Elf Blade for Bladeweaver

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Elf Blade for Bladeweaver

Post by Cornflower »

I just got my Elf Blade on my new Bladeweaver toon. Nice!

Here's a comparison between the Elf Blade and what you can get from loot at one of the quests and socket gems. Since standard damage is the same, I only calculate the "extra damage". I also ignore enhancements excepting sockets.

Lvl 8, average damage per hit
Elf Blade: 1/6 * (8+5) = 2.1
Loot blade: 2/20 * d10 (keen) + 2/20*d6 (mass crit) = 0.9

Lvl 12:
Elf Blade: 1/6 * (12+5) = 2.8
Loot blade: 2/20 * d10 (keen) + 2/20*d6 (mass crit) + d6 (socket) = 4.4

Lvl 16:
Elf Blade: 1/6 * (16+5) = 3.5
Loot blade: 2/20 * d10 (keen) + 2/20*d6 (mass crit) + 2d6 (socket) = 7.9

Lvl 18:
Elf Blade: 1/6 * (18+5) = 3.8
Loot blade: 2/20 * d10 (keen) + 2/20*d6 (mass crit) + 3d6 (socket) = 11.4

Now, this is not entirely fair comparison, since the Loot blade will stay at 11.4 without Forging, while the Elf blade will peak at 7.5 at level 40, so the Elf Blade will catch up somewhat. Also, the Elf Blade has a chance of healing and a chance of stunning the enemy. Also, the Elf Blade will cut through most DR which is kinda neat.

I guess we all have different reasons of picking the class, but if you think that your new cool Elf Blade will be better than the one you pick up off the ground during one of the main quest chains, you're mistaken. I'm not sure if this is intentional or not, but I must confess to being just a tad disappointed. Now, I might have missed something really important, in which case I humbly will withdraw my suggestion and remind myself to sleep a full night before calculating anything. Anyway, here's my suggestion: Beef up the Elf Blade somewhat, please. Perhaps just add sockets to it?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Elf Blade for Bladeweaver

Post by driller »

You can forge the Elf Blade.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:46 am You can forge the Elf Blade.
You can forge the loot blade too. You can also forge a purchased socketed weapon. The loot blade or a purchased socketed weapon will always be superior by 4-7 points of damage per hit to the Elf Blade if you forge them the same.

I'm not saying you should give the Bladeweaver a totally overpowered weapon. (If you add sockets to the Elf Blade, it will be between 2-7 points better than standard weaponry.)

I'm just saying it's terribly disappointing to have a very interesting new subrace/class with intentionally inferior weaponry. (Again, unless I'm missing something that I should have understood.) I fail to see the logic in that. But, nobody's forcing me to play a bladeweaver, nor to use the provided weapon.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

It has 10% life steal, stun with no save and up to 45 points of magic damage, which most mobs cannot resist. It is plenty powerful.

When used in conjunction with another special item(I let you figure out which), it gets almost to good. I will have to keep an eye on it of course.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:43 pm It has 10% life steal, stun with no save and up to 45 points of magic damage, which most mobs cannot resist. It is plenty powerful.

When used in conjunction with another special item(I let you figure out which), it gets almost to good. I will have to keep an eye on it of course.
OK. I've wrecked my brain trying to figure out what you mean, I have asked around. A lot. Nobody can figure out what item is supposed to make the Elf Blade so good compared to what you can do with a Forged Blade. Any clue? Please?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Anyone have a clue?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

No sorry, but I have discovered you cannot benefit from Flame Weapon with the Elf Blade, as both effects are On Hit and NWN only uses one of those at a time.

Would it be possible to separate the effects so each of the three things it does triggers on its own 1 in 6 chance? Would be easy to change the odds if they were separated too, like the extra damage being a 1d4 chance, the heal 1d6 and the stun 1d8
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Kane0 wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:56 pm Would it be possible to separate the effects so each of the three things it does triggers on its own 1 in 6 chance? Would be easy to change the odds if they were separated too, like the extra damage being a 1d4 chance, the heal 1d6 and the stun 1d8
Heh. Like it!
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Another question about the Elf Blade:

If you get disarmed and the weapon is lost, or lost some other way. Can you get a new one?
If so, I guess you get a "clean" one, so anything you've forged on it is lost?
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

You would get a clean one on level up, this is why it is set to plot.
Cornflower wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:32 am Another question about the Elf Blade:

If you get disarmed and the weapon is lost, or lost some other way. Can you get a new one?
If so, I guess you get a "clean" one, so anything you've forged on it is lost?
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Post by Yunim »

Is there a way to deal with a disarmed/disappeared Elf Blade at level 40?
driller wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 am You would get a clean one on level up, this is why it is set to plot.
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

Yes.
Yunim wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:03 pm Is there a way to deal with a disarmed/disappeared Elf Blade at level 40?
driller wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 am You would get a clean one on level up, this is why it is set to plot.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

I think on:hit bonus damage (half level in magical) would be nice, as it competes with what you'd get from Flame Weapon, and leave the stun and heal as a chance on hit (separate chance for each)