Better Monk gear?

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Better Monk gear?

Post by Cornflower »

I usually don't play a monk, but I was kinda thinking about going out into the world with an unarmed monk, mostly for fun and coolness. But, thinking about it, I realized there are some very strong reasons not to play unarmed monks.

1. As an unarmed monk, you're going to lose one (actually two, since you lose one and not gain one shield/offhand) sources of enchantments/enhancements. Since you don't use a weapon, but instead use the gloves as your weapon, you will lose the glove slot, most often meaning that you can't have the classic Gloves of Combat. Now, this isn't compensated through the monk's classic DR, since it's useless as long as every monster has better than +1 weaponry (which almost everyone does).

2. You can forge much better weapons than you can forge gloves. For example, any weapon can get +2d12 +3d6 +keen +2d12 mass crit, which a lot more than the gloves can get at +2d10 +3d6. (I know you can add OnHit, but the DC is so low it will not kick in.) Yes, the fist is d20 as opposed to most weapons are around d10, but there's still a lot of difference.

3. You will have better AC than most full-plated warriors, yes, but so will any other dex-based fighter, maybe not the same as a monk, but AC doesn't matter much anyway when most high-end monsters are around 80-100 AB.

So, where am I going with this? My humble suggestion is to add some very rare uber-monk-gear, that will compensate for unarmed monks not being able to Forge as good weaponry, losing one (actually two) gear slot and not being able to take advantage of the good AC.

An easy solution: If you add some nice gloves, that would prevent monks from benefitting both from Forged Kamas and this new uber-glove. You can also add some nice robes (with some relevant DR that actually work against the +20 weaponry of bosses). That will probably not upset any other balance, but would make the unarmed monk viable again.

(I know every class can't be equal, but monk is usually to be more or less equal to a fighter, but since we have much better Forging for fighters, that balance is gone.)
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Better Monk gear?

Post by driller »

Aside from some wrong numbers. You can make gloves just like any weapon(all the rolls are the exact same) except keen and massive crits, the NWN game engine doesn't allow gloves to have those properties. I have put a set of Monk robes in Akons that are equivalent to combat gloves.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

driller wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:21 pm Aside from some wrong numbers. You can make gloves just like any weapon(all the rolls are the exact same) except keen and massive crits, the NWN game engine doesn't allow gloves to have those properties. I have put a set of Monk robes in Akons that are equivalent to combat gloves.
Interesting, looks like I was misinformed. Anyway, thank you so much for Combat Glove-Robes!!! Wheee!
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
trebusze
Commoner
Commoner

Post by trebusze »

I have put a set of Monk robes in Akons that are equivalent to combat gloves.
Been to Akon just now. Aside pretty cool amount of stuff there, haven't find any special robes that would add any kind of damage to unarmed attacks...?

Nice pair of gloves of +5 with electric, fire and vs. Evil dmg tho, but still, +20 kama seems a better option imo.
Taroc
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Taroc »

I've noticed that the Jade Monk's Tricivara has two Bludgeoning resist 10/-
Is this intentional?
Checked my combat log, and as I thought, doesn't stack, only get 10 DR.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

trebusze wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:13 am
I have put a set of Monk robes in Akons that are equivalent to combat gloves.
Been to Akon just now. Aside pretty cool amount of stuff there, haven't find any special robes that would add any kind of damage to unarmed attacks...?

Nice pair of gloves of +5 with electric, fire and vs. Evil dmg tho, but still, +20 kama seems a better option imo.
You can forge gloves same as kamas, except that you can't add keen and mass criticals.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

Taroc wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:25 pm I've noticed that the Jade Monk's Tricivara has two Bludgeoning resist 10/-
Is this intentional?
It has two bludgeoning resists but no piercing resist. Seems to be a bug.
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Taroc
Commoner
Commoner

Post by Taroc »

Cornflower wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 am
Taroc wrote: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:25 pm I've noticed that the Jade Monk's Tricivara has two Bludgeoning resist 10/-
Is this intentional?
It's been fixed, thank you to whoever fixed it (driller?).
driller
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by driller »

You're welcome.
Taroc wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:20 pm
Cornflower wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:39 am
Is this intentional?
It's been fixed, thank you to whoever fixed it (driller?).