trying to help a friend server 1.69 to nwn EE

Open Discussion - Please use appropriate decorum
Beezlebub
Baron
Baron

trying to help a friend server 1.69 to nwn EE

Post by Beezlebub »

he wants to know what he needs to do to transfer/ie move on to nwn EE if you are a 1.69 server host. he owns it so whatever u can tell him on that post would be nice if anyone can help him out. his server is dying and im sure once he get on nwnEE he will be on a better place to keep the server alive :) ty for your consideration. CHeers

xoxo, Beezlebub

is my old server i used to run with.
https://aventia3.freeforums.net/thread/ ... ollTo=6720
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: trying to help a friend server 1.69 to nwn EE

Post by driller »

Buy EE. Load the old module in EE, compile and save it. Done.
Beezlebub wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:56 pm he wants to know what he needs to do to transfer/ie move on to nwn EE if you are a 1.69 server host. he owns it so whatever u can tell him on that post would be nice if anyone can help him out. his server is dying and im sure once he get on nwnEE he will be on a better place to keep the server alive :) ty for your consideration. CHeers

xoxo, Beezlebub

is my old server i used to run with.
https://aventia3.freeforums.net/thread/ ... ollTo=6720
SkyBlues87
Duke
Duke

Post by SkyBlues87 »

Or do as I have done install EE in a different directory path to that of NWN1 1.69 and then you can play either as you wish to.... I did try the merge as Driller suggested above but it created too many issues so I stepped back and made them individual targets... Means you can't play both at the same time but hey that is not an issue for me as I dont run multi-bots anyway ...
Where there is a will there will be a way...
Beezlebub
Baron
Baron

Post by Beezlebub »

SkyBlues87 wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:49 pm Or do as I have done install EE in a different directory path to that of NWN1 1.69 and then you can play either as you wish to.... I did try the merge as Driller suggested above but it created too many issues so I stepped back and made them individual targets... Means you can't play both at the same time but hey that is not an issue for me as I dont run multi-bots anyway ...
not playing 1.69 to Nwn EE he has a server he wants on on Nwn EE since his server is dying hard past few years 1-3 playeers a day is quite bad and not point of paying 40 a month just to run it like so....he wants a new host to do it or its going to go down and welll lose a great old server from 2006 or something like that..... he wants it on EE so it brings back life to his sever. if he not able to do it he will just shut it down for good which is sad its a EPIC scripted server over 1000+ maybe even 10k scripts in total....not sure if its 10k+ but its high up there.
driller wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 1:32 pm Buy EE. Load the old module in EE, compile and save it. Done.

no way it can be that easy Driller?
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

Well, I will be honest and cynical. Please don't accept it as offence. It is pure analysis.

1. What to do.
1.1. IMHO, Driller wrote first steps what to do. Just do it.
1.2. As soon as new server is up, GM have to involve his community to test and bug reporting.
1.3. Hard work to debug, bug fixing and testing again. If GM has developers in his team, it will help a lot. Don't hope it will be quick. It can take 6+ months.

2. Conditions:
2.1. If GM is weak developer, he don't have any chance to migrate his server.
2.2. if community of his server is weak or not loyal, GM don't have any chance to migrate his server.
2.3. If no chance to migrate server, GM should don't spend his time and effort, come to Blackstone together with his community and enjoy.

3. Involvement.
3.1. I don't think Driller have to help another GM to migrate his server in any way. Driller is permanently busy with Blackstone. Blackstone is close to perfect, but Driller have to think how to do it better (continuous improvement).
3.2. Blackstone's community is happy on Blackstone and should not care about another servers. I don't think anyone wants participate in testing or bug reporting.

PS: Sorry one more time if my post looks a little rude. Nothing personal.
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

IMHO, if GM can disable or delete as much custom scrips as possible, it will help to start simpler.

Later, as soon as server will be enough stable, GM can add custom content/scrips a little by a little.
SkyBlues87
Duke
Duke

Post by SkyBlues87 »

I wasn't as clear as I should have been above this was also the case where I was trying to convert a mod I have personally which I tried to convert at one point I dropped the idea after hitting too many issues to resolve even with the a similair method to the merge Driller suggested..
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

NWN:EE is supposed to be 100% compatible with 1.69 and you should be able to open the module in the EE toolset and save.
SkyBlues87 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:32 am I wasn't as clear as I should have been above this was also the case where I was trying to convert a mod I have personally which I tried to convert at one point I dropped the idea after hitting too many issues to resolve even with the a similair method to the merge Driller suggested..
SkyBlues87
Duke
Duke

Post by SkyBlues87 »

I did that but I don't think EE likes old hak files I had inside my personal mod its not really an issue I can still play it in NWN1 mode when I feel like it ...

Just kind of reporting that I had issues with merging that I am not skilled enough to resolve so I let it be... I do however wish the friend of yours every success in doing this merge to EE my comments where just a little warning that things may not be as straight forward as they seem...
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Ya, haks make it a different story.
SkyBlues87 wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 5:54 am I did that but I don't think EE likes old hak files I had inside my personal mod its not really an issue I can still play it in NWN1 mode when I feel like it ...

Just kind of reporting that I had issues with merging that I am not skilled enough to resolve so I let it be... I do however wish the friend of yours every success in doing this merge to EE my comments where just a little warning that things may not be as straight forward as they seem...
Beezlebub
Baron
Baron

Post by Beezlebub »

well this is what the other scripter in there was stating

The problem with Aventia will be the NWNX EE. Pluggins like NWNXFiles, NWNXCool, NWNXResman and NWNXFuncs are not available on the EE version of the game, plus I bet that most of the scripts must be re-written and re-optimized (especially change tile/lightning scripts).

One needs to find a scripter so he can "convert" all the necessary scripts in a "format" that NWNXEE understands.
I am up for the task during summer time... How long will it take? I do not know. Aventia is huge! Opening and tweaking each NWNX depended script - one by one will take a long time...

Running the module on EE at this current state, will only result chaos..

since there saying aventia has a shit ton of scripts even with NWN EE being sappose to be 100% compatible im sure it is but on his end its not lax like it sappose to be. im sure he's tried comp in NWN EE to try to set it up ...im sure it did'nt show the first time.
Beezlebub
Baron
Baron

Post by Beezlebub »

sergeil wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:52 am Well, I will be honest and cynical. Please don't accept it as offence. It is pure analysis.

1. What to do.
1.1. IMHO, Driller wrote first steps what to do. Just do it.
1.2. As soon as new server is up, GM have to involve his community to test and bug reporting.
1.3. Hard work to debug, bug fixing and testing again. If GM has developers in his team, it will help a lot. Don't hope it will be quick. It can take 6+ months.

2. Conditions:
2.1. If GM is weak developer, he don't have any chance to migrate his server.
2.2. if community of his server is weak or not loyal, GM don't have any chance to migrate his server.
2.3. If no chance to migrate server, GM should don't spend his time and effort, come to Blackstone together with his community and enjoy.

3. Involvement.
3.1. I don't think Driller have to help another GM to migrate his server in any way. Driller is permanently busy with Blackstone. Blackstone is close to perfect, but Driller have to think how to do it better (continuous improvement).
3.2. Blackstone's community is happy on Blackstone and should not care about another servers. I don't think anyone wants participate in testing or bug reporting.

PS: Sorry one more time if my post looks a little rude. Nothing personal.
driller is not helpilng him just giving out steps which is just a knowledge base info anyone can have or say weither he choose to help out or not is up to him. and yes he is weak and the people will help out on his community it just takes time for people to come back online and read the post he just listed 2 days ago. AND if anyone wants to help out there free and willing and people are aready doing so .....you should be more incline to just let them help and not but in with this type of convosation your not helping just making yourself more of a snob then anything. you should refrain from posting things like these again..this is off topic not a open discussion if anyone wants to have there 2 cents. thank you to anyone who is been involved with facts from there end.can't thank you enough for your input that server has been a real home to me in the past 15yrs its been up+ even who i have'nt been in there for over 2+years :) .this server is a great community i thank you again
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Let's not turn this into an argument.

Here is NWNX for EE.

https://github.com/nwnxee/unified
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

Beezlebub wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:46 am
sergeil wrote: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:52 am Well, I will be honest and cynical. Please don't accept it as offence. It is pure analysis.
you should refrain from posting things like these again
Well, I will not anger about your post, but don't say me what I have to do and I will not say you where you should go...

Bottom line after a lot of posts, because it was not clean at start.
1. Server run under 1.69
2. Your link refer to site where registration is required.
2. Server has about 10k custom's scripts
3. Server use haks.

Questions:
1. Is EE version of server able to start?
2. What kinds of haks is used and is it possible to switch haks off even with serious regress?
3. Is there test server where people can test it?
4. Is there bug reporting organized?
5. Is there anyone who can analyse bug reports and make fixes?
sergeil
Duke
Duke

Post by sergeil »

There is question about haks. Is it supported? Is there chance to receive version, what is adapted/fixed for EE? Or, maybe, there are recommendations how to avoid well-known issues.