

Post by Mer`Zikain »

Yeah, Vista gives me cause to delete it daily.

Now I have a problem with one area in my mod causing it to crash consistently but only if I test the module through the nwserver >_<

Makes it nearly impossible for me to test things against ILR while working on this subrace script. I'm getting so frustrated with Vista it's about to cause me to just say screw NWN all together >_<
Dugaru327
Baron
Baron

Post by Dugaru327 »

Mer`Zikain wrote:Yeah, Vista gives me cause to delete it daily.

Now I have a problem with one area in my mod causing it to crash consistently but only if I test the module through the nwserver >_<

Makes it nearly impossible for me to test things against ILR while working on this subrace script. I'm getting so frustrated with Vista it's about to cause me to just say screw NWN all together >_<
I guess I'm going NWN2.
Sincerely,
Father Unen E'lie
Founding elven warrior-stealth monk of the Shining Order Monastery