Idea for socket changes

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Idea for socket changes

Post by Kane0 »

- Socket items appear in varieties with up to 5 slots via loot
- 2 slot items available in Blackstone, smiths beyond can add additional slots to an item (eg 3rd in Bordermarch, 4th in oasis, 5th in UD)
- Damage sockets on weapons start at 1d4 and stack up to 1d8 - 1d12 - 2d8 - 2d10
- Blackstone smith can give an enchantment bonus up to +2, smiths beyond the keep can go higher up to +5 (doesn't count against sockets used)
- Damage immunity on socket items goes from 5% to 25%, so much the same as now but spread out more (also allows a bit of mix and matching)

Just a thought, no increase in power over the current setup but encourages going out beyond the keep and powering up your weapon incrementally as you go while also providing a lot more variety in socketed weapon damage options (and thus critter damage resistance options)
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Re: Idea for socket changes

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

I'm of the opinion that if it isn't broken, don't fix it. Socket stones are great as they are.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Well yeah, but we have both a suggestion section and a bug section for just that reason.

But if you want justification: under the current system why would you ever put two runes of the same type into a weapon, or fill an armor with more than one kind of rune? And if driller makes a critter with elemental resistance 5 that will mitigate the vast majority of socketed weapon damage against them. Taking the changes above into account stacking is both a worthwhile tradeoff on its own and enables you to punch through resistance 5, 10 and potentially even 15 if you fully stack rather than getting neutered by a creature with lesser ring of power level protection.
Pretty Fly White Guy
Duke
Duke

Post by Pretty Fly White Guy »

I was under the impression that the suggestion section was for people to discuss suggestions, which is what I was doing.

You might want to use more than one of the same type of socket on a weapon to stop it going over the level 40 limit when forging.
Kane0 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:45 pm Well yeah, but we have both a suggestion section and a bug section for just that reason.

But if you want justification: under the current system why would you ever put two runes of the same type into a weapon, or fill an armor with more than one kind of rune? And if driller makes a critter with elemental resistance 5 that will mitigate the vast majority of socketed weapon damage against them. Taking the changes above into account stacking is both a worthwhile tradeoff on its own and enables you to punch through resistance 5, 10 and potentially even 15 if you fully stack rather than getting neutered by a creature with lesser ring of power level protection.
The Flying Rodent
Count
Count

Post by The Flying Rodent »

Kane0 wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:54 am - Socket items appear in varieties with up to 5 slots via loot
- 2 slot items available in Blackstone, smiths beyond can add additional slots to an item (eg 3rd in Bordermarch, 4th in oasis, 5th in UD)
- Damage sockets on weapons start at 1d4 and stack up to 1d8 - 1d12 - 2d8 - 2d10
- Blackstone smith can give an enchantment bonus up to +2, smiths beyond the keep can go higher up to +5 (doesn't count against sockets used)
- Damage immunity on socket items goes from 5% to 25%, so much the same as now but spread out more (also allows a bit of mix and matching)

Just a thought, no increase in power over the current setup but encourages going out beyond the keep and powering up your weapon incrementally as you go while also providing a lot more variety in socketed weapon damage options (and thus critter damage resistance options)
5 sockets per item, socket damage increasing to 2d10, and having potentially up to 75% Immunity to a particular damage type with 3x25% items? I fail to see how this amounts to “no increase in power over the current setup” ...

The general trend of the recent changes has been to nerf defensive items, as well as encourage people to used Forge Stone crafted items at the highest level. Giving greater power to socket gems via higher immunities and extra damage I cannot see happening , nor can I see the number of sockets per item increasing.

I like the idea of adding multiple smiths at the different major towns (similar to the way portal rooms were added), but I do not like the idea of grading them from +2 to +5. There are times where equipment dependent characters may benefit from using up to +5 weapons , before they’ve managed to make it to the Oasis. I’d leave Gruther as is.
Kazrite Army Members:

Gladdis the Damned
Thanatos
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Sorry i should have specified armor goes up to 5 slots, helms and shields stay as they are with 1. Same 35% max

2d10 damage comes to an average of 11, 3d6 averages to 10.5 assuming zero resistances.
Kane0
Duke
Duke

Post by Kane0 »

Or hey, maybe just a new set of socket gems that have extra damage/AC vs [creature type]

Hmm. Thinking of those largely useless Blue and yellow weapons in loot, how about changing those to partially pre-filled socket weapons? You wouldn't be able to take the sockets out but at least you could finish filling them (with the socket gems you find in the same loot chests) for selling.