Remove Bag of holding

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Terankar
Knight
Knight

Remove Bag of holding

Post by Terankar »

I know this is without doubt not popular, but here goes.

A common issue of server lag is all the items that needs to be identified by the engine everytime a player logs in with tons of extra items in bag of holding.

We already have a storage system in the game, but could we move the beggar? heh.... another thing for another day!

If we used the storage system more and removed bag of holding all together, the server would be less laggy at times.
Mask-inc
Duke
Duke

Re: Remove Bag of holding

Post by Mask-inc »

I run a merchants guild for one thing, I must have thousand of items, so where do i put those as per your suggestion, in the 20 items max chest?
What cause lag is the amount of items/bags on a toon, if you keep it to around 30 bags full of stuff on a single toon, it will cause zero lag. FYI

Mask
**Master Halaster Blackcloak, Los Illuminados Alianza Grand Master**

Minion- Impling
Sir Del Goodman- Exile from Starkson Protectorate
Karthak Strongarms- Slayer of Undead
Rikus Strongarms- Grand Scythe Master
Lomnek Strongarms- Dwarven Tank
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Terankar wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:18 am ...

A common issue of server lag is all the items that needs to be identified by the engine everytime a player logs in with tons of extra items in bag of holding.

If we used the storage system more and removed bag of holding all together, the server would be less laggy at times.
Is this something you actually know for certain, or do you just think so?

I used to run a fairly large PW (so large we were top 4 on Bioware's list and had to run it on two servers) and in no way was the major lag causer the amount of items on players. OnHeartbeat was always the major lag causer. I suppose it's different today, but still. I would bet that the number of items you can potentially carry on a player is not the biggest lag issue.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Terankar
Knight
Knight

Post by Terankar »

this is from experience myself from the old nwn version.

another culprit was remains from mobs, but this is adressed very nicely with monster chests.

I play on another server where they are removed entirely specificly for that reason.