EVENT: Adventuring 101

Use this forum for In Character Interactions only.

Moderators: DM_eaze, Luceran, DM_Jaydaan, ST_DM_Myle, dm_xeen1, DM Nexus, DM_TrainWrek, Carpe_DM1, DM_Unicorn, DM_Griphon, DM_Shadowlands, dm_zane, DM_Centaur, DM_Mystic, DM Rendyll, DM_Avalon

Carpe_DM1
Count
Count

EVENT: Adventuring 101

Post by Carpe_DM1 »

Hamian paced in circles and stops every now and then to glance down at the pile of applications on his desk. Rifling through them, he shakes his head. 'This, is what we have to rely on?', he mutters to himself. Sighing, he looks up at the heavens as if seeking an answer. Thinking back to the day his liege lord summoned him into the Keep he recalled being told that he must train these newcomers and do it right. Teach them to defend Blackstone and persevere against any and all odds.

Schooling his expression into a steel hard stern look, he gathered up the files of his new recruits and sat down to study his students strengths and weaknesses. 'Well, let's see what I get out of this on opening day' he whispered to himself and opened the first file

//OOC This is an IC thread for participants to post about themselves and their impression of life in this event.
"Common sense is not so common" -Voltaire
"I thought to myself 'Why doesn't someone do something about that?' ...And then I realized I'm someone" - Lily Tomlin (when commenting on the environment and other tragic circumstances)
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Lorgath had been kicked out of his tribe.

He never would have known or believed it to be true, but the rest of the tribe was happy to be rid of him. All the times he had gotten into drunken brawls, been asleep when the nomadic tribe was attacked, accosting the chief's daughter numerous times. All these things and more had made him a bit of a problem.

They recognized their chance to be rid of the big brute one wintry evening when the tribe was attacked by an onslaught of raiders from the east. Men on horses galloped through the middle of the tents, killing a few unsuspecting tribesmen.

At the time, Lorgath had been sleeping with a jug of mead on top of one of the supply wagons. He had not had enough yet to bring him into his usual alcohol induced coma. The commotion woke him, and he rolled off the wagon purely as an accident.

The 300 pounds of barbarian mass fell on top of a raider who had been galloping by. The horse fell to the ground, and the raider had been crushed under horse and drunk Lorgath.

When the young barbarian stood, the raider was dead, and a long weapon was lying nearby. It turns out the rest of the tribesmen had routed the raiders, and Lorgath had fallen on the last retreating enemy.

The village praised his efforts, awarding him the enemy's weapon. They had told him it was known as a "naginata." There was even a large celebration in his honor. He sang and danced and became quite drunk.

If he had been observant, he would have noticed some of his fellow tribesmen laughing over his acquisition of a "woman's blade." He may have heard the planning regarding notice of a upcoming "adventurer's school" being hosted at the far away Blackstone Keep. He would have known that he was being sent to the school, not as an honor and to learn the use of the weapon, but as a plan to get him out of their hair.

But he was happy and content for the chance to roam, see new regions, find new sources of alcohol, experience new women and, of course, to practice his fine singing voice during his drunken revelries. Yes, this was a good arrangement for him AND his tribe.
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

She was sick of being mistaken for one of those urchins near the docks playing tag. She had been through more than most in her short life and if her sister would not help her become a great fighter, maybe this Hamian person would.

She managed to save a small amount of gold, purchased what she thought she'd need to survive and headed to the hamlet to turn in her application. What a let down. She sighed and handed in her application.

The area was full of nothing but oafs and elves. As always, she was overlooked and jostled around as the "boys" flexed their muscles and compared the size of their weapons. A bunch of farmer's sons too, by the look of it. There were few women there, one named Sil seemed nice enough though.

At one point, a half orc, asked her what her name was. He nearly burst his ill-fitting leather armor when she responded simply and quietly, "Mouse."

As she walked home she thought on it and realized that the others probably looked at her with similar thoughts of weakness and ineptness. Those that even noticed her anyway. She'd prove them wrong and maybe, just maybe, they would prove her wrong.

Until then though, no quarter given and none expected.
Last edited by Fenrip on Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

Kurgosh, young and naive, never did fully understand the "slavery" concept. All he knew is work needed to be done and the whip master swung hard.

Despite his size, he was actually quite gentle...something his parents and slave driver never did like. They had wanted a fearsome beast. What they got was a softie...or so it seemed.

Kurgosh spent much of his time tilling the land, or chopping trees for the slave owner. In his spare time though, he would spend it with almost anyone.

One day, Kurgosh rounded the corner of the barn to find the whipmaster beating a young halfling. The whipmaster turned and swung at Kurgosh for not minding his own business...but was too late. The large orc was already on the move, and closing like a freight train. With one blow, the orc crushed the man's skull, causing the man to scream out.

As Kurgosh gathered up the crumpled halfling, he decided he'd been at the farm just about long enough. He took the halfling to its home and struck out for a school he'd heard about.
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
Ghost4life
Count
Count

Post by Ghost4life »

I am. That is the first thing I could remember... I awoke on a ship.. I had a few supplies... a sword.. dagger... a bow and some crude armor... I am.... I heard the boatman yell a name. Iain... I am Iain... I stepped off the boat and onto dry land... I followed the herd of other "adventurers" out into a clearing outside the confining stone walls, who's only saving point is the large tree that they saw fit to keep. I am Iain... I told the odd looking man in the clearing my name... he sorted me into an odd group.... no one spoke to me... I am Iain, still unaware as to what I am doing... all I know is that I am.
dmcclain
Count
Count

Post by dmcclain »

Lady Topanga said I have to write this thing about my self so...here it is.

I was made to be there, I didn't want to be there. Lady T said it would be a good learning experience for me.

I went, it was ok, guess I'll go back.

Aerosmith Sevendust

//ooc as you can see, Aerosmith doesn't have the best attitude...every class has one...maybe someone can be friend her and change her attitude for the better.
"People in Icewater want Hell!"

~Harley Quinn, Batman Hush
Caesius
Duke
Duke

Post by Caesius »

"Mother? Are you in here?" An elvish woman in her middle years continued to move clothing from basket to armoire at her usually efficient pace as she responded. "Yes dear, I am just sorting the laundry."

A younger elf came up the stairs excitedly, her raven colored hair inherited from her mother. Her green eyes inherited from her father.

"Look Mother! I have been accepted! I'm going to train to be an adventurer at Master Hamian's school."

The elder woman sighs softly and stops her work. She turns to the young one and looks upon her with concern yet understanding. "Are you sure this is what you want Sil? So many people die from such a life. I would not know what I would do were I to lose you you know..."

At this, Silhouette takes her mother's hand and responds in her most reassuring tone. "I know you how you feel, but this is something I've wanted to do since I was little. Besides, I'm going to a school first so I know I'll be ready for anything!"

After a few moments of silence, Sil's mother nods. "I know I cannot stop you from going. Just promise me that you will be careful out there? No matter what you may find in this life, I will pray for your safe return... and do make sure to bundle up."

"Don't worry mom. I promise to come back safe AND I intend to come back as one of the most famous fencers in the lands!"

A soft chuckle comes from her mother's lips. "Oh dear, your father tells far too many of those adventure stories doesn't he. Well if you are set upon this then let me help you pack at least. I would be negligent if I were to allow you forget something you know."

"Oh mother..." Sil rolls her eyes at the constant fussing.
The only constant is change.
Carpe_DM1
Count
Count

Post by Carpe_DM1 »

Trying to make as little sound in his armor as possible, Hamian slowly made his way through the cave. In two small holes he dug he dropped a few small things and then poured a glowing viscous fluid over it. A bit of a rumble but nothing else happened. Turning away, he contemplated the other denizens of this cave. 'This should do the trick', he muttered and began carefully making his way out of the cave so that its inhabitants aren't disturbed by his prescence. 'Now I just need one or two of these vermin to come with me...', he whispered as he thought about how to go about it.

Upon deciding that he'd just literally grab and carry two, one or two of the little lizardmen ran by squeaking fearfully. Looking behind him, he understood why. The growth potion had worked a bit too well. Taking off after the running kobolds he managed to herd a couple towards where he knew his unprepared first class would be waiting.

Sure enough, they were unprepared, but at least they rallied fairly quick and formed a decent attempt at support. Schooling his expression into a stern look, he walked up to his class and looked over them, needing no introduction, they knew it was him. Good, some had done a bit of homework. Looking around as he took roll call, he assessed each student he saw; strengths and weaknesses, racial and personality issues and so on.

Then saying very little and believing in on-the-job training, sent his new class back to the cave to learn as they went and find out why the kobolds left. Choking down another one of Foxmore's vile potions, he disappeared from sight and then took out a scroll and read it, muffling his footsteps. He quietly followed his students as they went on their first mission.

Nodding to himself he saw that they were starting to work as a team, together, they successfully made it to the middle with only a few heavy hits, one of which required his divine intervention. So far so good. They cleared the whole outer cave of the infestation of what they had discovered were giant bugs. Shaking his head, Hamian reminded himself to go and have a chat with the senile old wizard, Foxmore. Large bugs, yes not gargantuan as a few of these had become. Oh well, keep observing, I will step in should it be too much for them, he thought to himself.

Watching them head to the gate in the middle he knew something was wrong the second they opened it into the horns of a very angry monstrous beetle. It took all in his power to just go reawaken the ones who fell and heal them instead of kill the creature himself. They need to learn and death is the hardest lesson of all. They cleared the infestation out then began hypothesizing to answer the question Hamian had sent them here with. He used his Rune and returned to the Keep popping into Foxmore's on the way back to the Hamlet.

The crazy old geezer looked at him with a kindly smile as he walked in. 'Hamian! How did everything go?', he wheezed. Hamian could barely contain his anger, ' I told you an enlargement spell, to make bugs a bit larger but not dragon sized!'. Startled, Foxmore consulted his book 'No, I made it quite correctly. Perhaps you should examine the bottle?', he replied.

Pulling out the bottle he looked at the label with its ridiculously fine print. "To be Stirred, not Shaken" the words say under the label with the potions name on it. Shaking his head, he realized he never did either sort of swirling it a bit to pour it all out. 'The solution wasnt evenly distributed, Hamian, hence your large bugs. No worries', said Foxmore over his shoulder as he patted his crystal globe,'I was watching and you were there and they were safe enough.' Throwing Foxmore a dirty look for not having explained further instructions other than "pour", he left to go meet his class.

In the Hamlet he saw a battle weary, injured, confused and ill looking class. One thing caught his attention though, even though they were in no condition to continue, they all stood tall and still had some daring in their eyes, a yearning to keep going. Smiling only on the inside so that they couldnt see, he was proud of these new students, looks like they have the first thing needed to be a decent adventurer... the curiosity and desire to be one.

Outwardly he remained impassive as he must be, gave faint praise for indeed they had done well until the final gated area. He lectured them firmly about the risks of rushing without investigation or preparation. Hamian knew by the haunted look on some faces that finding their own deaths and seeing those of others and being powerless to do anything about it, that they had learned todays crucial lesson. Being an adventurer can be fun and enriching but more often is laced with danger, injury and death. Being ill prepared to handle situations most assuredly brings about the latter.

Nodding quietly he hands out small pouches with a small payment to show their acceptance into his school. They did after all do a service (which was engineered by himself) to Blackstone but needed a small pick me up after the very hard first day. They learned a lot today but still have plenty to learn. Hamian shakes his head as the able adventuring amateurs fell into some discussions about dividing their loot, and turns away heading back to make his own report. Potential...maybe.
"I thought to myself 'Why doesn't someone do something about that?' ...And then I realized I'm someone" - Lily Tomlin (when commenting on the environment and other tragic circumstances)
Whitewolf
Baron
Baron

Post by Whitewolf »

“Is it contagious?â€
“Even though my life is eternal, my patience is not.â€
Thanatos
Duke
Duke

Post by Thanatos »

*Kurgosh thinks to himself*

"Hmmm, me not know if me likes hurting others...But me not wants other peoples hurt either. I guess I follow Iian...he knows whats he's doing. Me not like big bugs either...they hurts.

Me hungry."
Fact: Ninjas are mammals
Fact: Ninjas fight ALL the time
viobane
Duke
Duke

Post by viobane »

Lorgath awoke with a splitting headache. He gingerly looked to his left and his right, and as he did so, black spots formed in his eyes.

It appeared that he was in some sort of room. Probably an inn of some sort. He noticed that he was lying on an old wooden floor. A bed was a few feet from him, and for some unknown reason, he had been using one of his boots as a pillow.

What am I doing here
, he thought to himself as he sat up and began rubbing his temples with his right hand. He lifted his left, but it was wrapped around a mostly empty ale jug. He shrugged and drank the final dredges of the bitter brew and pondered his predicament.

He had left his tribe. He remembered that much. Something about a journey. An adventure?

"Eon's Mighty Breast!!!" Lorgath swore and jumped to his feet, forgetting his headache. "That adventurer's school starts today!"

He rushed about the room, trying to find his gear. His clothing was spread throughout the room, and he noticed that his money pouch was empty. He must have had a VERY good evening with one of the bar wenches, but he couldn't remember a spot of it.

He threw on his clothing, wrapped his breastplate into place and hoisted his large polearm over his shoulder and ran from the room.

The tavern was busy, as it was all hours of the day and night. Patrons took his disarray in stride, as he tried to avoid decapitating any customers running amongst the tables.

Rushing outside was not the best idea. The early evening sun beat its way into his skull like piercing arrows, and he covered his eyes with his free hand. Thinking this was how a vampire must feel, the large barbarian trudged his way toward the hamlet, where he knew he was supposed to meet the others.

The hamlet was bare, however. A lone traveler walked along the path, whistling a formless tune. "Hey, you," Lorgath bellowed. The sound of his own voice echoed in his head, pounding his brain as effectively as a blunt weapon. "Where are all the students for the adventurer school?"

"What's that?" the man said, "Oh, you mean the fledgling students that Hamian guy is teaching? Why, they were out here this morning, but that was about half a day ago."

Lorgath rammed his naginata into the earth and swore again. First day of class, and he was already behind. His tribe would not have been shocked, not in the least.

He pulled his weapon from the moist earth, noting that he'd need to clean it now. Shrugging to himself, he muttered his thanks to the random adventurer and headed back to the inn. After all, the cure for a good hangover was more liquor, right?
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

Mouse sighed as she entered the room that she and her sister used to share at the Maiden. She took off her new pack, threw it on the bed, and sighed heavily.

Even though the pack was lighter on her shoulders than it should have been, it weighed heavily on her back all the way home. In it was a couple traps and the kukri acquired after Hamian’s first lesson. It seemed a major point of contention that she had it while others came away without a new weapon or gold.

She wondered if she would have felt the same as others if the weapon was a rapier, sword, or axe that had gone to another. She quickly realized she would have been fine with that and would have waited for something more to her liking.

It was exactly what she was looking for even though she knew she could not use it for some time. However, when that time came it would be used for the good of the group. Well, at least for the good of those that did not try to make her feel guilty for selecting it. If that continued, she’d simply pocket what she could and leave the rest to squabble for what was left. That did not seem to be the best way to go about it with her “classmatesâ€
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
Ghost4life
Count
Count

Post by Ghost4life »

Iain lay in his bunk in the Playful maiden.. the owner took pity on him, after Iain assured that he would be good for the money after the next class session. He smiled as he thought back to the day's lesson and how well the few who DID listen to what he had to say turned out... admittedly, he screwed up, the last room was an utter fiasco... but so what? we got out of it alright...

He lays there a moment arguing with himself, "how could I be so stupid?" he thought to himself. "I let the little ones... the SCOUTS go in FIRST! I KNEW there was danger there.. KNEW there was a large bug waiting behind the door... I should have sent in the orc.. Kurgosh I think his name was..."

After spending a few more restless moments in bed he gets up and goes to the wash basin, clumsily washing his face off in the cold water left in front of the vanity. He quickly towel dries and gets ready to go to the bar to get a drink only then realizing that he gave his reward money to the scouts as a special gift, a reward for a job well done. He sighs as he flops back down on the bed face down and tries to sleep.
Fenrip
Duke
Duke

Post by Fenrip »

Mouse exited the keep early one morning and sat on the drawbridge watching the fish swim by. She noted that without the gate constantly opening and closing, they were calm and readily came to the surface to snap up bits of bread falling from her morning meal. That would be their downfall.

She readied her sling and threw a handful of crumbs on the surface. Up they came and down whizzed a stone from her sling. It was a direct hit. Lunch would be better than a few bites of bread. She found a branch and was able to scoop up the fish without having to wade in or swim.

She was admiring her handiwork and preparing to repeat the process when she spied Kurgosh approaching. She thought she heard him humming a tune but could have been mistaken. As she was studying him, he stopped suddenly and looked intently toward a tree. Mouse got nervous, thinking that someone was spying on her from the tree. She could not see anything but Kurgosh clearly could.

She was about to call out to him and then she saw it too. It was a bird. A small colorful bird that had caught his attention. She relaxed and shook her head as the bird took flight. Kurgosh's face split into a large smile and he nearly fell over backwards tracking the bird's flight over his head. He watched the bird for a moment longer and then resumed his trek toward the keep.

As he drew near, Mouse noticed him notice the fish. He looked at the fish, licked his lips, and then looked at her. "Making friends with a moving wall may be just the thing I want to do," she thought to herself.
My memory used to be better. Also, my memory used to be better.
Carpe_DM1
Count
Count

Post by Carpe_DM1 »

Pacing around the rather tiny shop that Foxmore runs, Hamian kept glancing over at the old man in impatience, "Well?", he asked. The old mage sighed over the bottle he was holding and nodded his head. "Yes, Hamian, I just finished. You know, summoning these mechanical creatures and stuffing them in this bottle takes time and concentration and you, young man, should know that." Handing the silver bottle over to Hamian, Foxmore waved him out and went back to work.

Once outside, Hamian pocketed the bottle and headed toward the Hamlet where, he expected his students to be waiting for him. As he approached the group, he opened the bottle and set it in front of him, the vapor that came out of the bottle coalesced into a dozen little mechanical creatures that promptly ran into the group of surprised students. Analyzing their response time, Hamian stifled a grin of pleasure at how swiftly his students rallied and defeated his little surprise.

Marching into the circle of now alert students, Hamian sat down and waited for his class to settle. Noting who was present and who was absent, he told them that a friend of his needed them and that they would be summoned promptly. Then sat back and watched them disappear one by one.