Tar Valon and his Blood Cult High Guards

Post suggestions for improvements here.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Tar Valon and his Blood Cult High Guards

Post by Cornflower »

I spent half a day trying to solo the Blood Cult.

Now, if it's intentional that you can't solo it, so be it. (I know it's supposed to be a party server.) But....

I know you're supposedely able to finish the quest with a spellcaster, using Timestop and lots of other high-level spells, but it would be nice if you could kill Tar Valon with a Fighter. I took him on directly after a reset. After spending about 20 Heals on myself, and not managing to hurt him for several minutes, I gave up. When I analyzed the log afterwards I realized it can't be done.

Now, my Dwarven Defender is expertly designed by a friend who has been playing here since the dawn of time, so I trust that I have a good build. I also have Crown of Thorns, Metal Fist and lots of other forged stuff. Also a +20 Bytor, so I'm pretty confident you can't be much better equipped.

According to the log, Tar Valon has AB 86 on his Harm touch, AB 111 (at least) on his other hit and I have too low AB myself to figure out his AC. I have AB 65, so he has at least 85 AC. I only hit him on crits. He was regenerating faster than I could hurt him.

In general, the Blood Cult area is so hard to get through, that you usually don't get any loot, because it takes so long to kill one guard, the chest the first guard dropped will have disappeared before you're done with the second....

Could you please turn down Tar Valon a bit, so that it's at least theoretically possible to hit him with an AB of 65? His regeneration needs to be turned down too, since he regenerates faster than you can hurt him. Also, perhaps turn down the High Guards a bit too? It takes forever to go through them.

Or, perhaps you could replace the Tar Valon Quest with something else? I still believe that quests (which usually are there to keep single players occupied) should be able to complete on your own, if you have a well-built toon. It's very frustrating to have a quest that you're not even theoretically able to finish on your own.

(Meanwhile, I'm going to level up my wiz to 40 and see if it's possible to get him with a spellcaster as rumour has it.)
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)
Yunim
Duke
Duke

Re: Tar Valon and his Blood Cult High Guards

Post by Yunim »

The Harm effect can be dealt with by using Negative Energy Protection or Shadow Shield.
While using Improved Expertise Tar Valon has AC similar to an Umgah Mage, so +65 AB won't be enough.

All of the Bloodcult mobs can be avoided with invisibility, although they will still attack if you run too close to them. The only creature you have to fight to complete the quest is Tar, you can practically ignore the other mobs.

While Devastating Critical was broken I took my WM there, so I know how much damage Tar does. A properly built and equipped DD will take insignificant physical damage, and a Crown Of Thorns will reduce the non-physical damage to 40 per hit.
So a STR WM and a DD tank should be able to double team Tar without any issues, although it might take a while.

It is possible to solo Tar with a cleric or mage, however depending on your build it could be very difficult.
trebusze
Commoner
Commoner

Post by trebusze »

I couldn't find a single soul to team up against this guy while in game, or anyone who would know this is actually part of a quest at least :roll: So if it turns out to be solo quest it should be doable solo right? But it isn't. Meh on this guy for now.
Cornflower
Duke
Duke

Post by Cornflower »

trebusze wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:12 am I couldn't find a single soul to team up against this guy while in game, or anyone who would know this is actually part of a quest at least :roll: So if it turns out to be solo quest it should be doable solo right? But it isn't. Meh on this guy for now.
It's one of the last quests. It's called Blood Cult. It's the boss whose name is Tar Valon. (Side note: Tar Valon is a city in the Wheel of Time books....)
Who wills, can
Who tries, does
Who loves, lives
(Ann McCaffrey)