Forum Security

This forum is for those interested in discussing NWN scripting.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Forum Security

Post by Gibbo »

Not really related to the game, however it deals with scripting:

I've noticed that this forum is really really secure in the way of spambots, automated advertisements, and otherwise malicious software like that. Kudos to Driller for keeping the place clean. I've been trying to manage my own phpbb forum base, but I'm having some real trouble keeping out the bots.

I'm not much of a scripter, but I've been able to add something called the "Humanizer" feature to registration, and in addition I've activated just about all the defeault security checks. I've even added a short list of common words used in the log in names of some of these bots, but I feel like I'm fighting at the Alamo.

I've already looked around the phpBB self-help site and got a couple ideas. Understanding all the lingo and then implementation stages seem to be where I'm struggling in that area. SO! In the short and stout of it all...

Does anyone have any suggestions to what I could do in order to make a simple phpBB forum base more secure against spambots and similar malicious software? (remember, use short sentences and tiny words. I've got to put my college education in application.)
ZOMFGOMBIES!
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Search for Anti Bot Question MOD. It nips bots in the bud.

-driller
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

O_o;;;

My post: 12:02 pm

Your reply: 12:09 pm

"Impressive..

Most impressive.." ~ Vader

Thanks, Driller! I'll take a look while I have a chance.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Jazelle
Duke
Duke

Post by Jazelle »

Thanks Driller I have been looking for a way to deal with this problem on two other forums I host that uses phpBB. I also need to upgrade the phpBB for them too.
The world is a strange place.
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

Command lines and unix interfaces?! Well, here's to head stratching and lots and lots of looking at the screen. "Suggested installation time: 30 minutes"

.... Gibbo's Predicted Installation time: 3 days, 4 hours, 72 minutes, and 42 seconds.
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

Just as a follow-up on this thread, I've been running the suggestion Anti-Bot Mod for about a week now and it seems to be working. I haven't had any spam bot accounts get through member registry. I'll continue to keep an eye on it, but so far so good! Thanks again, Driller! You're a life-saver.

... maybe even a strawberry creme saver.
ZOMFGOMBIES!