A Letter Between Old Friends

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Nizzle
Count
Count

A Letter Between Old Friends

Post by Nizzle »

The letter is sealed and upon the front, it is addressed to Natasha Angelus.

Dear Natasha,

It has been a while... and I hope this letter finds you well in both body and spirit. I hear disturbing rumors of things happening in Blackstone, as of late. Are they true? Have things run amok? Strange rumors of things best left unsaid in this letter, floats my way, disconcerting things. I know, when I left the last time... I left things hanging in the balance, but that is in the past. Tell me of our fellow scholars, how do they fare in these troubling times? Does the sour looking dwarf Farim still his wares on the main street corner? And tell me about yourself... It has been so long since we talked last.

Hoping to hear from you

Yours truly,

J. Pryce

The handwriting shows signs of the letter being hastily written.
I have a rendezvous with Death
At some disputed barricade,
It may be he shall take my hand
Lead me into his dark land
Close my eyes and quench my breath
I to my pledged word am true,
I shall not fail that rendezvous
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Re: A Letter Between Old Friends

Post by Gibbo »

The response comes only a few days later, given to the appointed person by a strange mephit.

Dear Jonathan,

Long time, no see-- as they say. Blackstone Keep is as it always has been and will be: in a state of flux. I do not possess your ear to hear which rumors you've heard and which you haven't, but like quicksilver, rumors never stay in one fixed shape for long. Needless to say, the worst you've heard is probably a fictitious construct meant to entertain a bard's audience, and the best you've heard is over-exaggerated.

Though as much as certainty is a double-edged lie, I will say this: Many things are happening in the Keep. Most recently, the Starkson Protectorate is transitioning to new leadership. Lady Arial, as you may recognize the name as a once Blackstone Hunter, has taken up the Sovereign's position, having appointed a General Marcus as her swordarm and military leader. I cannot say whether the change is for the better yet, though I am mindful that Great Oak did not grow in a single night. I do have my concerns, like with all things. Gaining so much in such a short amount of time, it can be as overwhelming as it is corrupting. Time, like I mentioned, will tell the tale of how the new administration either triumphs over temptation or falls prey to its tendrils.

Sadly, heroes are different from the legends they beget. There have been many unfortunate losses, some connected and others not to what I've already mentioned. Consequently, I currently seek out one I'd still consider family: an elven woman known as Fay'the. The recent tragedies over the last few years must be taking a toll on her, and I would be neglectful to find her.

Farim broods in his mountain-home, from what I hear. His wares are now too rich for the watered-down blood of the Keep's denizens. What is a Master Craftsman to do? I was considering seeking him out and challenging him to a drinking game. I know the inevitable outcome, however after now years of experience, I feel I could give him a substantial challenge.

As for myself... I am well. Several years ago I left the Keep in search of my true calling: I founded an institute and magic school. After a lengthy ordeal to literally forge a castle on the fringes of a nearby landmass, I was able to create my own haven-- one that I transformed into an acceptable university for young mages. Once everything was initially established, my daughter, Natalia, took my place as Archmage so that I could properly retire. The spark of adventuring has flared within me again, and I have come back to Blackstone to see what wonders the old Keep can still offer.

Upon my arrival... I happened to cross Eclipse Solanova, my colleague and closest friend. Unfortunately I have not seen her since, and she has eluded my scrying attempts. But I will say more should you write back.

Tell me what Jonathan Pryce the Sorcerer has been up to all these many years?

Sincerely yours,

Tash <3
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Nizzle
Count
Count

Post by Nizzle »

Dear Natasha,

I see some things within the confines of the Blackstone Keep change, but it's most knowledgeable scholar does not, which puts a smile on my face. I've never had much of an affinity for the Starkson Protectorate after the incident during my time with the Order, I've tried to stay as far away from the politics and power struggles. But I have grown a strong liking for their very under appreciated storage tower.

I am saddened to hear that Farim no longer prowls the streets looking for his next victim, or as he preferred to put it, naive customers. Although, his prices were high so was the quality of his wares, and he will be missed, surely.

And what became of Jonathan Pryce you inquire? I sought refuge elsewhere from the uncertainty that lies within the battlements of the Keep that once brought much joy to my heart. I went with a small band of adventurers in search of long lost artifacts long forgotten on the planes, and there I've walked ever since, and although it does not offer much in terms of comfort, it has put me onto something I fear may lead me back to the Keep.

I never stopped traveling, after I departed from the realm of Blackstone. I fear if I do, I may be drawn back into the madness that once swore to envelope me. My traveling companions are of a likeminded heart, albeit with entirely different goals and methods then the ones practised and revered within the Order. Also, speaking of the Order, what has become of it?

And I apologize for not keeping in touch... It has been too long, but opening old wounds can be dangerous and I am no physician.

Yours truly,

J. Pryce
Gibbo
Duke
Duke

Post by Gibbo »

Dear Jonathan,

The Arcane Order.

The mere mention of its name makes me swell in pride, but this particular dish has a bittersweet aftertaste. It has as rich and deep history as any protectorate, hunting lodge, or monastery in the realm of Blackstone. However, like the endless cycles of the sea, all these have their high and low tides. Sadly, the receding waters of the Order have made it a dead sea of sorts. Aside from Eclipse, I have not seen any of the old members. You would not know the hin I speak of, but I occasionally write to a talented summoner known as Mitt'rath. He, Eclipse, and myself were a tight-knit group of experienced members years ago. I can already guess what you're thinking, and no you did not miss anything-- professionally in any regard.

I believe Lord Jon Litefingers and Mitt'rath had a correspondence with each other, however catching Jon -- let alone in a good mood -- is a challenge. Admittedly, I have been looking for an affordable and reliable contact that has close ties to the underbelly of Blackstone. Having a pair of eyes and ears in the shadows is always a good idea... especially when I eventually cross the next big threat to the realm and require someone to watch my back.

In your travels, did you find anything noteworthy? Some ancient relic, lost to the history books and tomes of lore? I reminisce to the day I first discovered my scrying orb, buried until a ton of rubble in an abandoned Azul temple. Interestingly enough, I could sense its aura of magic through the ruins, but at the same time it seemed to beckon me. I suppose if I were a long lost treasure, I'd want to be found by the first passerby as well.

Also, should you apologize for one more thing, I'll be sure to send the next letter with a Runeword fireball scribed into the page...

Playfully joking,

Tash <3
ZOMFGOMBIES!
Nizzle
Count
Count

Post by Nizzle »

Dearest Natasha,

A sad day for our esteemed community of knowledgeable wizards and witches. Perhaps I will help to rectify this, should I happen to come across Blackstone Keep again, but only the gods will tell.

In my travels for long lost artifacts I have found several gems of the mystic seas, so to speak. Things varying from simple protection imbued rings to demon-possessed swords. It has been and still is a quite remarkable journey, which my companions are a great part of making so. Recently however, I have been growing increasingly worried due to my latest find, a tome of great age, whom speak of omnipotent creatures, or rather beings whom had abilities far beyond our comprehension, I believe they are the ones Blackstone was forewarned about a few years back, when the obelisks started appearing all over.

However, for now, I am out of time to write you much more. Tell me more of the lands of Blackstone and their current state if you can, I would very much appreciate it.

And by the way, you wouldn't happen to know what became of the witch who enrolled in the Order, not too long after myself? Scarlet, I think was her name.

Yours truly,

J. Pryce