Forge Stone Vender

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Areani
Commoner
Commoner

Forge Stone Vender

Post by Areani »

Hey! I just wanted to throw this out there-- Currently at end-game level gold serves little to no purpose and players are stacking MILLIONS of gold that is just gathering dust. Even with the Blackrose merchant, I doubt a lot of players see gold as a valuable asset. I was throwing around this idea to a couple players and they seem to agree that maybe a merchant that sold forge stones for HIGH gold prices may be a good thing. Currently as is, forge stones are the main source of currency leaving gold in a very underwhelming place. I think if a merchant that sold stones existed, it would make gold useful as well as make gold a valid currency at all stages in the game. At the same time, I don't think stones should be easily acquired so I do think the prices should be very high(to throw out random numbers, 5mil for cobalt's- 10mil for reds-20mil for blues ect). While a byproduct of this may be making specific stones easier to acquire, it would also give a reason for players to actively use gold in transactions and to make/save it at high levels. Thanks for reading!
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Re: Forge Stone Vender

Post by Kane0 »

I’d prefer to be able to exchange forge stones for different colors somehow, but I agree on needing some sort of gold sink beyond level 10.

Things that could potentially be gold sinks:
- Portals (scaling by level)
- resting (scaling by level)
- the electrifier
- the random property rod
- a forge stone exchanger (transmogrifier? Call it the philosopher’s forge!)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Kane0 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 am I’d prefer to be able to exchange forge stones for different colors somehow, but I agree on needing some sort of gold sink beyond level 10.

- a forge stone exchanger (transmogrifier? Call it the philosopher’s forge!)
Now, that's a creative suggestion! I like!

Also, there are some items in Akon's worth paying a lot for. I'm thinking if driller added some more stuff (equal to forged stuff, minus the AB, perhaps) there, it could also be a gold sink.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

That would ruin the whole concept of farming stones, trading and playing. I think raising the GP cost of forging an item would be a better gold sink.
Areani
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Areani »

I don't think it would ruin the concept of farming stones- if the stones have a monetary value then there still would be as much reason to farm them as well as farming for things to make gold in the first place. As is, most people are only farming for stones doing the bosses for an hour or so a day because it's the only true efficient way. Adding a stone vendor would be more then just a gold sink- it would create an economy on the server. Right now trades are based on what people need/want rather then actual values of items and that I think ultimately reduces the amount of trading between players. By putting a price tag on virtually every item based on the prices of the stone vendor, trades would be a lot more concrete. An example using my random numbers from above, lets take a weapon that is crafted using 1 blue. 1 red, 1 silver, 1 cobalt, 1 crimson. Currently that's worth whatever someone wants to pay, but with a gold value backing the stones, with the random numbers I suggested that'd be 20mil + 10 + 5 + 5 +5 = a 45mil gold value worth wep, giving or taking from the value based on how well it rolled. I think putting a vendor that solidifies pricing on stones, actually encourages farming/trading/playing- it just changes the format of why we currently farm and trade.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

I don't agree with this. Being able to buy what you want takes away from the game, it also would eliminate one of the satisfying aspects of playing. I will never implement something like this.
Areani wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:30 pm I don't think it would ruin the concept of farming stones- if the stones have a monetary value then there still would be as much reason to farm them as well as farming for things to make gold in the first place. As is, most people are only farming for stones doing the bosses for an hour or so a day because it's the only true efficient way. Adding a stone vendor would be more then just a gold sink- it would create an economy on the server. Right now trades are based on what people need/want rather then actual values of items and that I think ultimately reduces the amount of trading between players. By putting a price tag on virtually every item based on the prices of the stone vendor, trades would be a lot more concrete. An example using my random numbers from above, lets take a weapon that is crafted using 1 blue. 1 red, 1 silver, 1 cobalt, 1 crimson. Currently that's worth whatever someone wants to pay, but with a gold value backing the stones, with the random numbers I suggested that'd be 20mil + 10 + 5 + 5 +5 = a 45mil gold value worth wep, giving or taking from the value based on how well it rolled. I think putting a vendor that solidifies pricing on stones, actually encourages farming/trading/playing- it just changes the format of why we currently farm and trade.
Gimili
Count
Count

Post by Gimili »

driller wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:24 am That would ruin the whole concept of farming stones, trading and playing. I think raising the GP cost of forging an item would be a better gold sink.
Agreed
Gimili Lockbearer -Trusted Dwarf, friend of the elves.
Balrog- Right Hand Associate of Warlock the Evil
Morgoth- Kazrite General V.P. Of the Kazrites
TedRo
Commoner
Commoner

Post by TedRo »

I think making Forging much more expensive would make Forging prohibitive for brand new level 40 players trying to break in to the end-game. It isn't until you hit that end-game farm mark that you start stacking 10s of millions of gold. I think the server would be improved with a gold sink, but only if the sink was satisfying to use. Maybe cosmetics, or another good idea.

Maybe really powerful potions/buff item consumables to use on boss fights
driller wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:24 am That would ruin the whole concept of farming stones, trading and playing. I think raising the GP cost of forging an item would be a better gold sink.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Ideas for more potential GP sinks

- Armor modification
- Player models and voicesets
- Resting within the 2 hour limit, or resting faster
- 'In the field' consumable vendor (heal kits, potions, scrolls, ammo, etc)
- 'In the field' pawn shop (sell only)
- Hirelings (vanity pets!)
- Forge 'templates' or 'recipes'
- Character relevel
- Alignment adjustment
sphinx
Count
Count

Post by sphinx »

Maybe not a gp sink but you could get "skins" by spending xp. (I guess thats a player model) Gives ppl incentive to play one character more if you have a large xp cost for a cool looking skin or wings or something to make your character unique.

I do like the idea of gold sink and I also think an xp sink would be a good idea since all it does is stack as well.
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

Post by itchyfunk »

How about an auction house?

That way players could 1) set the gold to stone ratio based upon drops and the evolution of the mod, 2) effectively trade stones and other items - again based on the market value. It would drive consensus on what makes for a good exchange vs a bad exchange. (I hate bartering for this reason).

All though a genie market like they had in HOTU for "in field" sells would be super convenient, I don't know that it's needed in this mod. It's got a pretty sweet portal system.
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

itchyfunk wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:26 pm All though a genie market like they had in HOTU for "in field" sells would be super convenient, I don't know that it's needed in this mod. It's got a pretty sweet portal system.
Paying for convenience is sort of the point of coming up with additional gold sinks.
itchyfunk
Baron
Baron

Post by itchyfunk »

I get that but it's not that big thing when all your really buying is not walking down one flight of stairs... Now, if the vendor had a higher limit, like Akons.... But then that's just more gold from a one time spend.
Active Toons:
- Itchy Smurf
- Isioviel Aerendyl
- Eima Glaskanone
- Forgee et (Minot)