EVENT: It stared with Sarah (IC thread)

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

~ The Cannon of Shalnath, found by others through chance, came to Ian by destiny. He’s shared the true meaning of what he’s learned with only one other, his longtime and most trusted friend, Starshine. Neither of them is wholly evil and yet both are so far from good. They are the epitome of chaos, and it is their chaotic nature that has led them to pry into what neither of them ever should have.

The quest for power is a never ending one. The ability to resist temptation steadily fades as new strengths are discovered. “Just because no one has ever been able to wield the power of the hells and not be consumed, doesn’t mean it cannot be done,â€
The wise man speaks because he has something to say. The fool speaks because he has to say something.
Doofy Britches
Duke
Duke

Post by Doofy Britches »

It was a long evening, a long evening indeed. Balindun stood by the old oak listening to conversations, and enjoying some fresh air, and his pipe, for, too long he had been couped up at the Temple in prayer and study. It was good to stretch his legs, and listen to people. Good to inhale the new tobacco Vogon had slipped into his hand, during their last trade.

Immediately he discerned, that there was evil afoot.. both in town.. .and outside. He heard discussions of the affairs of Kazra, of Shalnath, of individual plots, and of an evil presence stirring in the swamps. And then he overheard a lady named Kindax, selling wares to any that would buy, and he had heard this name before. Curious, he decided to speak with her, as he knew none of the other folk in the town square at present. Kindax was polite, resolute, and as she sold an item to a passing swordsman, asked Balindun if he had heard about the evil that was gathering… and growing within the swamps. Balindun had not, and listened intently to all that Kindax told him. Apparently, Shalnath was stirring again…and had been doing so for some time now.

Balindun had seen the workings of Shalnath before. By the hells, he’d even caught glimpse of the dread beast in his foul abode a couple of years gone by. To hear that he might be stirring, and that he may have followers gathering in strength in the swamps, upset him. When Kindax asked if he might be interested in joining a party to investigate, he agreed without hesitation, and left to secure his battle armor, and the Hammer he had slain many, many demonkind with.

Kindax seemed alright enough, but some of the other members of the group it seemed to Balindun, were as bent on evil ways, as those for which they were all heading to the swamps to possbily slay. Balidun asked Vor for his guidance, and his protection, for it is the way of Evil to slay Evil…and if Shalnath were behind these stirrings.. that evil was greater than any inhabitant of Blackstone could threaten. If these brave folk were going, Balindun would be going with them.

Balindun followed the group to the swamps…with a notion to that the shrine there may contain some information, or the source of this evil stirring. Getting there, proved to be a troublesome task….though, there was great strength in this adventuring party. Not a typical gathering, there was a great Blue Dragon, another who’s eye and skill with a bow he had never seen before, a great swordsman, and a young dwarf with a continual whiskey buzz, and he didn’t mind sharing.
After many foes, and clearly, foes in greater strength than Balindun had seen in a long while… the group reached the temple, and its depths, and even unto the Underdark did they venture, smiting all that stood before them. Evil took the form of RuneLords, and more powerful Undead than even his ties to Vor could overcome. So great were the battles that Balindun frequently had to retreat to the temple to secure Vor’s blessings and strength.

Finally, exhausted and wounded from battle, the shrine cleared, Balindun thanked the group for their efforts and bravery, and left to retire in thought and prayer. Clearly he would have to explain his actions to the Elders, and as well…seek their council. From what he could see, the source of this evil was not determined… and that was troubling to him.

The group of adventurers though, stayed in the shrine to ensure the evil menace did not return, and to discuss other matters, of which he did not wish to know.. .or even dare to know about. In the balance of things…this group served the greater good by defeating a greater evil, and that, was worthy of praise. “I think after speaking with Elders, I shall seek out Kindax again, and speak to her of these eventsâ€
A Master role player is one who is willing and able to bend their character concept to make the game more enjoyable for all involved. To assist the DM in making the game fun, and to not sow discord. - Gary Gygax
BabydollJennifer
Baron
Baron

Post by BabydollJennifer »

For weeks Ian had been carrying this book, reading and making notes whenever possible.
“Listenâ€
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

Ian sets out to find more strength to add to Shalnath’s arsenal. He takes the form of a Balor and walks through the Keep to spread the teachings of Shalnath.

After speaking about the glory of Shalnath to several people, Starshine beckons Ian to go and speak with her in private. The two set out but are followed by the girl they believe is Gleanna’s niece. They wait for her in Skara Brae, ready to cut her down, should she so much as speak to either of them. They are invisible and she doesn’t notice them. While she rests under the cliff, they leave her.

The two elves sit in the tall grass in their favorite place of solitude, and talk as they often did in the past. Best friends sharing a peaceful day, something they both rarely saw anymore. Their thoughts turn to what they often do here, their people and the service they have sworn to do on their behalf.

They ponder what they have done, and how it serves Elfkind, to be minions of a demon. Sure, Ian and Starshine are both quite aloof and at times downright chaotic, but evil, that is something they have never been. Yet, here they sit, in the service of an evil overlord who will use them for his own purpose, then cast them aside, just as they thought to do to him.

Anguish builds within them both and the pain is visible on their faces. They look at each other. It comes to light almost simultaneously to them both that they will lose each other if they continue down this path. The only way they could ever hurt each other is like this, for one of them to lead the other to their demise, albeit unwittingly.

They have both endured the physical changes necessary to keep them in this world and remove their names from the passenger list of the ships to the Havens. And now they have overshadowed that act of selflessness by falling into the service of an evil equal to that which they have protected their people from for centuries.

Ian says to Starshine, “Go, prepare yourself for battle. There is something we must do. I’m not going to tell you what it is, until you’re ready to go.â€
The wise man speaks because he has something to say. The fool speaks because he has to say something.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

Speaking to an unseen fiend, Shalnath's servants hear his growling rumble.

He came at me in anger, he and his woman. I slew them in their folly, their hope to defy me.

With insistance he returned with others equally as foolish, heros and near-do-wells. I was no longer amused, the first lesson should have been the last.

Take this Rhaulth and have it used in the next ritual. Within is what I took from each, slivers of soul I claimed as they died to my wrath.

To seek to overthrow me is expected, I expect no less of my minions. A servant with ambition is a favorite, as long as they again worship me in defeat.

They will no doubt begin to notice what I took, as the shock of death fades and the light of life seems dimmer than they remember.

I claim them as my own, in payment for their tresspass. I will give the fragments to you, to empower the next ritual.

If they can stop the ritual, they will prove again their might and worth and I will offer the gifts they truely desire. Accepting and serving me is the only path they may have now. I will not permit them to become whole again without it.

The unseen figure departs in a flash of magic.In thought, Shalnath wonders how many times mortals will attack what they believe to be him, before they come to understand that they are battling nothing more than a little enchanted Homunculus.
Artist? Writer? Musician?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
http://www.myspace.com/st_dm_myle
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

Jack Uvaltrades would be considered quite a silly man to anyone who has casually visited with him in the Keep. Or anyone who has seen him in the Temple wearing a Toga and offering drinks to passersby for that matter. He is very eccentric, drinks heavily, and never seems to take anything seriously. But to those who count on his creations to aid them in their various causes, he is indispensable.

Starshine comes into the Temple looking for him. Jack hands her the flask he keeps just for her. She takes the flask, drinks from it, and as she hands it back to him she says, “You have work to do.â€
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

In their moments of peace nothing disturbs them for some time. Then as the calmness settles and they begin to own the triumph of the moment, of their victory, their packs shift under new wieght.

At first they hesitate, both knowing and both doubting what they will see within their packs. After a deep breath, the bravest of the two peers in to see it has returned. The Cannon of Shalnath has returned to each.

Then the burning starts...

Just moments before, within the bowels of the abyss, matters of importance to the two would-be heros unfold.

They defy me, bringing allies and servants of Kazra to aid their foolish quest to smite my puppet.

Let the girl who so boldly struck at my image find the hand which bore her sword cursed.... May the heat of my anger burn her flesh and may she only find peace from her suffering when my Ian serves my cause.

They wish to be one, to be bound to eachother, so be it. Now her suffering and her proud skill with her blade will be linked to his loyalty to me.

One does not pledge lightly to the lord of the abyssal realms and cast such promise aside without cost.

Back with the pair, the heat within her hand grows...

A bright light glares from between the pages of the demons book, as it slides out and opens its pages to face Ian.

Starshines' hand begins to burn with an unseen fire, fueled by the pledge made as duty called to task.

Scralled letter by letter in a language Ian has become all to familiar with, words form to be read.

My lost servant, you will return, or the others who are stray will burn.

My foolish priest, you will regain your place , or the suffering will spread.

My good student, you will teach and see that others learn.

My clever initiate, you will obey or see those you love weakened and dead.

By your pledge and promise you are mine in service and in broken deed, your are mine in soul.

Stop your foolish schemes and sillying dreams, or the girl beside thee will burn to coal.
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
winteraven
Count
Count

Post by winteraven »

During her rounds and her mind caught up in her own investigations, Caelyn took a breather in the temple to revitalize herself. Two elves, Ian and Starshine approached her. "We hear you have defeated Shalnath, Caelyn...alone..." they greeted her. Heaving a tired sigh, Caelyn responded. "Aye, indeed I have though not without some sacrifice my friends. What brings you asking these questions?" They quickly fill her in about the recent past. Looking to see that the sun was still up, she looks grimly at them and nods. "I will do all I can to assist you but I am afraid that you must defeat him yourselves to remove whatever curse he's laid. Shalnath and I are old foes but never underestimate him.. do your research.", she replies, "and a good weapon never hurts". Starshine shows her the new sword. "Aye", Caelyn says, "that'll do." She looks again to make sure it is still daylight, reads a scroll that will protect her from Shalnath's notice then motions for Ian to lead the way.

Entering the Lair, Caelyn moves quickly to utter her litany that has saved her from Shalnath on many occasions. Standing right behind Shalnath, ready to attack should the others fall, Caelyn shouts at them to say what had to be said and finish him. After a bloody battle Starshine lands a few mighty blows and with a loud thud, Shalnath falls, cursing them, a whisper reaching Caelyn's ears from the defeated demon, "I should have known you'd come..." Caelyn shook her head, smiled ruefully and pointed at Starshine whispering to him, "I came to observe only this time, demon, you see...you have no power over true hearts" Smiling widely as Starshine and Ian stuffed a book in the now dead demons throat, she congratulated them on their freedom then sobered them quickly with a forewarning. "He always comes back you know", she sighs wearily, "Come, to safety and light" She exits the now empty lair and the battle weary elves follow.

In the temple, Caelyn embraces the both of them and looks out at the now darkening sky. Soon it will be night and time for her to continue her investigations and hunt. "Be well, you two and should the need ever arise, I am at your service, at Blackstones service as my oath demands" She nods curtly at them and leaves the two tired elves and renews her own hunt with vigour. One down.. one to go....she thinks as she disappears into the dusk.
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

Dunabar's eyes popped open wide from his rest. For a moment he did not know where he was.

Fleeting visions of himself walking around the Keep in with an umbrella and an outfit that would embarass an elf flashed in his mind's eye

"Just a dream," he said to himself. "A horrible, horrible dream." He took a deep breath and focused on the scene around him. As good a fighting force he had ever worked with surrounded him. Good thing too. He thought about the events that brought him there.

One minute he was resting in the temple after touring Nethriss and the next minute he was watching as fellow adventurers spoke to an apparition of some sort.

It seemed that it was asking for help and they were trying to provide it. As he listened he heard some bits that reminded him of the rumors he heard about a sickness or plague. Seems this apparition may have been a victim of the plague and was trying to get it to stop.

He paid some attention to it and was planning to return to Nethriss after the apparition left the temple. Then he heard members of the group now surrounding him using words like "battle," "demon," and "hard to kill." This caused him to stop and listen a little more. When he heard them making sure they had means to resurrect the fallen, he took note and joined them. They travelled to Skara Brae and saw the apparition again.

After another meeting with the apparition and too much second guessing of themselves they were off. Exactly to where, he was not sure and for what reason, he was not clear. He really should start paying more attention. All he knew is that they were trying to stop a plague and the elf, Ian, was talking about some rituals.

How they related, he was not certain. Again, he should pay more attention. All he knew is that it was bad business. When the elf read from that blasted book Dunabar felt like snakes were squirming in his armor. Anything from that book would likely be worse than a plague. Perhaps he would seek counsel from the bower and the shifter. This was more than just elves and their magics.

He checked his gear and cleaned what he could. Fighting in the swamps was normally messy business but the foes, certainly all infernal, made it worse. He was pressed like he had never been before. He fell once after getting too far from the others and was raised. That would not happen again. He was not in Nethriss anymore.

He secured his possessions and was prepared for battle. His jaw was set, determined to go forth and fight against the plague that would cause widespread chaos.

As he stood up to approach the shifter a twinkle entered his eye and he let out a small chuckle when he realized what disturbed him most was not a plague, a creepy elven book, or even battling demonic dreatures. It was the picture in his head of himself walking the keep with an umbrella while wearing as foolish a set of clothing as could be found. Must be that the demons put those images in his mind ... and for that they would pay.
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

The little disciples were intent on thier rebellion, or so it seems.

Using his power over his servant, Shalnath watched, an aura of wispy mist and blinking eyes engulfing Ian.

The others begin to question the disciples, but the delay is short lived.

The ritual is in danger of being disrupted...

Other chances will present, but each chance lost slows the great demon lord in his desire....

Perhaps.... more temptation is warrented?
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

~~

With one simple phrase heard in his head and repeated aloud, Ian put himself on the threshold of the abyss. “Swear to tell others of the power of Shalnath and the power you seek shall be yoursâ€
ST_DM_Myle
Viceroy
Viceroy

Post by ST_DM_Myle »

His servant served him true and has brought him many followers in the days since the ritual was supposedly interupted. The number of deaths caused in the rush to stop him granted the true ritual all that much more power.

Ian was his... All for a promise not to plague their precious keep.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Funny thing how mortals stumple on long left eggs all by themselves. No effort against the Keep was needed as the mortals foolishly tried to boil the eggs and ate them. They started it again themselves.

As soon as it started, a smattering of hesitant adventurers gave half-hearted effort to aid the sickly. The occassional book left here and there added to the confusion. The pages flipping to reveal a great demon caused all manner of odd speculation. As the books were touched they burst to flame and conspiracy theories raged through those gathered and amused the demon.

Perhaps it is time for what comes next...

*A deep demonic chuckly flows across the surface, leaving the air to vibrate in his humor.*
Want to be published?
ImageLoT-zine©
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

Ian has been fulfilling his obligation to Shalnath. His Master has proven time and time again that he is worthy of Ian's service. How many now carry the Cannon, Ian can no longer count. Many, that is all he is certain of.

The foolish Wizard Foxmore, in his safe Tower surrounded by Blackstone Keep plays a game he cannot win. Ian watches the adventurers he sends to face Shalnath and has given his Master valuable information to battle and consume them.

When his Master calls, he will obey. Until then, Ian fulfills his obligation, and delivers Titans to his Master in exchange for peasants.
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

Ian enters the dark chamber of Shalnath’s manifestation. Slowly he approaches the daunting form of Shalnath. Ian stops and kneels before his Master, bowing his head in deference.

The large figure watches the little elf approach and smiles at his prize. He watches Ian take his knee and lets him bow for a short time before speaking.

“I sense you have brought me something my Ian. Speak now.â€
jackybaby
Count
Count

Post by jackybaby »

~Ian stands in the Temple relaying the Masters wishes to Jach and Starshine. An interesting character stands within ear-shot and so the three turn their attention to him.~

“Hello,â€