PvM Ranged Build - Ba 10/BG 3/AA 27 (Glass Cannon)

Post your builds here.
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

PvM Ranged Build - Ba 10/BG 3/AA 27 (Glass Cannon)

Post by itchyfunk »

To start, as it is a Divine Archer, this concept is very similar to Areani's build. I started with a Bard base and went chaotic-evil.

Only 8 Bard is required for this build. I added two extra bard levels for skill dumps (UMD and Tumble) and because at lvl 10, bards get access to their lvl-4 spells which include Improved Invisibility and War Cry (+2 attack/dmg and another special effect that you shouldn't worry about). As far as I know, this is the only way you'll get war cry. (I don't think scrolls exist.). You're able to learn 2 and cast 3.

Your bard song increases at lvl-8 and doesn't improve again until lvl-11. At lvl-8 you get: +2attack/dmg(bludge?), +1 will/reflex/fort and 8hp.

AA maxes out damage at lvl-29, so if you want to forgo the last two bard levels, you can pick up +1 AA damage at the expense of your lvl-4 spells.

I probably went overboard on UMD, my old rule of thumb was UMD 25 pretty much gave me access to everything... but I've never played anywhere that actually had ILR 40 items before either. There is definitely opportunity to optimize skill allocation and would max out my listen/spot if i had it to do over. I'm also not sure how much tumble is actually useful since AC doesn't appear to be meaningful against mobs on this server... again, I'd rather not be hit to start with... but then there are ranged enemies.

Also, I'm posting two variants here because there is a decision you have to make up front. I'm new to the server and as such I found myself soloing a lot. On an archer, especially a glass canon (I have a DR tanky version of this I can post if there's interest.) that means a lot of run-and-gun. In those cases only the first flurry really matters. So you have to decide, do you want a 2/2/2 progression (that you'll almost never see solo because your target either died in the first round or you are getting ready to run and see 2/-/- for a while) or would you settle for 2/2/1 and pickup 80hp. The starting stats to do this are: STR: 17 (26), DEX: 11 (12), CON: 10, WIS: 8, INT: 10, CHA: 16 (22). At Lvl-36 you pick up another Greater Charisma instead of Rapid Shot and at Lvl-40 you bump STR+1 instead of CHA.

On Eima, I opted to drop Rapid Fire to get the 80hp (306 total). In hindsight, I'm playing more in parties than I was before (which is nice! Thanks for being such a welcoming server community!) and with my gear I will be able to max my Str/Cha/Dex and still have some space to boost Con. So maybe I'll go back to my original concept which I post below.

One other note, even though I exceeded it, I find 18 Cha to be the sweet spot for this build. The reason being toon maintenance as the Bard song and the DM will time out at roughly the same time when you have 30 Cha (18+12), yielding a Cha bonus of +10.

/***** Original Glass Cannon Concept ****/
Bard(10), Blackguard(3), Arcane Archer(27), Elf

STR: 18 (26)
DEX: 12 (13)
CON: 6
WIS: 8
INT: 10
CHA: 16 (22)

Elf: (Hardiness vs. Enchantments, Keen Sense, Low-light Vision, Skill Affinity: Listen, Skill Affinity: Search, Skill Affinity: Spot, Sleeplessness)
01: Bard(1): Power Attack
02: Bard(2)
03: Bard(3): Point Blank Shot
04: Bard(4): STR+1, (STR=19)
05: Bard(5)
06: Bard(6): Weapon Focus: Longbow
07: Bard(7)
08: Bard(8): STR+1, (STR=20)
09: Arcane Archer(1): Cleave
10: Blackguard(1)
11: Blackguard(2): {Smite Good}
12: Blackguard(3): STR+1, Divine Might, (STR=21)
13: Arcane Archer(2)
14: Arcane Archer(3)
15: Arcane Archer(4): Called Shot
16: Arcane Archer(5): STR+1, (STR=22)
17: Arcane Archer(6)
18: Arcane Archer(7): Improved Critical: Longbow
19: Arcane Archer(8)
20: Arcane Archer(9): STR+1, (STR=23)
21: Arcane Archer(10): Great Cleave
22: Arcane Archer(11)
23: Arcane Archer(12)
24: Arcane Archer(13): STR+1, Great Charisma I, (STR=24), (CHA=17)
25: Arcane Archer(14): Overwhelming Critical: Longbow
26: Arcane Archer(15)
27: Bard(9): Great Charisma II, (CHA=18)
28: Arcane Archer(16): STR+1, (STR=25)
29: Arcane Archer(17)
30: Arcane Archer(18): Great Charisma III, Epic Weapon Focus: Longbow, (CHA=19)
31: Arcane Archer(19)
32: Arcane Archer(20): STR+1, (STR=26)
33: Arcane Archer(21): Great Charisma IV, (CHA=20)
34: Arcane Archer(22): Devastating Critical: Longbow
35: Arcane Archer(23)
36: Arcane Archer(24): DEX+1, Rapid Shot, (DEX=13)
37: Bard(10)
38: Arcane Archer(25)
39: Arcane Archer(26): Great Charisma V, Epic Prowess, (CHA=21)
40: Arcane Archer(27): CHA+1, (CHA=22)

Hitpoints: 226
Skillpoints: 166
Saving Throws (Fortitude/Will/Reflex): 25/25/30
Saving Throw bonuses: Mind Effects: +2
BAB: 28
AB (max, naked): 37 (melee), 47 (ranged)
AC (naked/mundane armor/shield only): 19/30
Spell Casting: Bard(4)
Alignment Changes: 0

Hide 5(6), Listen 31(32), Move Silently 5(6), Perform 14(20), Spot 31(32), Tumble 40(41), UMD 40(46)
02: Hide(5), Move Silently(5), Perform(5), Tumble(5),
07: Tumble(5), UMD(5), Save(10),
08: Perform(5), UMD(4), Save(5),
37: Perform(4), Tumble(30), UMD(31), Save(50),
40: Listen(31), Spot(31),
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Re: PvM Ranged Build - Ba 10/BG 3/AA 27 (Glass Cannon)

Post by The Flying Rodent »

Hey Itchy, looks like a fun build too!

Quick question about Devastating Critical on your archer: Do you know whether or not it adds extra Magic Damage? Or does it add Physical damage? I recall seeing a block of magic damage dealt by your archer when I was following them around, but that could have been Seeker Arrow not Dev Crit ...
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

Post by itchyfunk »

Dev Crit is all magical add on.
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

That's pretty cool. Will keep that in mind! :)
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

Post by itchyfunk »

I think you're pondering a boss build so, +35% comes on the damage delivered, after DIs, DRs and such... Not sure if that changes the calculus much since I don't know the bosses that well. It looks like they have 50% damage immunity for most damage types but y'all will know that better than me for sure.
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Yeah, it seems like the 35% extra damage, whilst it is magical, is still dependent on the combined total damage dealt before that. So against say a 50% physical immune boss, a Dev Crit will most likely deal about half of what it normally would in magic damage .

Still, pretty impressive damage figures none the less!
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

Post by itchyfunk »

I just noticed that the Dev Crit Damage bonus seems to have been switched from magical to physical... which means that at end game, apart from allowing CB on a weap, Dev Crit is basically disabled.
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)